Author Topic: Sump Pump Plumbing- Storm Prep Question #2  (Read 1364 times)

scott123

Sump Pump Plumbing- Storm Prep Question #2
« on: October 27, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
We had a sump pump installed in the corner of the foundation 30 years ago, and, since it hadn't made a peep since we bought it, I just assumed it was no longer functional and dismantled the piping and used the hole in the foundation wall for something else.  Anyway, long story short, during Irene, the sump pump rose from the dead and started shooting water all over the basement.

I really don't want to drill another hole in my 100ish year old foundation, so that gives me a window that's about 2' higher than the original hole (about 4' above the pump). It's a window like this:

http://www.candogal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/old-basement-window.jpg

I have no tech specs on this pump and the paperwork is long gone. From the distance the water shot out during Irene, it seems like the sump pump is pretty strong, but I'm not sure if going from a 4' rise to a 6' rise is too much for it. I'm also concerned that when the pump kicks in, the pipe jerks a bit and that this jerking might be too much for an old basement window frame.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 03:36:39 PM by scott123 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Sump Pump Plumbing- Storm Prep Question #2
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 02:14:01 PM »
Pump strength should be adequate, re-glaze one third window panel with a plastic pipe fitting insert . Rig the interior pipr up the way it's supposed to be fashioned and there will be no stress factors...they have flexi boots that affix to a waterproof insert that gets glazed into your existing light/window. DONE!! Screw a bunch o jack leg plywood....unless you in Beverly Hills wit da Clampeds!!   >:D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:26:12 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »
Any sump pump should have a max head higher than 6 feet. Increasing the height will increase head pressure and therefore decrease the amount of water that the pump can pump. So it will pump slower but it still should be able to keep up.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 02:16:37 PM »
If you can get the window pane out of the way, sandwich the foundation with 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood and some really long deck screws.  Then cut the hole needed for the pipe in the plywood.  This transfers the stress to the plywood and the foundation, and not the window frame.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:27:47 PM by ThatsAmore »
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 02:20:51 PM »
If it's an emergency, attach the hose to the pipe, break the glass in an upper panel and throw it out.  You can pretty it up later.  Just make sure the hose discharges at least 10ft from the house. Stake the end down with twine.   

Get someone else to hold the flashlight while you run around in the freezing rain and wind at 2:00 AM.  Good luck, Scott!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
If it's an emergency, attach the hose to the pipe, break the glass in an upper panel and throw it out.  You can pretty it up later.  Just make sure the hose discharges at least 10ft from the house. Stake the end down with twine.   

Get someone else to hold the flashlight while you run around in the freezing rain and wind at 2:00 AM.  Good luck, Scott!

If it's freezing out then what is the problemo?    8)

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
You need both hands?

scott123

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
Pump strength should be adequate, re-glaze one third window panel with a plastic pipe fitting insert . Rig the interior pipr up the way it's supposed to be fashioned and there will be no stress factors...they have flexi boots that affix to a waterproof insert that gets glazed into your existing light/window. DONE!! Screw a bunch o jack leg plywood....unless you in Beverly Hills wit da Clampeds!!   >:D

Bob, do these inserts have a name?  Are they typical Home Depot/Lowes fare?

scott123

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »

Actually, the window is on a hinge, and it's located in a lattice enclosed area under a porch, so I might just stick the pipe through the open window and leave it that way for the storm.

scott123

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 04:12:20 PM »
Okay, I took another look at the window frame, and, although the frame between the panes of glass is weak and flimsy, the outer frame is pretty sturdy.  It looks like I can pop out a pane of glass, cover the hole by screwing in a piece of  larger piece of plywood into the outer frame and then run the pipe through that.

Thanks, everyone, for your help.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »
You are more than welcome.....Jethro.   :-D
j/k  ;D

Offline sajata

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 08:18:00 PM »
i also have a sump pump and during Irene last year the power went out and the basement got about an inch of water in areas.  I want to get a whole house generator but not in the budget right now and buying a portable is a waste. But what i did do is go to harbor freight and bought a 700w 12v inverter.  It has a 1500w inrush rating. So the plan is if the power does go out run the sump pump off the 12v inverter powered by my car.  Even better i have 2 Toyota hybrids (Camry/Highlander) and the good thing about that is the engine will only run when it needs to so a tank of gas lasts a long time.  so hopefully for $69 i have a backup solution for my sump pump!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 08:52:26 PM »
Hope you didn't get talked into the extendended service contract..HF electronics are junk as you Will find out the first time you go to rely on it. I have a big Cambell Hausfeld unit the has never been required to be put into service. List 7 yrs. ago was $1.200 ...bring me 5 hundies an it's yours my friend.  8)

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
Get one of these:
it's a "waterbed pump" - it hooks up to a standard garden hose fitting.  You run one hose from an outside faucet, site the pump where the outflow will not go back to the house, and use a longer hose to reach the sump.  It's worked well for me through 3 hurricanes, where the power was off for a week at a time in some cases.

About 15.00 at stores.

The inverter is better used to run a couple lights and the TV, IMO.  At least that's what I use mine for.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 09:35:57 PM »
Get one of these:
it's a "waterbed pump" - it hooks up to a standard garden hose fitting.  You run one hose from an outside faucet, site the pump where the outflow will not go back to the house, and use a longer hose to reach the sump.  It's worked well for me through 3 hurricanes, where the power was off for a week at a time in some cases.

About 15.00 at stores.

The inverter is better used to run a couple lights and the TV, IMO.  At least that's what I use mine for.

yes you alredy posteed that...you try'in to undercut my modern machine man....? gimme a break...I want a bump to the top!  >:(   :-D
in t

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 09:46:57 PM »
Look at my ava tag.  JUST LOOK AT IT. 

;) :-D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »
During a heavy rain, that faucet pump would never keep up with my sump. Not even close.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 10:00:01 PM »
yeah and my pump is dirt cheap if you foster all the brooks injto your rig young'in! ifinyaz tink bout dit shill for a dam  minutecnd hrrrrr'hrrar!  8)

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
yeah and my pump is dirt cheap if you foster all the brooks injto your rig young'in! ifinyaz tink bout dit shill for a dam  minutecnd hrrrrr'hrrar!  8)

Klaatu baradu nik est!   8)

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 10:06:14 PM »
During a heavy rain, that faucet pump would never keep up with my sump. Not even close.

Possibly has to do with the extremely heavy clay soil I have here.  This stuff is like concrete to dig into.  It is NON-permeable for the most part, so what is coming into the sump is mostly the drain from the basement steps outside + whatever does make it under the house from the surrounding area.  Got lucky I guess.

Run 2 faucet pumps?  Important thing is your water pressure.