Author Topic: Sump Pump Plumbing- Storm Prep Question #2  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Sump Pump Plumbing- Storm Prep Question #2
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 10:15:27 PM »
Klaatu baradu nik est!   8)
exactly..an never heard a pepp out of it othrewise... ;) gld to see we on thr snae pge at least1  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline sajata

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
I have a well so Venturi pumps are no use...   

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 11:07:27 PM »
I have a well so Venturi pumps are no use...   

yup. you need a generator. Or a kid on a stationary bike hooked to a worm drive pump.  Give him lots of sugar and you'll make it.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline sajata

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 01:53:13 PM »
Just tested this lashup and it works! with room to spare.  I was only pulling about 300W with the sump running.  and since i have converted most of the lights in the house to led 8-10 watts each, i should be able to run most of the house lights and the sump on just 750 watts!
 ;D

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 01:58:39 PM »
That's great!  I'm curious about the LED lights.  I'm only familiar with the flourescent lights that screw into a standard socket.  Are LED lights the same?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline sajata

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »
Led lights are about 30-40% more efficient than CFLs. Last 10x longer and contain no Hg.  They are the future of lighting.  Home Depot in the Philly area have 8w (60 w equivalent) dimable for 9.97 each.  The other thing is that they are instant on no warmup no matter what the temp.  Also they come in all color temperatures. All in all they are a great light source!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 09:34:18 PM »
Led lights are about 30-40% more efficient than CFLs. Last 10x longer and contain no Hg.  They are the future of lighting.  Home Depot in the Philly area have 8w (60 w equivalent) dimable for 9.97 each.  The other thing is that they are instant on no warmup no matter what the temp.  Also they come in all color temperatures. All in all they are a great light source!
+1 I am going to convert my paint booth to those cause I can't see a damn thing in there without my IceHouse goggles on....I swear man!  ???
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Michael130207

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
I am on a well and have a sump that handles the drain from the basement stairs. I installed a Zoeller 507 battery backup sump pump in series with our regular sump pump the night before Irene hit last year. My power went out and that baby kicked in and pumped water all night long, keeping the basement bone dry. It is an efficient dc pump that is powered off a marine deep cycle battery.  Bought a spare battery yesterday, although it can pump for about 7 hours continuously off a single battery.
Michael

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:26 PM »

Im not a huge fan of led's. The radioshack ones burn out very easy. I once replaced about 50 0806 footprint orange led's in my tiburon's speedometer console with 50 blue 0806 footprint led's. Took me all day with a magnifiying glass and soldering iron. After a few weeks a leds started to burn out.

I will stick with CFL until there either phazed out or led bulbs are dirt cheap.

Offline sajata

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »
well as it turns out never lost power.

i have several of the $9.97 LED bulbs for Home Depot for several years now.  no issues.  when you say you replaced the LED's do you mean the LED device itself?  sounds like the LEDs are being driven too hard.  unlike incandescent bulbs LEDs are current mode devices and the current needs to be regulated and voltage can float.  if you allow too much current then the LED will burn too hot and fail.  kind of like running an incandescent  bulb at too high a voltage. conversely alot of the "
Long Life" incandescent Bulbs are actually rated for 130v so at 120 they last alot longer.

Having worked to Tandy Co aka radio shack in the way past.  I i built alot of project using their parts and most were rejects off the line. if you look of the specs of the parts you will see they are just a bit off from the first quality parts.  Just like Prime quality Beef the restaurants get 99% of it.  Most manufactures sell the first cut of the parts to the Sony's and Samsung's of the word.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:39 PM »
I meant the led parts, not an actual led device. The radio shack led parts never last long even when using the correct voltage with capacitors to keep the current stable. These were simple projects so no big deal. Its when i bought the SMD led's to replace 50 orange color leds in my cars speedometer console and a few burned out within a week or two it was the last straw and left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to buying anything led without a good warranty.

pizzapan