Author Topic: last night's pie  (Read 1300 times)

Offline jsatz

last night's pie
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:30:53 PM »
hey folks.  first time posting in this section, wanted to share some good results on my pies last night.  i've been using a sourdough starter for years, and it's only in the last few months that i finally feel i'm employing it correctly, to the point where i'm no longer adding dry yeast to the dough for that extra oomph.  i've also started adding oil, and have been slowly bringing my hydration % down (i guess i finally admitted to myself that my NYC apartment doesn't have a 900 degree wood fired oven, so no sense making dough that fits that style of baking).

i wish i took more precise measurements, but i have this batch at about 52% hydration.  these were balled (310g for the pictured pie) and left out at room temp for about 2 hours before going in the fridge for 3 days.  they were taken out roughly 5 hours before use for that final rise.  it really handled beautifully. 

also, for years i've kept my stone at the bottom of the oven, near the heat source, but i finally moved it up to the top.  it seemed to create a little oven-inside-an-oven effect, and i was able to get close to 600 for the first time.  i can't help but think the radiant heat from the top also helped improve the color.

anyways, the taste and look of these was excellent, as was the crumb.  the second pie was a LI Grandma style, which also came out well, so i'll post that over in the Sicilian section. 

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: last night's pie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »
Looks really good!
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 06:14:39 PM »
Looks really good!

+1

I like the way you applied the sauce and cheese.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline eiram21

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
Looks good! I also used to use a starter, but have abandoned it and do not miss it at all..

Marie
Marie

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
Very nice
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »
DDDDdddelicious!!!   :chef:
RE

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 12:17:57 AM »
Looks good! I also used to use a starter, but have abandoned it and do not miss it at all..

Marie
Marie,
J was saying he finally has a handle on using his starter....not quitting it dear. The pizza on your blog look great and I know Scott123 helped you a lot with your oven set up. Please, what is about using a starter are you pleased to no longer be dealing with....thank you.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"