Author Topic: another Grandma pie  (Read 1396 times)

Offline jsatz

another Grandma pie
« on: October 27, 2012, 04:54:59 PM »
hey all.  back with my latest Grandma pie results, probably my best yet.  this style has become my latest obsession, which i blame entirely on my Long Island roots. 

i wish i had more precise more measurements, but i know for sure i've significantly lowered my hydration level since i first started these.  water (220g), salt (19g), about 1/4 cup of my sourdough starter, a touch of oil, and 450g of King Arthur bread flour.  from there the Varasano method is basically employed, and after the Kitchen Aid did its thing I kneaded by hand for about 10 minutes to really strengthen that gluten (more flour was added at this stage too, unmeasured).  the dough was weighed out at 505g, balled, left out at room temp for 2 hours, put in the fridge for 3 days, and taken out 5 hours before using for that final rise.  it was formed in my 15x10x1 pan about 1.5 hours before use.

the pie was baked on my stone at the top level of a 580 degree oven for 12 minutes or so.  i took it out of the pan and put directly on the stone for the last 30-60 seconds, just to crisp up the bottom (not pictured).  i'm using a good quality dry mozz, and to keep it from breaking down i keep the cubes in the freezer for about 45 minutes before use.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: another Grandma pie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 05:01:20 PM »
Nice looking pie! Your grandma taught you well!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: another Grandma pie
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
Fantastic looking dough. I only wish i could try a piece. Thanks for sharing.

TomN