Author Topic: Everyone stay safe with Sandy on her way!  (Read 6131 times)

Online Chaze215

Everyone stay safe with Sandy on her way!
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:34:23 PM »
We are in Ocean County NJ where Sandy is supposed to hit pretty hard. Everyone be smart and stay safe! (I have a lot more to learn from everyone around here!)  ;D
Chaz

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: Everyone stay safe with Sandy on her way!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32:05 PM »
Good luck with the storm. I am south of you in MD and we are getting ready as well.

If the power goes out I will be cooking all of my meals in the wood fired oven  ;D

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Online Chaze215

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 10:27:18 PM »
Good luck with the storm. I am south of you in MD and we are getting ready as well.

If the power goes out I will be cooking all of my meals in the wood fired oven  ;D

Antoine

Besides the inconvenience of no power, that doesnt sounds too bad!...lol I dont have a WFO, so I will be doing my cooking on a grill. :( I think I know of someone who might know where I can get a WFO in the near future though  ;)
Chaz

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 07:18:16 AM »
Too Funny. I always keep a couple extra of the Neapolitan WFO at my house. So if someone needs one at the last minute, lets say power is out for a while, they can just drive up and I load one in their car  :-D

Good luck with the storm.

P.S. you may want to write down my address before the power goes out :)

Online Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:11:31 PM »
Do you think a WFO would fit in my trunk?...lol I dont think strapping it to the roof is a good way to go either  :-D
Chaz

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »
Should fit on the back seat!  That would definitely weight down your car so it doesn't take off with the high winds :-D

Good luck with the storm.

Antoine

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
This is how I Storm proofed my oven in past storms. Good luck to all, bunker down and stay safe.

Edgar

Phar Lap

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:16:15 PM »
Chaze215,

My folks live on L.B.I....they evacuated this morning...all the best to Ocean County and everyone else in Sandy's path!

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »
Yeah i hope you left chaze215. My wifes friend lives in atlantic city,NJ and she evacuated around 3pm today. She said the water was already up to the sidewalks on the street.

Online Chaze215

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
Hey guys, Im still in Toms River NJ and hunkering down for now. No mandatory evacuation here (yet).  But I have seen pictures that are pretty bad and Sandy is still 400+ miles away! Not good.
Chaz

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 10:56:13 PM »
Hey guys, Im still in Toms River NJ and hunkering down for now. No mandatory evacuation here (yet).  But I have seen pictures that are pretty bad and Sandy is still 400+ miles away! Not good.

Chaze215, I hate to be the one to say it but remember katrina? They didnt issue mandatory evacuations till it was too late. If you got family or friends in safer locations i would advise you to take a vacation.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 11:16:39 PM »
Batten down the hatches!!!!! :-\ Stay well and hang on to all......................

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

scott123

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 11:53:28 PM »
Chaze215, I hate to be the one to say it but remember katrina? They didnt issue mandatory evacuations till it was too late.

NJ isn't below sea level, nor does it have levees (or the incompetent engineers that built them).

Chaz, right now, the storm is projected to touch down near Atlantic City, with 80 mph winds, but you're a bit North of that, which should drop your wind speeds a tiny bit.  How close are you to water?  If you're not on high-ish ground, then you might want to evacuate, although the area is shaping up to see less precipitation then it did during Irene.  If you saw 6" during Irene, you might see 4" for Sandy.

As far as the storm surge goes.... the East section of Tom's River has a 10% chance of hitting 10 feet and a 50% chance of hitting 5 feet. Like I said, if you not at any kind of elevation, I'd hit the road.

One other thing to consider is that the storm is supposed to take a turn, and that turns can be a bit trickier to predict than straight courses. It could end up a bit north of the  current target (bad for you) or south (better for you). They're also predicting a slight strengthening (75 mph now, but 80 by landfall), but that could, imo, change as well.

A lot can happen between tonight and tomorrow morning, and, if things take a turn for the worse, there should still be plenty of time for you to evacuate.  On Friday, Toms River was pretty much in the predicted path's crosshairs, but, as I said, the target is now AC. It also seems to be a tiny bit weaker than they were predicting. Hopefully it will end up being even weaker than they're expecting by the time it reaches land.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 01:15:45 AM »
Sandy is my wife's name.  Figures.  8) >:(
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 01:25:47 AM »
Sandy is my wife's name.  Figures.  8) >:(

Sandy is my wifes mothers name that passed away a few years ago and her sister lives near the shore in NJ. We told her she could come here but you know how people are, there like captains that want to go down with the ship.  ::)

Online Chaze215

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 09:15:02 AM »
NJ isn't below sea level, nor does it have levees (or the incompetent engineers that built them).

Chaz, right now, the storm is projected to touch down near Atlantic City, with 80 mph winds, but you're a bit North of that, which should drop your wind speeds a tiny bit.  How close are you to water?  If you're not on high-ish ground, then you might want to evacuate, although the area is shaping up to see less precipitation then it did during Irene.  If you saw 6" during Irene, you might see 4" for Sandy.

As far as the storm surge goes.... the East section of Tom's River has a 10% chance of hitting 10 feet and a 50% chance of hitting 5 feet. Like I said, if you not at any kind of elevation, I'd hit the road.

One other thing to consider is that the storm is supposed to take a turn, and that turns can be a bit trickier to predict than straight courses. It could end up a bit north of the  current target (bad for you) or south (better for you). They're also predicting a slight strengthening (75 mph now, but 80 by landfall), but that could, imo, change as well.

A lot can happen between tonight and tomorrow morning, and, if things take a turn for the worse, there should still be plenty of time for you to evacuate.  On Friday, Toms River was pretty much in the predicted path's crosshairs, but, as I said, the target is now AC. It also seems to be a tiny bit weaker than they were predicting. Hopefully it will end up being even weaker than they're expecting by the time it reaches land.

Thanks for the update and concern Scott. My Dad is staying with us and my Mom went into work (medical/essential personel) since they had a mandatory evacuation by 6pm last night. The winds and rain are starting to pick up this am and isnt supposed to get bad around here til 8pm-12am. I am about 1-2 miles from the bay and the biggest surge is not supposed to be until late tonight and tomorrow. We shall see. Thanks again all!
Chaz

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »
Good Luck, Chaze!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »
The creek is near ready to over flow the bank. There's a great blue heron in the back yard.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »
Steve, I suggest you move to higher ground.  The water is only beginning to rise, and there is a lot more rain to come.

real-time tracking and stuff: http://mema.maryland.gov/current/Pages/Osprey.aspx
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:17:06 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »
Way too soon to leave yet. The water is still in the creek and I still have power.