Author Topic: Keeping notes!  (Read 669 times)

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Keeping notes!
« on: September 21, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
Ok, I will admit that every time I make a pie, I keep notes. I fill in the dough calculator and print it on a sheet that includes dough temp etc. I do this every time. What I don't always do is critique the pie after it is baked and eaten. Shame on me!!!!!!!

Today, I went thru all my notes and pulled out all the pies that had been critiqued in the positive. Ie, GREAT CRUST! WILL DO AGAIN. Etc.

So I examined the positive notes and made dough today based on the majority of positive responses.
Seems like most of the best pies were made early 2013.

Just wondering if any of you do the same?
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,25327.msg255312.html#msg255312

Mark
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:47:04 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Keeping notes!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
I did for a long time. I don't change much anymore. Now I keep notes on what everyone else is doing.  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 07:37:06 PM »
I did for a long time. I don't change much anymore. Now I keep notes on what everyone else is doing.  ;D

So Craig, how long did you keep notes till you got it where you wanted? And, do you miss the exploration faze?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 08:34:03 PM »
I have 40 odd pages of notes in the Pizza Anarchy thread...  I do make a hash mark every time I make a written recipe, which isn't that often.  There are 11 marks on my FIL's chimmi-churri recipe for example.

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
I learned via older people that had been working with dough and baked goods most of their lives.  There were no notes.   It was observation, touch, smell, taste, and instruction via this way.  The recipes were tried and true and I was challenged with understanding dough more than the recipes because the ever changing things that effect dough are what need to be learned more than anything so that it comes out good in all conditions.  I have worked in commercial settings in the NYC area, Austin TX, OH,  the bay area.  Each place has different climates and each place varied with equipment and workroom temps.  When I worked at the  upper crust bakery in Austin the workroom was usually around 100+ degrees.  That was a big challenge with dough and frosting cakes!   In this sense the recipes were good up to a point so to speak but to get to the top level of quality one had to know this other stuff in their senses to adjust things until it was right.  I work best with this way of doing things and was lucky to have family and later teachers that taught this way.  It probably takes longer to get there with this method  but I enjoy learning this way.  IMO with the net, videos, and such, people get proficeint real fast but their products usually lack that hands on learning mojo.  I know lots of people like this and fewer and fewer that have that hands on mojo.  I read that Teslar put Edison down big time because he was more of a tinker type guy than a pure scientific approach one.   I say whatever works best for you is the best way to do it and the bottom line is you find joy in the way you get there.  Walter
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:21:39 PM by waltertore »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:20:33 PM »
I do the same Mark.  I also write down thoughts and ideas for the next bake.  I make notes on why I think things went well or not.  I also rate the pies with a 1-5* rating.  I too have gone back and looked at all the 5* pies and compared the different methods used and try to see patterns or similarities.  I compare the thoughts I had at the time with what I know now  and think about how my ideas and understanding has deepened.   

Like Craig, I also keep notes on others methods and insight I receive on the side from knowledgeable members about popular pizzerias.   I also like incorporate parts of others methods into my own methods as well.  It's an ongoing process for me but I sure don't miss the days of having failed bakes.  The disappointments were tough lessons.  I'm glad I stuck with it.

Chau

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 12:19:37 AM »
So Craig, how long did you keep notes till you got it where you wanted? And, do you miss the exploration faze?

Mark

I kept very detailed notes for about two years. The binder is about 2" thick. I still refer to it from time to time.  I still take a picture of every pie and have them cataloged by date. If I make a material change, I note it in the Garage thread.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »
Just wondering if any of you do the same?

I guess I do, but instead of keeping private notes, I pretty much put it all here on the boards, as can be seen very well in the Tommy's cracker style thread and the most recent Giordano's style thread. I sometimes wonder if maybe people get overwhelmed by the volume of information I share about my trials and errors, but every once in a while someone shares their appreciation for the work I've done, and that tells me all I need to know.

pizzapan