Author Topic: New to Forum, Pizza, & Wood Fire Oven!  (Read 5134 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
New to Forum, Pizza, & Wood Fire Oven!
« on: October 27, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »
Hello,

I'm excited to be part of this forum - new to pizza making and my wood fire oven. I have so many basic questions!

I took an artisan bread course in 2010 and learned to bake sourdough and focaccia.  Been baking on and off in the last 2 years particularly in the fall/winter in the home oven.

Looking forward to my wood fire oven delivery next week!  Looking forward to learning pizza making, oven management, baking breads and cooking family meals in my copper top!

Have much to learn from everyone!

Sharlene

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 10:11:19 PM by CopperTop »

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
Re: New to Forum, Pizza, & Wood Fire Oven!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum Sharlene, what oven brand and size did you order?

I used to live in Cville for 5 years and now am right north of DC so not too far from you.

Looking forward to some pictures of your first pies and bread.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »
WElcome..please tell me what thr heck a copper top is man...thank you,
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »
Copper top oven?  Now I'm really hoping for pics!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »
sounds kinda awesome if i say ....

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »
Thank you Antoine! We bought the Le Panyol 83- according to specs, its hearth tile dimensions is 52"x52".  Apparently, it's capable of baking ~ 50, 12 inch pizzas per hour.

Kids love Christian's Pizza, but I know I can do better in a WFO. I used to work in Holy Cross Hospital & Washington Hospital Center...miss the great restaurants in DC metro.

Chicago Bob - we planned on moving the wood fire oven someday, so we decided to invest in a turnkey oven, Le Panyol (by Maine Wood Heat);  oven body is covered with copper tin and comes with a stand - for easy transport.

Pizzaneer - it's a real beauty! I can't wait to see it either.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
Allow me to be the first to say HOLY CRAP!  :o  :chef:  As a baker and pizzamaker, I am so incredibly jealous.  Be proud.  Be very very proud.

Now I'm REALLY looking forward to pics.  I just hope that we can help you in some way to make pizzas that are as awesome as your oven.

Brian

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 07:25:50 AM »
Very nice oven. Turnkey is the way to go with Le Panyol as the instal can be a little tricky.
The size is just about the same as my FGM 800 so you should be able to put 2 pizza at a time. Be patient with the heat-up time but you should be able to bring it hot enough to cook your pizza in 3 minutes or so. The oven is great for cooking bread.
Let me know how it turns out and I look forward to some pictures.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 09:17:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I would love to know what the total cost was of the oven with copper enclosure and stand. I also look forward to seeing the pizza baked in it.

FYI - the interior dimensions are 32 in. You can probably fit two pizzas at one time, but it will be tight and tricky.

John

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 05:07:15 PM »
Antoine:  Thanks for the oven tips.  Got it primarily for breads and just as excited to make pizza as well as roasting meats, veggies.

John:  Thanks for the welcome! The Le Panyol 83 Turnkey Oven is $16,400. This includes the stand, chimney, rake, gun... but I'm sure some of the cost is towards the artisan work done by the copper man.  Had to dish out another $800 for handling/freight shipping.  I don't think I paid this much for my Honda Fit...but I know I'm going to have a lot of fun with it.  I'm definitely going to use it as often as I can to get my money's worth!!!  The oven kits seem reasonably priced-much cheaper. It took me 4 months to find someone to make a 12x12 slab for the oven, so I'm glad I bought the turnkey.

By the way, thank you (and to everyone else)  for sharing your wealth of knowledge.  Still trying to maneuver my way around this forum, and trying to see if you've posted a dough recipe using levain. Interested in doing a sourdough pizza.  I found your "Back to the Basics" recipe and will attempt this as my first recipe.    Any tips for a noobie?

Grazie ~ Sharlene

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
This thread is how one of our most respected WFO bakers makes his Neapolitan dough:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20477.0.html

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
Thanks Pizzaneer!  I actually took note of his post.  Looking forward to using ischia culture....mmmm.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 01:26:01 PM »
Oops, make that $1200 for shipment, $400 for crating it, and $800 for delivery with forklift.  Definitely could save $$ picking it up yourself if you live close to Skowhegan, ME.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »
My first pizza on the WFO!  I've probably fired the oven 4x now, and have made pizza 3x...been playing around with Ken Forkish's recipe of Overnight straight pizza dough (70% hydration) as well as his overnight pizza dough with poolish (75%). Both recipes recommend taking the dough out of fridge right before shaping the pizza and using  lots of flour when shaping the dough before topping. Using the Caputo Pizzeria flour, the dough is quite delicate and cream-like.  I also use Della Vechia's Keste Clone recipe...which I think has a lower hydration, so I find it easier to handle. 

I'm learning alot by reading posts of experiences, techniques, recipes...and quite a few that are written similar to a dissertation, I love it!  I am sticking to a few dough recipes, and meanwhile, working on my shaping techniques (ie, stretching out the dough so that it's just the right thickness, and round in shape).  I noticed a big difference using the stainless steel countertop outdoors today, versus the kitchen counter indoors.  It was definitely cooler outdoors, dough was on the cool side, and much easier to handle. Each time I make pizza, I learn something new in the process, as small as it may be.  But I feel I'm getting the hang of it!

Took me almost 2 hours to get the oven to a good temperature...700 degrees +  Wonder if I need to keep my temperature low until I get the hang of turning my dough faster.  I charred a couple of sides today, and one went into flames - while I was doming the top, LOL.  All in all, I'm having a blast in the learning process...and really appreciate having access to this forum.  One day, I will have a pizza that will look like TXCraig1, wheelman, dellavecchia, or Jackie Tran's!

Can someone tell me why my edges are puffy? Do I need to flatten the edges more?

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 08:32:23 PM »
To begin with, I don't see a single thing amiss with your edges.  You may not be a fan of a large rim, though, which is fine.  If you want to have less of a rim, simply wind up with less dough in the rim. You can do this in your stretching technique by pressing out farther than seems comfortable.  A thin rim makes a flatter pizza.

Can't wait to see the pictures of your oven! (hint, hint)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »

Can't wait to see the pictures of your oven! (hint, hint)
It's only been requested like....I don't know how many times ....

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »
I was trying to post 3 more pictures... But I need to resize them.  And one of them was the oven :). I wish posting pics here is as easy as posting pictures on Facebook.  I would've posted 20 by now!! 

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 09:56:07 PM »
Give this here a try 'ol Copper Top....

http://www.picresize.com/results

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 12:05:06 AM »
Thanks Pizzaneer.  So here's my new toy.  It's been in the mid-30s at night and low-50s in the morning, so it's taking me 1.5-2 hrs to heat up the oven for pizza.  I used the oven two days, and the dome temperature was in the mid-70s. Seems to retain the heat quite well, with 4 inches of ceramic mass.   I admire the copper artisan work.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 12:09:58 AM »
Plenty of room for bread.  As suggested, I put a cast iron pan with water 20 mins or so before loading the loaves.  Hearth temperature was about 450.  These are the first loaves baked in the oven...friend brought over her poolish and prepared the rest of the dough while firing the oven.