Author Topic: New to Forum, Pizza, & Wood Fire Oven!  (Read 4337 times)

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Re: New to Forum, Pizza, & Wood Fire Oven!
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 12:13:32 AM »
First pizza to catch on fire. From this angle, the edges don't' look to puffy...but will try Pizzaneer's suggestion for making a thinner rim. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2012, 12:29:14 AM »
Looks pretty good for just getting used to your new oven CT...A smaller cornicione is going to really change the outcome of your next pies I believe. Thanks for the pics(please keep 'em coming) and have fun with your great WFO!
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »
First firing of the Le Panyol 83.  Fits one pizza at a time.  A little tight roasting a whole chicken and a pan of veggies. Perfect size for the amount of bread I'd be baking in a given day.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2012, 01:03:13 AM »
Need to figure out a better work space...Originally planned on a larger patio with an L-shaped counter top next to oven...and a pergola to boot.  But looking to relocate to a warmer place sooner than later. So the stainless steel table may have to do for now.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 01:17:11 AM by CopperTop »

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2012, 01:16:38 AM »
400 pound stand to carry the weight of the oven & cat.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2012, 05:34:44 AM »
Very nicely done Sharlene! It is obvious you have bread making skills, so no wonder your first go at wood fired pizza was a success. Your oven is first and foremost a vessel for baking bread (what the French are really good at), so the heat retention capabilities are tremendous. To get up to Neapolitan temps, you will probably need to fire the oven longer. You really want a floor of 800 or so and an active flame on the coals, so your bake is 90 seconds or less. Now I know you said you were having problems with the pies scorching. Here are a few tips:

The oven will need time to even out. Over the next few firings you will notice less hot spots.

When you have the oven up to temp push the coals to the side, not the back. Right or left - does not matter. You then cook the pies on the other side, fully inside the oven. The coals should be made into a small pile and pushed as far to the side as possible. Then lay a new log on top of the coals for the cooking flame.

When rotating the pizza, keep the peel on the floor of the oven. As you make a circular motion under the pie the edge of the peel never really leaves the floor, and the pizza goes along for the ride. This helps you move the pizza quickly in place. You want to set the pizza, initially, as far from the flame as possible and then let it sit for 10-20 seconds. You will see it start to puff and set. Then gently slide the peel under and "release" it from the floor. Then start your turning. If you think it is going too fast, pick it up and turn it the mouth of the oven, and then place it back in the oven.

To get less of a rim, simply use a smaller size dough ball and stretch it thin.

Have fun!

John
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 05:38:18 AM by dellavecchia »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
That is a strange method of oven construction (on the interior), I have never seen one built that way.  Not the shape of the oven, but the shape of the pieces used to build it.  It is a beautiful oven, and you look to be well on your way to figuring it all out.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2012, 03:15:48 PM »
BTW, love your avatar.  First time I've ever seen a self-portrait combined with a photo of an oven.  Unique and beautiful!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:45 PM »

When rotating the pizza, keep the peel on the floor of the oven. As you make a circular motion under the pie the edge of the peel never really leaves the floor, and the pizza goes along for the ride. This helps you move the pizza quickly in place. You want to set the pizza, initially, as far from the flame as possible and then let it sit for 10-20 seconds. You will see it start to puff and set. Then gently slide the peel under and "release" it from the floor. Then start your turning. If you think it is going too fast, pick it up and turn it the mouth of the oven, and then place it back in the oven.

To get less of a rim, simply use a smaller size dough ball and stretch it thin.

All the pizza dough recipes I have offer instructions using a home oven. These detailed instructions of baking pizza in a WFO are just what I needed! What a difference it made on my pizzas tonight.  I was twirling around the pizzas as I saw it done on YouTube, right away near the flames. I obviously didn't get the whole picture. So I did what you said, and voila.  Thank you, John

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »
To begin with, I don't see a single thing amiss with your edges.  You may not be a fan of a large rim, though, which is fine.  If you want to have less of a rim, simply wind up with less dough in the rim. You can do this in your stretching technique by pressing out farther than seems comfortable.  A thin rim makes a flatter pizza.

The large rims I was getting made my pizzas look fat.  Want my pizzas to look healthy and trim, LOL. Needless to say, your instructions worked!  Thanks, Pizzaneer. Happy with pizzas made tonight. Pics to follow.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
No fat pizzas here!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
What a difference a day makes.....very nice Sharlene! You are a quick study.... :chef:
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
Great looking pizza there, the sides look fine to me. The oven looks really good too.
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
Very nicely done Sharlene! It is obvious you have bread making skills, so no wonder your first go at wood fired pizza was a success. Your oven is first and foremost a vessel for baking bread (what the French are really good at), so the heat retention capabilities are tremendous. To get up to Neapolitan temps, you will probably need to fire the oven longer. You really want a floor of 800 or so and an active flame on the coals, so your bake is 90 seconds or less. Now I know you said you were having problems with the pies scorching. Here are a few tips:

The oven will need time to even out. Over the next few firings you will notice less hot spots.

When you have the oven up to temp push the coals to the side, not the back. Right or left - does not matter. You then cook the pies on the other side, fully inside the oven. The coals should be made into a small pile and pushed as far to the side as possible. Then lay a new log on top of the coals for the cooking flame.

John

Thanks, John. I learned to make bread first - so handling bread dough definitely helps with learning pizza. The Le Panyol was highly recommended by my bread baker instructor, but find myself making MORE pizza than bread right now. Seems to be my latest obsession.  And family is enjoying it too. Really appreciate your sharing of oven expertise.  All of what I know is from reading WFO books and learning more from this forum.  Thinking of taking an intensive 2-day course on oven management at Stone Turtle Baking; they have a Le Panyol 120, ....so they can help unleash the super powers I don't know about with the oven.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
That is a strange method of oven construction (on the interior), I have never seen one built that way.  Not the shape of the oven, but the shape of the pieces used to build it.  It is a beautiful oven, and you look to be well on your way to figuring it all out.

What is the usual method?  I'm even curious as to how the oven stays warm till the next day. I made pizza yesterday afternoon, and this afternoon, the dome temp was 170, and hearth was 125.  And it was mighty cold last night. Not familiar with other WFOs so I'm easily impressed.   I've been wanting to ask Maine Wood Heat what is between the copper and the terre blanche clay cement. My husband thinks there is a furry goat inside.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
Several of them.  Normally, there are only 3 or 4 wall segments if any, and often the upper dome is cast as a unit.  I would imagine that the interior of the oven you can see is about 3-4 inches thick, then there are several layers of furry goat (ceramic insulating blanket), then the outer covering, in your case copper.  Once you have the oven fully cured, if you have an insulating door you should be able to cook pizza day one, bread day 2, meat/stew/beans day three, and use it to dry food or wood for another couple of days after that.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 08:55:38 PM »
What a difference a day makes.....very nice Sharlene! You are a quick study.... :chef:
Bob

Thank you, Bob!    It's called...great mentors and instruction.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
Several of them.  Normally, there are only 3 or 4 wall segments if any, and often the upper dome is cast as a unit.  I would imagine that the interior of the oven you can see is about 3-4 inches thick, then there are several layers of furry goat (ceramic insulating blanket), then the outer covering, in your case copper.  Once you have the oven fully cured, if you have an insulating door you should be able to cook pizza day one, bread day 2, meat/stew/beans day three, and use it to dry food or wood for another couple of days after that.

What do you mean by ...once the oven is fully cured?  How do I do that?  The only instructions it came with...as how to fire the oven. Pretty basic. I have a door...

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
Great looking pizza there, the sides look fine to me. The oven looks really good too.
Thanks, Antoine.  I'm really happy with the oven.  Although, I now wish I got the next bigger model...shhh, don't tell my husband!  I've been telling my friends who are interested in getting a WFO for their home about Le Panyol as well as Four Grand Mere.  I think it's always good to have choices when making a purchase.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »
Thank you for the referral I really appreciate it.

Antoine
WFO cooking is about passion.

pizzapan