Author Topic: New to Forum, Pizza, & Wood Fire Oven!  (Read 5150 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: New to Forum, Pizza, & Wood Fire Oven!
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2012, 09:44:44 PM »
A new oven contains residual moisture that reduces it's efficiency, with use it dries out and becomes more efficient at retaining heat.

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 11:26:44 AM »
A new oven contains residual moisture that reduces it's efficiency, with use it dries out and becomes more efficient at retaining heat.

Cool!  Thanks for the great info.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »
What a beautiful weekend~ excited to try out the Calabria Hot Chili Peppers I picked up while in Seattle.  Thanks for the idea, TXCraig1.  A bottle of oil, and a bottle of crushed peppers. I put small dollops of the crushed peppers on top of the chorizo/red onion topping....it was hot and tasty!

So I practiced on shaping the dough...being more deliberate. Improved the shape - more round. The not-so-round ones, well, they were "rustic".   And practiced what John explained. You would be proud - no more burned pizzas.  Had a batch of Keste Clone recipe and Ken Forkish's recipe, the Overnight Pizza with Poolish.  I could not resist using all 9 pizza balls. When you spend 1-2 hours tending the fire, it doesn't make sense to make 2-3 pizzas.   I did the usual toppings...chorizo & red onion for the adults; pepperoni & mushroom as well as sausage & mushroom for the kids. 

The other day, I roasted 2 chickens, veggies on the WFO...and made focaccias in the home oven (for time management).  Next time, I will bake them in the WFO.  The focaccia recipe uses natural levain and takes about 5 hours, start to finish. It does take a long time, but so worth it.  Fresh rosemary from the garden and Maldon sea salt as topping (see picture).

I found a thread/link on roasting a porchetta in the WFO - looking forward to trying that recipe. 

I do have a question on getting the temp up on the WFO...

Do you at any time, use the door to increase the temperatures? Here's what I do:  Once the initial wood has burned 50-60% (placed towards the front), I push it back a little (towards the middle) -as soon as it turns to coal, it's pushed to the right side, add piece of wood - and burn it on the right side till the dome is white.  I then push the coals on the left side, add wood, and continue to let that burn until the left side of the dome is white. I cook on the right, since I'm right handed.  By then, the hearth is around 500-600. I did use the door yesterday...and it did increase the temperature, some...  Wondered if I need to be more patient, or I need to change the process...It takes me close to 1.5-2 hours to get the temps up to 700-800 and wondered if it's the weather or just the kind of oven I have or my fire management skills, or lack thereof.

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
More pics...

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »
And more...

Will have some time this week to start the Ischia culture...will be fun to compare the flavors with the poolish method. Notice that someone posted their experience in starting the Ischia cx - thanks!

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 05:42:24 PM »
And more...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »
A beautiful Copper top Oasis for sure !! Anxious to see your progress as you bake along !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:45 PM »
Everything looks really really good so far. Keep up the good work!  :chef:

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »
looks really good...

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 12:12:18 PM »
And more...

Looks beautiful! With your oven, I would say 3-4 hours is the optimal heat up time to get the dome well over 1000 and the floor in the 800's. What was your bake time on these pies?

John

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 07:17:15 PM »
Looks beautiful! With your oven, I would say 3-4 hours is the optimal heat up time to get the dome well over 1000 and the floor in the 800's. What was your bake time on these pies?

John

John, I think it was around 500-600 degrees.  It was 70 some degrees today~ couldn't resist making more pies.  The dome was 800 degrees and hearth around 500-550 when I started baking the pies.  I can never start earlier than 1 pm...so I'm kind of rushed and don't wait for the higher temperatures of 800.  Is that the reason I'm not getting the leoparding that I see in other pizzas?

Looking forward to spring/summer with daylight savings.  I'm usually baking my last pie in the dark around 5.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 08:05:44 PM »
It appears to be working for you, beautiful pics, and I bet the pizzas and foccacia tasted as good as they look.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 08:23:33 PM »
John, I think it was around 500-600 degrees.  It was 70 some degrees today~ couldn't resist making more pies.  The dome was 800 degrees and hearth around 500-550 when I started baking the pies.  I can never start earlier than 1 pm...so I'm kind of rushed and don't wait for the higher temperatures of 800.  Is that the reason I'm not getting the leoparding that I see in other pizzas?

Looking forward to spring/summer with daylight savings.  I'm usually baking my last pie in the dark around 5.
Maybe one of the pros here could instruct you on how to fire your new oven just before bedtime the night before a pizza bake....the residual heat would give you a jump start the next day towards achieving the type of heat needed for the leoparding you have mentioned, no?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 09:08:11 PM »
A beautiful Copper top Oasis for sure !! Anxious to see your progress as you bake along !
John

Thanks, John.  The oven makes fixing family dinners~ FUN!  Except for the clean up. Got the oven for bread, but pizza making (outdoors) seems to offer a quicker gratification especially in the colder months.  :)

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
Everything looks really really good so far. Keep up the good work!  :chef:

Thanks Ev! Really been enjoying the pizza making process...

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
It appears to be working for you, beautiful pics, and I bet the pizzas and foccacia tasted as good as they look.

Thanks!  Slowly but surely...everyone seems to be enjoying the pizzas and focaccia.  I'm really enjoying the process... :chef:

Offline CopperTop

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2013, 01:12:07 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm selling CopperTop in order to buy one with wheels (mobile)...any one interested, please pm me!  Also selling a 2007 Honda Fit - more worn than the oven, but just as sturdy.

pizzapan