Author Topic: Luca Pizza DiRoma  (Read 481 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Luca Pizza DiRoma
« on: November 10, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
I wanted to share a pizza I really enjoy.It came out in the 1960s and they have not changed their recipe since.They are located in some malls out in the Midwest. It's the closest thing to the NY style style
Pies I grew up on in the 70s and 80s.

I guess you can say they are similar to sbarros,in the fact they are located in malls,and offer so many different styles of pizzas. Make no mistake,though,I truly believe this Pizza is what NY is famous for that many of us grew up on,but can longer find,due to changes of ownerships,ingredients,and folks looking to make a fast buck instead.

I will say,I am not a fan of reheated slices.Plus,my pizza only comes out when I asked the manager to make it the other guys suck,they don't open it far enough,the TF is too thick and they don't apply enough sauce or etc. The bake time is between 6 to 8 minutes,depends how busy they are and if they forget it's in the oven.

:-D

There is another downfall,most employees don't care nor understand,they just assemble for a job. I had to tell the boss,no Parmesan cheese,because one maker,throws Parmesan cheese on the sauce,applies the mozzarella,then after it comes out of th oven,throw some more. It's too freaking salty! I love Parmesan cheese,pecorino,but you gotta know what or whom is doing what.

They use power flour here,grande cheese,the sauce,I don't know,they don't don't,it comes in cans from thr company,but sooooo good! Tomato heaven is all I can say.
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

Re: Luca Pizza DiRoma
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 01:30:35 AM »
My whole post was I'm going to try and reverse engineer this at home with time. For some of my friends here,I went through a bad divorce and lost everything. It's going to take me a bit of time,but I will try my best to contribute more info from them,last time they were so busy the boss didn't have time to answer my questions.

But until then,enjoy!  :pizza:
-Bill

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 08:36:44 AM »
Luca Pizza DiRoma is my favorite Indy pizza - my other two favorite Indiana pizza places being Bruno's in West Lafayette and Johns Pizza in Munster Indiana.

I've  had their pizza slices quite a few times on trips to Indy (Castleton Mall loc'n) and even brought a few whole pies home here in Ohio a few times. I really like their sausage pizza - just the right flavor and  spicing. Your pictures are very appetizing !

Good luck on your reverse engineering attempts - it will be interesting to see your findings and results

Offline Stavs

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
Growing up we had a Luca Pizza in the local shopping center. It wasn't "DiRoma" though, but had the same logo and font. Their pizza was great and I agree with everything you stated! If you reverse engineer it, I will be very happy!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »
My whole post was I'm going to try and reverse engineer this at home with time. For some of my friends here,I went through a bad divorce and lost everything. It's going to take me a bit of time,but I will try my best to contribute more info from them,last time they were so busy the boss didn't have time to answer my questions.

But until then,enjoy!  :pizza:

Bill,

Good to see you back on the board, brother! It's been awhile.  ;D

Regarding your divorce, things can only get better from here on out, so keep your chin up and enjoy life...and that pie, of course  8)

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
I remember when they were just called Luca Pizza...and I live maybe 2 miles down the street from Castleton mall,Indy,so I can get it anytime.

They used to be located in Glendale mall off 62nd street and keystone in Indy,but relocated to Castleton square. Since a pizza slice is nearly 3.65 US Dollars in the mall,it's cheaper to order a X large for 16 US dollars,but tell the guy how you want it made.

Those giants slices are cut into 8 and if you buy It by the slice you are paying too much. Their dough balls are fargin huge,and the guy that makes it for me,he actually stretches the dough skin so it's hang in off the peel a bit...the other guys,the dough skin opened barely touches the peels edge,it's too thick after cooking.These guys don't know TF nor do they care,but I tip good and the guys there,when I walk into th food court,are hollering at me,hey Bill,get over here,lol...wonderful people...

-Bill

Offline amiart

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:31:42 AM »
Looks like Sbarro.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »
Doesn't taste anything like sbarros.
-Bill

Offline Alanui

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:11:04 PM »
Please share your findings!  And feel free to conjure up a recipe for the pepperoni breadsticks while you're at it!  :P

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 08:35:49 PM »
Try Spinelli's in Kentucky. Not sure if they have it in Indiana tho.