Author Topic: GlutenBoy Thickness Factor - Can it be Increased?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
Re: GlutenBoy Thickness Factor - Can it be Increased?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »
I missed my usual Friday pizza night so doing tomorrow and forgot to start dough so doing a Steel Bakers Victory pig Pizza. I'll start my dough balls tomorrow for Friday.

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 05:13:34 PM »
I missed my usual Friday pizza night so doing tomorrow and forgot to start dough so doing a Steel Bakers Victory pig Pizza. I'll start my dough balls tomorrow for Friday.
I read up on the Victory pig style last night. Good looking stuff. Some of those crusts look succulent. I'm usually not a fan of that kind of thing, but that looks good. Are you familiar with Jet's Pizza? A smaller chain of sorts. They do a NY that's, um, well, it's not their primary pie. They do have a thick crust that has been quite tasty a few times that my son has gotten delivered. Just Wondering if that's what Jet's is going for.
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline rparker

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »
On to this weekend's 1st experiment. I made this batch up 4 days ago. First two days I was nervous as there was very little rise. It caught up nicely.

The major difference in this batch verses last week's is that I ditched the 20 minute autolyze that I had employed a couple weeks ago when trying for better effects on 3-days' notice. It worked out significantly better. The cornicione was much easy to chew, but still a little bit to go. Flavor was awesome. The stretch was not where I wanted it to be. I stopped at 13 inches. It just would no come out further. The middle was more even, though. Overall, a huge improvement for chewability factor. Just a little more to go.

Tomorrow is my first bake on the other batch I have fermenting. That's the one that I did much less missing and kneading. I have high hopes for it. No other changes from the one I baked today than the mixing.

Below are shots of the efforts. The GB was inside oven on stone, the Steve's NY Quick one at the end was on the Brickstone. It started raining right before lunch, so inside I went. 

The final shot is a "Steve's Quick & Easy NY Pie" that I tried yesterday. I missed the GB flavor, but the crunch and chew, especially the cornicione, was very good. The extensibility and elasticity were outstanding. I would not hesitate to use again. I used the second batch for sausage rolls today. It was 69% hydration. I loved it. It inspired me to try a 69% GB. It's in the fridge now. Probably a Wednesday or Friday test.

Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline jsperk

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »
Those look good. Here a couple shots of my pie last week. Crust was darker than pic shows. Flash makes it look lighter.

I am getting aggravated with the middle sections in some spots getting so thin when I stretch. I mean I can see through some spots. 

Offline rparker

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 09:25:22 PM »
Those look nice and yummy.

I have had issues controlling the middle from stretching too much because the section closest to the ring spring right back. This week's have been getting better. Normally no issue with holes. It supports a reasonable amount of toppings NY style. It's when I pile too high that the bottom won't support the rest and it becomes a gooey, but yummy mess.

This week's GB pies.

#1: Overhead shot of the first pie from batch #2 (no autolyze and much less mixing) two days ago. Some difficulty going from 13-inches to 14-inches. It baked well. A tiny bit on the chewy side, but nothing like that massive ripping apart I had to do with earlier batches.

#2: Crumb shot from batch #2 on 6-days CF. No difficulty in stretching and very similar taste and chew. I could live with this. Just a tiny, teensy bit less chewy and this manageable in 2 days less time and I'll be there.

#3: Batch #4 on 4 days rest. This one as similar to batch #2, but 69% hydration. Very extensible, but did have some elasticity, too. I got it to 15 inches in much less time than previous efforts. I will have to watch it next time, because it got thin vey fast and resulted in a couple of gravity holes from stretching. Next time it won't leave the bench for very long. The thinness did result in a bit of a soft center, but not too bad. A NY fold was possible after one bite. I did have a launch issue that had to be salvaged, but no loss of life.

#4 is a crumb shot from the previous shot. The chewability was similar to the one in shot #1 & 2 once gotten by the limp part. I had to work the dough too much for some reason and lost a lot of spring n the outer ring.

#5 is some wheat yeast rolls for tomorrow. I had to make sure I could still do a bread dough. :) 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:29:13 PM by rparker »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »
 rparker.......your stuff looks exceptionally damn tasty dude. Thanks for posting!   :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline rparker

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 06:32:31 PM »
rparker.......your stuff looks exceptionally damn tasty dude. Thanks for posting!   :drool:
Thanks, Chicago Bob.  :D
BTW, about that Premio sausage you tout. I saw it in the Harris Teeter. It's definitely NOT the other brand BJ's had for a while that I disliked that I was thinking about when I saw you mention it being from BJ's in another thread. 

I bought it, browned it, did an individual piece freeze on a cookie sheet and poured it all into a gallon bag for the freezer. al's I gotta do is grab a handful and nuke it for 30 seconds and I've got sausage whenever I want it on a pie for little effort.

pizzapan