Author Topic: Cast Iron Pizza  (Read 518 times)

Offline sb 44 champs

Cast Iron Pizza
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:36:36 PM »
Here's the recipe I used for 2 14" pizza's
Gold Medal Better for Bread Flour
Flour                443.6g
Water (61%)    270.6g
IDY    (1%)      4.44g
Salt (1.75%)    7.76g
Oil   (2.5%)     11.09g
Sugar (1%)     4.44g

Dough ball weight: 736g

All ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mixed with paddle before water was added. Switched to dough hook, added water and mixed for 6.5 minutes. Removed dough ball from bowl and placed in a covered container. let rise at room temp for 2 hrs then into the fridge for 24 hrs.
Removed from fridge at 830, divided into two balls, hand kneaded for 5 min and placed in separate containers until ready for use at 11.
Dough was a bit difficult to stretch. Let rest for 5 min, then continued to stretch. Only able to get it to 11 inches.

Cook process:
Broiler turned on to 500
Transferred dough to a cast iron skillet. Topped with sauce, whole milk mozz, fresh dried basil. Baked for approx 2 min under broiler,removed and placed on stop top, high heat to cook under crust. Entire cool took approx 5 min.
The under crust was not crispy as I wanted.
Overall it was a good pie.
Back to the drawing board.
Didn't get a chance to snap a pix of the undercrust.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Cast Iron Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
Try doing it the other way around next time.  Heat the skillet on the stovetop, stretch your dough.  Drop it in the skillet and top it real fast, then put it under the broiler.

If you are trying for a Sicilian style, oil the skillet heavily, drop in your stretched dough, and let it rise for a few hours at RT, top and bake at 425 for about 10-15 minutes.  Go heavy on cheese if you want, this style can take it.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline sb 44 champs

Re: Cast Iron Pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:45:24 PM »
I read somewhere, I think seriouseats.com that putting it under the broiler first creates more char. I'll give the other way a try next. I'm hoping to have a baking steel within the next week so I won't have to use the skillet.