Author Topic: Wood Fired Pizza Tampa FL.  (Read 741 times)

Offline shuboyje

Wood Fired Pizza Tampa FL.
« on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
I was in the Tampa area over the weekend for my brothers wedding, so that made a trip to Peter Taylor's Wood Fired a must.  I choose the original Tampa location because I wanted to try the pizza from the original oven designed to cook it.  I don't have any pictures to show, I ended up there with some family which wasn't the original plan and complicated my usual process a bit, lol.  Here's my take.

The Good:  The crust.  A star attraction.  It was delicious, unique, well executed.  Truly one of the best I've had.

The Rest:  I don't want to call this the bad, because it is simply opinion, and the opinion of one guy at that.  Peter's vision of his perfect pizza just didn't speak to me.  It seemed almost convoluted to me.  In my mind his crust was begging to be stretched out to 18", topped with a more heavily spiced new york style sauce and some dry mozz.  The lean to a more Neapolitan topping style led to a pie that was out of balance to me.  There is NOTHING neapolitan about the crust, it is crisp, airy and a medium brown.  It overpowered the neapolitan style topping, yet could have stood up to so much more. 

The staff while friendly, didn't seem to have any real sense of urgency.  They moved with a fairly slow pace, and the few pies that were leaving the oven while I was there took an exceedingly long time to do so.  They came right out and told use the place and the pies are different when Peter is there, calling him an artist.  Maybe my feelings would be different about a pie he made himself, but I will say what I ate LOOKED just like their promotional material.
-Jeff

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Wood Fired Pizza Tampa FL.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 10:18:27 AM »
Jeff,

You are correct that Pete Taylor's pizza is not a Neapolitan style. As I noted at Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15464.msg152297/topicseen.html#msg152297, Pete once told me that his pizza was more like a hybrid, with one part New York, one part Neapolitan and one part Pete Taylor. As for the size of the pizzas, when Pete did all of his work on the Raquel thread, his pizzas were mostly 16" inches. He always favored the larger sizes, most likely reflecting the New York influence. I believe if he offered the 16" size when he opened his first pizza place but I now see that he offers 10", 12" and 14" sizes, which may in part reflect the Neapolitan influence. I think you can see the mashup of the New York and Neapolitan styles. As I noted in Reply 1 referenced above, Pete always felt that his "style" did not fit the forum's classification system. But, as a Moderator, it was hard to create a new category for just one pizza, namely, the Raquel pizza.

On the service matter you mentioned, Pete has always told me that the people part is the hardest part of running his business.

Peter