Author Topic: vpn 6 hour dough  (Read 4632 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: vpn 6 hour dough
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 09:10:13 AM »
john, very nice, whats in the zone? are you still using the primevera 70? it's getting cold in ohio im going to do a 12 hour tomorrow probably around 65 degress.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 02:22:52 PM »
john, very nice, whats in the zone? are you still using the primevera 70? it's getting cold in ohio im going to do a 12 hour tomorrow probably around 65 degress.

Ham and ricotta in the calzone. I don't know what it is about calzones made in the WFO, but they are always the last served and still get devoured.

12 hours should be nice. At 8 hours the flavor was just starting to ripen up. Mine were proofed at 68 degrees.

John

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »

Larry, please let us know how the 12 hr 65F turns out, I have a pizza party coming up on Sunday.....

BTW, thanks again for the gift, let's try to get together with a group of pizza aficionados in NY and have a pizza pilgrimage of the best neapoletan pizzerias....
Paolo

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
John I have a hard time believing you can taste the difference between an 8 and 12 hr dough using IDY.   Regardless your pie and calzone looks awesome.  Scot your pie looks stunning as well.

Chau

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »
These short ferment pies appear to be exactly what I've been looking for. Nice work Larry! Could someone please describe the difference(if any) on the bottom crust characteristics between this dough and the longer fermented types? Does this pizza "hold up,stiffer" more than the traditional Neapolitan pie's?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »
John I have a hard time believing you can taste the difference between an 8 and 12 hr dough using IDY.   Regardless your pie and calzone looks awesome.  Scot your pie looks stunning as well.

Chau

Thanks Chau - The flavor wasn't lacking in the 8 hour, but was flatter than what I normally try to achieve with IDY. It is much cooler around here right now. I just guessed that a few more hours would have been perfect for the dough.

John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »
 yesterday i did a 12 hour dough. the room temperature was 67 degrees. i think this is about where the dough rooms that the vpn pizzerias set up are at.i can see why this seems like it gives the dough a nice shelf life. i cooked over a two hour period and the pizzas had the same texture and taste at the end of the baking cycle. i used buffalo mozzarella and froze it for half an hour to slow the melt .this along with over nigh draining thru cheese cloth help the cheese not to melt to quickly. my initial thinking was that same day dough would burn at high temperatures,but that has changed  it seems to cook very evenly and i had no trouble heating my oven to 875 on the floor and not burning the bottom. pictures including my oven. when we do a mobil event we invite the crew over to talk about and make the menu pizzas. its fun and i get feedback on each pie and we make changes as needed.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »
Larry, you have a beautiful yard. The pies aren't bad either!   ;D

How long until everything turns white?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 11:25:20 AM »
I agree with Craig, the yard looks so inviting...... and so do the pies..... congrats!
Paolo

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
That is a really sexy looking set up you have there Larry, love the colors and those pavers are perfect.
I'm glad you are having such success with this dough. Hope I can come close once I get started. Thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2012, 09:35:45 PM »
  this is an up date based on the quality of marlons extended rise dough and a trip to Pittsburgh. i wanted to visit il pizzaiolo and had set up an appointment to visit Ron the owner of the pizzeria.i also wanted to visit a new pizzeria that just opened in the city called mercurios their training was done at keste's by roberto.
 the day started at mercurios their dough regiment was the same as amano 2 hour bulk 6 to 8 hour room temp in balls overnight refrigeration and two to three hours to get the dough warm. this joint nailed the pizza! it was keste- amano in taste absolutely Delicious. they had a beautiful acunto oven that roberto arranged to have delivered to them. the dough looked like keste proofed to where the seperation of balls is now square. the pizza maker a female owner. flour the puck was roberto gentle with the stretch and assembly and into the acunto. it was awesome the flavor of that long proofed dough adds a whole new dimension to the pie. the only thing they did different was they hand diced their cheese which i loved.it melted but was not runny. pictures included.
 in the afternoon i sat with Ron for a couple of hours and got a real schooling on neapolitan pizza.hi preferred dough method is 18 hours at 65 degrees. with his lunch dough being cold proofed from the night before. that is what my first pie was made from. this dough had a very different texture and taste. his toppings are what stand out on his pie. the evoo, grated cheese and mozzarella are well thought out for how they taste together. later he made a marinara style with his 18 hour dough and it was light and very flavorful. he had the oven to 930 degrees on the floor and the pie had a perfect bake top and bottom, he has one of marcos ovens.  
 like marco he raves about pizzeria salvo and its great pizza makers. he had herd that the new salvo that marco talked about uses caputo cake flour for their dough. any way the guy is a encyclopedia of all styles of pizza.very nice man who is a pioneer of neapolitan pizza . he was doing it before caputo was available in the states.
 ron is opening a new restaurant in the city in november. the oven is being built on premise with all of the materials being shipped in.
  the last part of this post is about a portable oven event friday my dough didn't get proper proofing because of the cold weather and to me the pizza was very disappointing.they brought me back a pie . i could not run the event as fridays at my brick and mortar joint can be trying to my employees.i need to feel the dough watch the dough to determine how to handle it. you cannot make good pizza with cold dough!!!! i was pissed at myself not my employees.
  i was to attend a Halloween party the next night at a friends house that had a wood oven. i gave him 35 dough balls and told him to leave them in his wine making room which he keeps at 65 degrees. so it had about 24 hours on it when i got there.i felt much better after cooking pizza with dough that had enough fermentation and was warm enough to cook thru at high temperature.i will put pictures in the next post.in closing this wood oven cooking can be a challenge, such an easy recipe. :-D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 09:37:36 PM by thezaman »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
mercurios

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »
 il pizzaolo got carried away started to eat to soon, picture not optimum.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 09:52:53 PM »
 Halloween pies