Author Topic: Which Countertop Commercial Mixer is the Best?  (Read 3991 times)

Offline momspizza

Which Countertop Commercial Mixer is the Best?
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
I have a Pro KA that as many know, has a plastic casing and the gears get stripped rather easily.  My dh has repaired the machine numerous times since I began pumping out the pizza dough over the past year.   Between bread, pasta, pizza dough, the poor machine can't keep up with the demand for just my family alone.  I desire to purchase a commercial mixer and was considering the KA 7 qt Commercial as it has a metal casing, unlike all of the other KA now on the market are plastic.  The plastic casing wears out and the so do the gears.  I wanted to stay with the KA so I could use all of my KA attachments.  Considered a Hobart N50, until I watched a youtube review which said making even small batches of pizza dough in the machine a couple of times a week would burn up the motor.  The guy recommended a 20 lt spiral mixer instead.  So I got to thinking that we're going to be repairing my KA, I can keep it, run my attachments with it, make my angle food cake in it and will look for a commercial spiral mixer instead.  So here I am.  I'm doing this only for my family and we love my pizza!!  I have a son, who is single, that I cook for and make up fresh frozen meals.  I will make up to 17 individual frozen pizzas every couple of weeks.  Up to 5 batches of pizza dough.  I use a Authentic Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe but use a pastry flour...here in Mexico, different flours are very hard to find but it turns out amazing, even when I mix some whole wheat into the batch.  Those of you who can recommend a their small countertop spiral mixers or a fork mixer, I'm all eyes for reading about it.  
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:37:27 PM by momspizza »

Offline momspizza

Re: Which Countertop Commercial Mixer is the Best?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:59:09 PM »
I found this list from a previous thread, is there any order to which one is the best?????

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12453.0.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:03:20 PM by momspizza »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 11:44:06 PM »
Bienvenida, Lori.

You will be hard-pressed to get a consensus about which is "best" since there are so many factors around each person's unique requirements. I own several mixing devices and also make a wide range of different breads. My current position is that hand-kneading using the stretch-and-fold method is as good, if not better, than using an electric mixer. Especially for Neapolitan-style crusts, very little kneading is necessary to develop the proper amount of gluten. With the exception of very stiff, brioche-style doughs, I no longer use a mixer.

Today I made up a batch of stiff bagel dough using high-gluten flour - no kneading, just a few folds, and it came out perfectly. Every year around this time I bake up a big batch of pan de muerto, which uses a brioche-like dough. I bet I could do a small batch by hand, but will probably haul out the fork mixer just because of the large amount of dough.

At any rate, I am answering a different question than the one you asked, but my advice would be to try the manual, stretch-and-fold method before you invest in a commercial mixer. When it comes to gluten development for Neapolitan dough, less is more.

Offline momspizza

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 12:07:13 AM »
ahhh, what a wonderful clue!  I did hand mix my most recent dough and yep, it came out great!  I also make brioche for cinnamon rolls...I think what I need, after reading some of these threads and researching the internet, is a multi purpose dough mixer, heavy on the pizza dough.  Our climate is spring like year round, so a machine that heats the dough while mixing probably wouldn't be the best for our area.  I was happy with my KA Pro HD until I started breaking the gears.  I want something that's going to hold up to the stress of kneading dough.  Flour types will be limited to semolina flour, low gluten flours, having to add wheat gluten & a multi purpose white flour.  Hydration % is still a new topic for me but will probably gravitate to understand that soon.   Looking at what I normally make are you saying that going "Carolyn Ingalls" homestead style may be best?  I do occasionally make bagels as well.  

It's too bad that there are such few reviews for the KA commercial 7 qt. model.  If someone could tell me that it would hold up for me, I'd get that one, but after reviewing the Hobart N50, it scared me off.  I know they aren't even the same model or made by the same company anymore but if a Hobart is considered the best of it's line and a couple of small batches of pizza dough a week will burn up the motor, what kind of damage am I going to do to a KA?   I don't know that I would never venture off and try to make another style pizza dough.  It's just what has worked for me since I started.  

After reading further this evening, I think a spiral may be what I'd like but I'm so unsure of which brand to take a look at.  Also wondering if there is a brand sold here in Mexico that is reliable?

also came across this blog with a list of spiral mixers on the market, i'll put the link here so I don't lose it:
http://www.foodtechcompare.com/Food-Processing-Equipment/371-Spiral-Mixer/

Starting to have another uh huh moment....the odds of finding a spiral mixer 7-10 qt in the US or Mexico probably isn't going to happen?  Or I'm limited to the Avancini brand?  That pretty much narrows down the options. haha 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:31:46 AM by momspizza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 03:30:38 PM »
I love my countertop spiral mixer.  The really nice thing about a spiral mixer is how great it is with a very wide range of dough hydrations, and the mixing action produces a better product than a planetary mixer like a hobart/kitchen aid.    There are very few smaller spiral mixers available, and I cant think of any that are made in the USA.    If you want one thats definitely going to last, go with a european one rather than a chinese one.    A forum member Jconk007 is bringing in some really top quality smaller mixers from italy with excellent prices, so you should contact him if you decide to look into going that route.   His email is  doughlicious@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:33:24 PM by scott r »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »
Thanks Scottr!
Yes I have 5l and  8l single phase for USA  available
These are made in Italy by Mecnosud I don't have power for computer to attach the link  but will get it to you ASAP I will also give you the names of 2 forum members who have purchased them 1 a 5 and 1 an 8
Once they are gone it while be some time before (if)they become available again. shoot me an email doughlicious@hotmail.com and I will hook you up and save you a bunch.  These are great mixers And will probably out last you and I :)
Thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline momspizza

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 01:59:39 AM »
Is there any non commercial mixer that mixes 4 pounds of pizza dough well, without breaking it over time?  If I used my current KA PRO HD kneading on a speed 2, would it keep it from breaking?  Anyone try that?  I can knead by hand but I have a swollen wrist and am wondering if my machine could at least knead a batch or two on a the kneading 2 speed w/out stripping the gears? 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
I have mixed and 11lb batch of dough in my Bosch universal plus.  I found that with a batch that size I could not fit all the ingredients in the mixer if they were all put in at the same time.   To get around this I put in all the ingredients that could fit and had to leave out some of the flour.   I turned the machine on for a few seconds which compacted the ingredients.  After that initial short mix there was enough room to fit the remaining flour in there.  

I have found that for hydrations above 63% the electrolux dlx mixer is probably better, while 63% and lower hydrations seem to come out better in the bosch universal plus.   This number can go up or down for each mixer slightly depending on flour type and other factors, but in general, if you like a very wet dough you should look into the dlx, and if you are doing medium to low hydrations the bosch is your best bet.

I hope you can save your money and avoid a new mixer, but both of these mixers are much less expensive than a countertop commercial mixer and will have no problem with 4lbs + of dough.  Both of these mixers will outlast a kitchen aid many times over.      
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:33:54 AM by scott r »

Offline superslice

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 01:32:54 AM »
I did little bit of reselling of these commercial mixers based on consignment basis.  I can tell you in terms of Brand name whether you are going for floor model or counter top model, best brand is Hobart.

http://www.commercialdoughmixer.com/

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 05:18:43 PM »
I have a Bosch Universal Plus and accesories.  I wasn't happy with the small volume performance.  It seemed to like medium and large batches and even thrived on larger batches.  I am selling it because I do batches of 1 to 3 small pizzas and my wife wants a KA Commercial 8 qt for her cookies and cake baking.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,28733.0.html

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 07:29:32 AM »
Moms Pizza, if you only need to mix 5 pounds of dough, give a look at the Ankarsrum Assistent .  http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/magic_mill_dlx_mixer.aspx

It will handle 5 pounds with no problem, and should last forever.  I picked up a used one and it works great. If you want to do any searches on it, look for posts on the Electrolux Assistent,  Verona Assistent,  Magic Mill DLX,    - it has always been made by the same company in Sweden, but has had different US importers, who put their label on it, over the years.  It is a little different in operation than a normal mixer, but within a few tries you should have no problem figuring it out.  I have found it does a better job with the roller than the dough hook, but most of what I make is pretty high hydration.   The other thing that is pretty special about it, is that it will handle very small amounts of dough as well.  Here is a video of it in operation - though I don't use it the way they do, I stay with my bakers percentages
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMB4CVG5fLs&amp;noredirect=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMB4CVG5fLs&amp;noredirect=1</a>

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:09:20 AM »
In our shop we  have this countertop 10qt mixer.  I have used it for 2 years now with no issues for small dough/baked goods batches.  I agree Hobart is the best american made mixer.  We have a 30 year old 20qt hobart and a newer 20qt thunderbird.  The hobart is far superior all around but for home use any of the cheaper knockoffs should last all your days.  Walter

http://www.centralrestaurant.com/Planetary-Mixer---Tabletop-Unit-10-Qt-Capacity-1-2-HP-c83p28862.html?cid=WSCSGOFPR515-754pla&CAWELAID=1702455994&catargetid=320013760000038347&cadevice=c&gclid=COikp6-EhbsCFWJo7AodxHgAXQ
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:24:17 AM by waltertore »

Offline Ryan2014

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
Spiral Mixers are the ideal machine for restaurants, confectioners, bakeries and home use.  Although forked mixers are superior for high-hydration doughs, spiral mixers allow you to mix wider varieties of dough. Both mixers produce better gluten development due to a lack of heat but spiral mixers cut your mixing time in half.
 Mecnosud in Italy has a line of these from 7 quart size up to 60 qt.  here is a 7 qt one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281211766052&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT  for $1,288.  :chef:

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 10:09:09 AM »
Ryan,

Are you selling that mixer?

Peter

Offline Ryan2014

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 10:35:35 AM »
Ryan,

Are you selling that mixer?

Peter

Nope, but i'm friends with the seller.

Offline Zensojourner

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2013, 11:33:36 AM »
I second the Ankarsrum recommendation - it weighs more than a Bosch UP, but a LOT less than any Hobart or commercial mixer!  I think it weighs about 18 lbs.  It comes with both a SS and a plastic bowl. 

The Bosch UP might do you as well, but you have to buy a SS bowl at an extra expense of $140 for that - though you can probably get it for around half that on amazon.de (just put the page through google translate).  And there is the small batch issue, which must be addressed with additional attachments ranging from a $6 solution to, if that doesn't work for you, a $60+ solution.  So, increased cost there if you need that capability.  Brings it closer to the cost of the Ankarsrum.

There is a learning curve attached to either mixer.  They don't look like or behave like the standard home stand mixers we are used to.  Neither company does a very good job of helping the US user over that speed bump, either.  But if you buy from Pleasant Hill Grain, they have excellent customer service and years of experience in tutoring people in the proper use of their new mixers.

PS - I own a Bosch Compact and formerly owned a Hobart era KA mixer - I am MUCH happier with the Bosch Compact, although I was devoted to the KA for decades.  The Bosch is just a better machine.

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2013, 02:21:27 PM »
Zensojourner,  I have the Compact ,  and I agree with you it is a very well engineered mixer. Based on price and weight, it is a great machine.  It is still on my counter, though the Assistent drove my Bosch Concept to the attic.  It isn't alone, when I got a Bosch Universal, the Universal displaced a KA to the attic as well.