Author Topic: Has anyone tracked down a manual dough sheeter for home use?  (Read 12356 times)

Offline redox

Re: Has anyone tracked down a manual dough sheeter for home use?
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2013, 05:52:44 PM »
I have several of what are probably the least expensive dough rollers/sheeters ever made. The more expensive one have handles to hold onto that connects to a central axle around which a wood or metal barrel rotates. This one is called a "rolling pin" the other is nothing more than a 2" diameter piece of round hardwood 14" long. This one is commonly referred to as a pie pin. Both work great on pizza dough, croissant dough, sweet dough, donut dough, biscuit and yes, even "pie" dough. :)
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
I saw your comment about using a 2" wooden dowel on another thread and got one from Menards for about $6 that was long enough to make 2 pie pins. I works perfectly for Chicago thin crust pies. Another great bit of advice from the Dough Doctor! Sorry I took so long to thank you.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 11:29:42 AM »
yes, for croissant dough, i can see using a sheeter...

i found this company in south africa, dealing with another piece of equipment and came across this manual machine....not sure how much it is, but it looks like a good piece of equipment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bIoqx3Vfv0&feature=player_embedded

I sent them a message a few days ago.  No reply.  I'll try again. They state that their market includes the U.S..
http://www.piedesigns.co.za/series-2009-01-manual-dough-sheeter

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »
I sent another email and got a canned reply

Thank you for your email. We value your inquiry and are attending to your request. At times due to email server delays and or volumes of inquiries it is not always possible for us to reply as promptly as we would like. Please allow 1 - 3 days for our reply. Should you not have received a response from us within three days, please check your spam folder or email us on piedesigns@webafrica.org.za

Offline rbaker6

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
Hello,

I really want to make a cracker-style crust with lots of lamination and bubbles.  For members here in Oregon, the crust I want to make is like Pietro's, Papa's pizza, or Round Table Pizza.  The last time I lurked and researched this on this forum several years ago the belief was that it required a sheeter.  I worked at one of these parlor's in college and that is what I used.  Here, some people have laminated the dough by hand to emulate a sheeter but the results were mixed.

I am willing to buy a manual sheeter for under $500 but don't really want to be the first person here to do so (from my searching).   Other than the sheeter in this thread from Brazil that we can't import, I have seen the links to eBay and Amazon.  I don't want to buy a $50 imported sheeter that is resold on eBay for $500.  I am reluctant to buy a sheeter that was not designed to sheet pizza dough, unless someone here owns one and can recommend it.

If anyone has personally used and recommends a manual sheeter that I can buy for under $500 I would really appreciate hearing about it.  I'd like a wider one, but could deal with a 12 inch (300 mm) model.

Thanks.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2013, 11:24:07 PM »
Laminated crust can be done just fine without a sheeter. It just takes a ton of work that apparently no one other than myself and fazzari has been willing to put themself through more than once or twice. (I'm excluding the people who use shortcut methods, which I'd say do not produce the same results as hard work.) For a whole bunch of pictures of my repeated results, scroll through the Tommy's thread in the Cracker section.

Let me tell you how badly I wish I had a simple, effective, manual sheeter. (Real bad.) I've read Jet-deck's manual sheeter thread over and over and over, but I still haven't quite figured out everything I need to know about his design (and he hasn't responded to my questions). I think making a manual sheeter is a better solution than buying one, based on what seems to be available to buy. Maybe you and I can help each other figure out how to do it.

Offline rbaker6

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 07:57:42 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I decided to get a Blackstone Oven instead of a sheeter.  It seemed the safer thing to do, and I'd like to try all the styles out.  Like you said, I can try and get the same effect with a lot of work if I want to.  In college, we just sheeted the dough multiple times to thin it out to get a Round Table like crust.  We didn't have to fold the dough or use fat or do anything fancy to get lamination.  We did dust the dough constantly to prevent it from sticking to itself or the sheeter, but  that was on the outside of the dough.  I'm pretty sure I saw the whole process except the dough making part  :o  The dough was kept cold in trashbags and they mixed yesterday's left over dough with the fresh dough.  Maybe down the road I will get a sheeter. I barely have space to roll out a pizza dough by hand.

Here's hoping people have made good cracker crusts in the Blackstone!

Offline rbaker6

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 08:24:02 PM »
I just thought of something.  In college at Patty's Pizza,  I would take a thick piece of yesterday's  left over dough and put a piece of fresh dough on it (or under it, I can't remember) and run that through the sheeter on the thickest setting. Then adjust the sheeter thickness down slowly and the dough turned into a bigger and longer snake until it was like 20 feet long.  Reading some of the posts about stacking two hand rolled skins on top of each other and rolling them together to create lamination made me think of this.  I don't know if it was layering the dough or sandwiching older and newer dough that made any difference.

At the time I just assumed they wanted to reuse that nasty, crusty, dried out dough from the day before on their unsuspecting customers but with what I know now about cold fermentation and lamination maybe there was a lot more to it than I knew at the time.

Offline Zensojourner

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2013, 12:04:17 PM »
http://www.clay-king.com/clay_slab_rollers/northstar_portaroller.html

http://www.baileypottery.com/slabrollers/drd2.htm#Mini

Could be made to work?  I mean isn't pizza dough just clay made of flour?  Hmmmm?   ;D

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »
rbaker6 - you still in Oregon?  I just moved up to the Tigard area, although I lived in both Salem and Corvallis before my stint in Arizona....

Offline mp233069

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »
I was looking at the reviews on this sheeter. http://www.ebay.com/itm/221328027153?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The negative and neutral reviews complain that it's not intended for pizza dough. The positive reviews focus on the seller and not so much the product. Does anyone here actually have one of these that can provide a fair assessment as to its suitability for pizza dough?