Author Topic: aluminum pie pan for pizza making?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline preppystud

aluminum pie pan for pizza making?
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:33:29 AM »
i tried to make a pizza by using the regular aluminum pie pan, the result was a little wet. i don't know if it is because i put some onion and pepper in the dough or due to the pan itself?

is it important to buy a pizza pan to make pizza or is it just another way they want to sell us un-necessary products? i don't see a difference b/w an aluminum pie pan and a regular pizza pan other than the size difference?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: aluminum pie pan for pizza making?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Stud;
What was the color of the pan? Bright silver inside and out? Bright silver outside and dark on the inside, or dark both inside and out?
Also, can you share how the pizza was baked? This additional information will be helpful in determining why your pizza wasn't properly baked.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline preppystud

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 06:32:40 PM »
i used regular tomato sauce instead of the piazza sauce. that could be a reason.

my main question is, is it ok to use those aluminum pie pan  to make pizzas?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
Stud;
What was the color of the pan? Bright silver inside and out? Bright silver outside and dark on the inside, or dark both inside and out?
Also, can you share how the pizza was baked? This additional information will be helpful in determining why your pizza wasn't properly baked.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

If you answer Tom's questions you might get an answer to your question.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Jet_deck

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
Pans can make a big difference.  My first real (commercial) pizza pan reversed a couple years of failures for me. But now I think one can make a good pizza in any pan.  But different pans may require different formulations.

I think onions in the dough are a bigger red flag though.  Onions contain a surprising amount of water (peppers too, probably).  Based on what you describe I'd start by eliminating that (use onion powder if need be).

pizzapan