Author Topic: I am Eating Leftover Motorino's, and Other Anniversary Weekend Experiences  (Read 117 times)

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
We got into Williamsburg around 8 PM last night and checked into the Condor Hotel which was itself an experience that would require its own thread to fully explore.  Two dirty rooms and a complimentary bottle of Eden (a sweet Israeli white wine, which I assume was the only thing they could get their hands on) later, we drove to Motorino's.  I was expecting a line, but I guess a late Thursday night table isn't too tough to find.

We ordered some drinks, an order of meatballs, the Brussels sprouts pie and the sopressata pie.  The meatballs were delicious, as were the pies (especially the sopressata.  For some reason the crust was airier and had more flavor).  The candle and oven light was very romantic, but not great for photo taking--though I'm trying to convince my wife that an iPad photo of candle-lit meatballs will be a romantic keepsake that we'll always treasure.

More romantic pizza--er, anniversary stuff to come.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:58:12 AM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
I've been to Brooklyn before, but never to Williamsburg.  What a fascinating place!  We spent the morning walking around the neighborhoods, peeking in to bakeries, and trying to track down the apartment where my grandfather was born 100 years ago.  Turns out the building is now a church, but there were some surviving buildings on the same block that were built in the early 1900s.  Nobody is still alive in my mother's family who would recognize those places anymore, but it was a good feeling to see the area anyway.  Next time we come to NY, we'll do the Bronx to visit the hood where my dad grew up, though I think everything has changed there.

For lunch we stopped into Williamsburg Pizza and ordered two slices--the grandma slice and a cheese slice--and against my better judgment we also ordered the kale salad.  The grandma slice was tasty but the cheese was a home run.  I'm a toppings guy, but the cheese was just terrific and the crust was nearly perfect.  I was somewhat surprised by the good crispness and tender crumb considering the slice was reheated.  Also, the crust was somewhat saltier than I expected, but it worked well with the simple slice.

We've ducked inside to avoid what looks and smells like rain, but doesn't feel like it.  Water falls during rainstorms in Brooklyn, right?

We're thinking Paulie Gee's for supper.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:33:04 PM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Great post! That cheese slice looks fantastic. You're funny too!!  You should have the iPad meatball pic framed (as a joke) and put the frame on your or her bedside table (whichever would be funnier.) The Motorino pizzas look, even in darkness, like they were great!  What a fun trip!
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Josh,

Out of curiosity, did you detect a flavor in the crust that suggested the use of a natural starter? It has been reported, and confirmed by Williamsburg Pizza itself, that WP is using a "homemade yeast". In some reports, the yeast was described as being a "home-cultured yeast".

And can you describe the features of the cheese slice that you sampled, in terms of chewiness, crispness, texture, etc.?

Peter

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
Thanks, Don.  I'll have to do something with the meatball photo . . . My wife is suggesting there's some open real estate on the bathroom wall.

Josh,

Out of curiosity, did you detect a flavor in the crust that suggested the use of a natural starter? It has been reported, and confirmed by Williamsburg Pizza itself, that WP is using a "homemade yeast". In some reports, the yeast was described as being a "home-cultured yeast".

And can you describe the features of the cheese slice that you sampled, in terms of chewiness, crispness, texture, etc.?

Peter

Peter,

I know there is some interest in the nature of the yeast used at Williamsburg, and due to both my inexperience and the fervor of the discussion, I don't feel confident hazarding a guess.  I will say that there was a yeasty flavor to the crust, which my wife noticed with an unsolicited comment.

Regarding the texture: the outer crust was just barely crisp enough to warrant the use of the word crisp, but it maintained that crispness even after cooling.  There was no or very little cracking on the crust when folded.  I would describe that outer texture as a bit leathery, but the bite itself was soft and moist.  The thickness factor seemed slightly thicker than what I make, so I judged it to be around .085 to .090.  Finally, I was on the lookout for a bready texture, which I don't like. This was not bready, or overly chewy or dense.

Josh

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Josh,

I am enjoying your posts and the photos of the pizzas.  The pizzas look really good.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Great pics Josh! Wishing you many more happy years with your bride.....and it is always fun when we can put a face to a members name, thanks.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
I'm glad you are all enjoying some of this stuff, because we are having a great time.  We always get a kick out of visiting New York, but it means a lot to me that my wife is letting me geek out on pizza . . . during our anniversary weekend, no less.

Tonight was a real treat, too.  We drove to the northern end of Williamsburg, to the Greenpoint area, and we got there a bit early.  Our plan was to hit the first shift of diners when they opened the doors for supper at Paulie Gee's, and it was a good idea.  Tables were filled by 6:20.  There was no question about the first pie, the Hell Boy, but we kind of winged it with the second, the Greenpoint Benedict.  Both were really tasty pies, but it would have been a sad story to miss out on the Hell Boy.  Yum!  If we'd had room, I would have loved to try one of the quieter, sparsely topped options to see what else that crust could do.

We went over to the oven and asked if we could watch and snap some photos.  Paulie followed us back to our table and chatted us up for a while.  We talked about pizza in New York, and dining in Boston.  We talked about Mike and his honey.

He asked how we had heard of his place, and I told him, of course, about my recent pizza fanaticism and my 24 hr/day PizzaMaking.com habit. He got a funny smile on his face.

I said, "you know about that forum, don't you?"

He said, "yeah, I know those guys.  I even ate some pizza with those guys.  They came in a huge team, once.  Do you know Texas Craig and Scott123?"

Luckily I had put down my mug, because I would have sprayed the poor guy with nostril-filtered beer.  I told him, sure, I know those guys.  I told him I needed a picture of him for all you guys, and he told me he had the perfect shot.

What a great night! 
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:02:36 PM by quixoteQ »
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
The pies:
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
Pies, the host, and a message  ???