Author Topic: Super long fermentation  (Read 3356 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Super long fermentation
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 01:43:15 PM »
5 cup Caputo 00
3-1/2 cup water
2 tsp IDY
2 tsp salt
1 tsp brown sugar

Wow. I calculate that at .9% yeast.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 01:54:32 PM »
So I don't really know the answer to the question I posed, and I was looking for what other people thought. I agree with Scott in that the longer fermented pies taste better. I don't know if Brooklyn does a cold ferment, but Keste does controlled room temp I believe - and the results are much different from a cold ferment. For all I know this dough is under fermented. I saw the same thing when I ate at Barbone - the taste of the dough was great, but it had a dense, undercooked crumb:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20498.0.html

They use IDY with a 3 day cold ferment.

But I will say that this type of leoparding is not visually appealing, and is a bit too charred for my current taste (IMHO). I know when I bake pies with CY, I get a feather light interior with a puffy, slightly crispy crust. Much like Marlon posted recently in his CY thread. I don't see this pizza having those characteristics. But it may taste great, someone will have to try it and report back.

John

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
John, I believe this dough is not anywhere near being overfermented.  It looks that way because of the possible effects of cold fermentation (much like the surface blisters you get from a cold retarded Tartine loaf).  It might also be highly possible that it is under fermented or not yet ready as you mentioned.   If they would have shown the crumb structure, I would imagine it to be a bit dense and not very airy inside.

Marlon
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:30:38 PM by bakeshack »

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 02:11:19 PM »
Yes, I expected it to be a 24/12 but I didn't get a chance to use it.

Offline JBailey

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Speaking from having observed up close a pizzaiolo or is that fornaio? working a neapolitan oven, I'd hazard a guess that the fire in the oven, timing, placement can still have a massive effect on those charred spots. I don't think fermentation is always the main factor.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
IMHO, if it was due to the fire in the oven or bad manipulation inside while baking, one would get occasional burnt bubbles or char and not the almost uniform distribution of charred bubbles around the crust.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »
btw craig.... I think your awesome... sorry if it seems like im arguing w you.     

No worries. The respect is mutual.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »
From Yelp.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2012, 04:45:40 PM »
Two more from Yelp (one is the same Gene posted, different angle):

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2012, 05:07:51 PM »
I guess I caused quite the stir over at Slice with my question in this thread. I can't believe how crass Adam and Kenji were with their language and comments - especially given the very thoughtful responses people made here. I may never contribute to Slice again:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/first-look-brooklyn-central-park-slope.html#comments

John
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:53:19 PM by dellavecchia »

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2012, 06:10:39 PM »
I guess I caused quite the stir over at Slice with my question in this thread. I can't believe how crass Adam and Kenji were were their language and comments - especially given the very thoughtful responses people made here. I may never contribute to Slice again:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/10/first-look-brooklyn-central-park-slope.html#comments

John

John, don't let them get to you....

truth is that no matter what the reason is, Stefano Ferrara wouldn't be too proud to see pizzas coming out of one of his ovens look like those....
Paolo

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2012, 07:50:39 PM »
IMO  something is going on with WHEN these crusts are divided.  over-fermented before final balling is what I see.  Too much air in the dough creates these huge pockets that blow up when they hit the oven.  -marc

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2012, 09:50:48 PM »
Think you are on to something there @WSP.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 09:53:55 PM »
IMO  something is going on with WHEN these crusts are divided.  over-fermented before final balling is what I see.  Too much air in the dough creates these huge pockets that blow up when they hit the oven.  -marc

I completely agree. This is one of the reasons why I have stressed many times that there should be almost zero signs of fermentation when you go from bulk to ball.

Phar Lap

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:53 PM »
Craig,

Great PM-defending response on Slice!

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
I dug some of Gene's spilled dough out of the trash and have it hydrating to use as a starter.  How often should I feed it?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2012, 10:40:37 PM »
I dug some of Gene's spilled dough out of the trash and have it hydrating to use as a starter.  How often should I feed it?

Every two or three days or so should be fine. Once it is good and active, put it in the fridge and it can go for maybe 6 months without any feeding.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
I can't believe how crass Adam and Kenji were with their language and comments - especially given the very thoughtful responses people made here.

Maybe something like don't bite the hand that feeds ya?

Thanks for your post, I rarely visit that site but that is very interesting.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2012, 10:57:55 PM »

Tom, it is going to get pretty "hoochey" before it gets good.  Just stay the course with feeding and dumping and feeding.  At my home, Craig's starter prefers a bit stiffer meal than 50/50 water flour.  Miss Ischca likes a 60/40 flour water meal here.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
The pizza in question looks to me like it missed the prime window of fermentation without crossing into too over-fermented. Usable, but not optimum. But it's a business, and with that comes times when they will both nail it and miss the mark. The nature of the beast. Consistency is probably the hardest part once you get it all figured out.

Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer