Author Topic: Super long fermentation  (Read 3636 times)

Offline I Have Feet

Re: Super long fermentation
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
I just read through that whole exchange on Slice. It was amusing and I agree that Adam Kuban and Kenji's initial comments were really disrespectful. I discovered Slice before this forum and I continue to read both. While I love the "My Pie Mondays", "Top This" and "Daily Slice" columns for getting ideas for flavour combinations, when it comes to learning how to improve my pizza making skills I've gained exponentially more knowledge from this forum. Sure a small minority of posters can come across as rather zealotish in their preaching (one stands out in my mind...  ::) ) but in terms of the weath of information available here, Slice cannot hope to compare. Some of the advice Kenji gives in his Pizza Lap column is just downright bad. (Sugar in a NP dough???)

The Slice commenter "Godot" who brought all the attention to this thread seems to have a real hate on for this forum. I've seen many times where he pops on just to ridicule and insult this community. Is there some back story to this? Is he some disgruntled former member who takes the Internet way too seriously?

Anyways, I want to say a big thank you to all the "experts" who I've learned from by reading your threads and following your advice and encouragement. Many of you are posting in this thread, and the vast majority have been friendly and encouraging.

Cheers,

Brendan

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Super long fermentation
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
My own personal comments:
From the look of the picture (white colored crust with highly contrasting char, actually beyond char. My gut feel is that the dough may well have been over fermented to the point where the acidity formed as a result of fermentation is inhibiting the browning reaction, hence the only place where the crust can actually develop any color is at the site of the bubbles/blisters, where the surface of the crust gets exceptionally hot, while the remainder of the crust doesn't actually get hot enough within the allowed bake time to develop color (remember the acidity), hence the strong contrasting of colors. As for the bottom bake, I would guess that it might have been rather spotty and inconsistent.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan