Author Topic: Still in search of that elusive "Pizzeria" sauce  (Read 3262 times)

Offline youonlylivetwice

Still in search of that elusive "Pizzeria" sauce
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:48:25 PM »
I don't know how regional this stuff is, but the few real good pizzerias here in Milwaukee all have something about their sauce I just can't duplicate at home.   As new people are always joining I thought I'd ask again... does anyone know any 'secrets' to getting a pizzeria type flavor in their sauce?  I would say they (what I am after) are characterized by a deeper, richer flavor, not at all sweet or tangy, and not really 'fresh' as dumb as that sounds.  Definitely spiced beyond just ordinary tomato flavor, but the flavors seem so well blended it is hard to distinguish the individual tastes....

Has anyone used beef or other soup bases?  maybe that is part of the equation.

It kills me I just can't get it close.....

thanks everyone!!

Offline bicster

Re: Still in search of that elusive "Pizzeria" sauce
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 04:06:01 PM »
Call the Pennsylvania Macaroni Company (www.pennmac.com) and purchase a can of:  Saporito Pizza Sauce w/Basil.  Its the best move (sauce-wise) you can make.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 04:06:51 PM »
I have been struggling with the same question for quite some time.  I think I've found the answer though--made some sauce the last two times which has been quite pizzeria-like.

I used a can of Escalon 6-in-1 as a base.  To this, I added some salt, a little sugar, and a little olive oil.  Then I added a healthy amount of something called "Loretta's Pizza Seasoning", which is sold at my local WalMart for $2.  When cooked on the pizza, it tasted GREAT.  Really terrific.

Hope that helps,
Dave

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 04:10:38 PM »
Years ago when I worked on a Cruise Ship I made a tomatoe sauce that I used on a Pizza as follows:
Olive Oil
Large can of whole plum toms in juice
One Beef boullion Cube
Pinch of sugar
Black pepper
Couple of crushed cloves of Garlic
pinch of Dried Oregano
Pinch of dried Marjoram
Finely Diced onion
Maybe a dash of lemon Juice to balance it out

Crush the tomatoes down and add to sweated onions/garlic.Add everything else and reduce to desired consistency.Check seasoning and add as desired.Usually no Salt is required due to the Beef Cube.I have also varied this with the addition of a dash of Worcester sauce and some Red pepper flakes.Sauces are always fun to play around and experiment.Having said that,I did this 30 years ago before I became a purist !Good luck,
                                                                          David
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 04:16:41 PM »
Thanks a lot,  I am going to try the beef boullion this weekend.  Dave, is that Loretta's stuff a WalMart brand?  I will have to go check it out.....  hope my local WM has it....

Bicster, as dumb as this sounds, I really want to recreate the sauce myself.  I guess it is an irrational quest just to do it balanced with me always trying to get a taste+reasonably healthy recipe.  I could always just order out if easy was what I was after.  I really want to make this myself....  Thanks for the tip though!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 04:28:26 PM »
YOLT,

I believe the Loretta's Pizza Seasoning may only be available in Canada. Many of us have used the Penzeys pizza seasoning, which is available online (at penzeys.com) or in their retail store locations. They are in 19 states at the moment. I sometimes combine the Penzeys with standard bottled dried Italian herb seasonings, and that seems to work well.

Peter

Offline youonlylivetwice

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 04:31:07 PM »
Thanks Peter, actually Penzey's HQ is about 10 minutes from my home.  I have that seasoning you mentioned, but it tastes more like what the sausage should be (to me) than the sauce.  It has such a strong fennel taste, and so much salt. 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 05:48:23 PM »
YOLT,

I agree with you.  I picked up the penzy's pizza seasoning after reading the recommendations from many people on this site.  I really do like it, but I use it almost as if it was just fennel, not as if it was a balanced seasong blend.  Just a dash, or my sauce can start tasting like it has too much fennel in it really fast.  I think adding a high quality oregano, and other typical pizza herbs along with it has given me better flavor than the penzy's alone.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 06:36:23 PM »
I believe Peter may be correct in surmising that Loretta's Pizza Seasoning is a Canadian thing (it isn't, however, a WalMart thing, as I only found it there after originally finding it at a store called the Italian Market Grocery here in Edmonton).

In any case, I think the key discovery for me in achieving a true pizzeria taste to my sauce was the addition of salt, a little sugar, and olive oil to the tomato base and pizza seasonings.  With just the base and seasonings, the sauce was nowhere near the same taste--quite inferior.

I couldn't even tell you exact measurements for those three additions (I have to measure it next time I make some sauce).  All I know is, experiment with adding a good bit of salt, a little sugar, and a drizzle or two of olive oil, and I think you'll find your sauce much improved, no matter which pizza seasonings you try.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave

Offline Y-TOWN

Re: Loretta Products
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 12:33:23 AM »
Loretta sells both branded and private-label products to major retailers in both Canada and the United States, including:

- Wal-Mart Canada               - Dollarama
- Shoppers Drug Mart            - Family Dollar
- PharmaPlus                    - Giant Tiger
- FoodBasics (A&P Canada)       - Dollar General
- Aldi USA                      - Bulk Barn

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 08:52:18 PM »
The biggest improvement in my sauce has been to stop cooking it first.  I just pop the usual ingredients in the blender and go.  It usually sits in the fridge overnight, just to soften up the dried spices a bit.  Other than that, no cooking, and no added oil.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 12:33:30 AM »
I would totally agree that not cooking it beforehand is an essential part of retaining a good pizzeria taste.