Author Topic: Italian Farina Fairy  (Read 1716 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Italian Farina Fairy
« on: November 01, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
She brought me a 25kg bag of flour.  I made quantity 2 of a 1kg batch.  This is the first time that I achieved what I call that nice "silly putty" look to the dough.  They are at rest in the cell for 24hrs.  I followed Craigs' garage dough method, but with my Bosch.
www.le5stagioni.it
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Italian Farina Fairy
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »
They funniest thing is that the Caputo guy turned the Farina Fairy on to the place that sells this stuff, here in Texas.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:10:19 PM »
What? So now I'm a fairy?  :-D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 11:16:58 PM »
What? So now I'm a fairy?  :-D

See; the problem is that nobody actually had know that you brought it to me, but if that's the way Farina faries roll, ain't no business of mine.      ;D

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »
I shouldn't really judge it against the Caputo, yet.  But, I will.  It required mutch less attention when resting and during the stretch and folds to get it where I think it should be, to rest in the cell. YMMV, mine did not.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »
I just checked the dough in the cell.  She's a bit on the warm side, so I tossed in another ice block.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
The dough was at 65 this am on my way out the door.  Ima let the kiddo's ball it tonight.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
I had to unload a pallet of oak that I bought for the wfo at noon today.  I checked and the temp was up to 69, so I changed the ice bottles.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:20:58 PM »
I must report that the first go at the wfo, at my home,  was a disaster.  The bottoms were charred at 30 seconds.  I gave the oven a 1 hour cool down time, but to still no avail.  I resorted to cooking near the entry of the oven, then doming the pies to finish.  The results were so horrible, that I din't even waste film on my camera to document the horror show.

As I have reported I followed Craig's "How I make my dough".  The dough looked to me to be better than the batch I took to pickup the oven.  I am pointing two fingers as to the failure.  1)  I had neglected the starter, it was mighty hoochey and wasn't ready to go. 2) I very possibly could have over fired the oven. ( I mean, I am a guy who loves fire, who doesn't?  The cool thing is that I must try again, lol.

I did manage to cook a skin and spread with Nutella and powdered sugar, that nobody complained about.  No real problems here.... :pizza: :chef:

Tom did an excellent job on this oven, it is a tank.  A very hot tank if I may say.  I lost my IR gun in the move and I will replace it soon.  But I'm telling you that you can get your eyebrows burned standing in front of the oven, and hug the exterior to cool off if you need. :P

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:28:04 AM »
Gene - the oven will start to even out as you keep using it. Also, since you are not looking for retained heat, you may not need to fire it for so long - I don't know the answer though. Go for a floor temp of 800 to start with. Craig's floor is a different material, and his 875 floor may be different from yours.

As for dough, you want to make sure you do not overferment. Cooking at NP temps can be very forgiving in many ways, but over fermented dough is not one of them.

It takes a few weekes of firing and working with your oven to get it down. Keep at it.

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:49 AM »
The different floor material is a good point. Your fire brick is probably more conductive. I also move my fire over at least an hour before baking. You might need to move yours much sooner. Did you measure the floor temp?

I generally only burn 1 piece of wood at a time when I'm pre-heating.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »
Did you notice any moisture (darker color) on the exterior?  The floor is dry as a bone, but the dome probably still has quite a bit of moisture left.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
Thank you John, Craig and Tom.

I know that the dome is wet, because I forgot about that hole that you left in the top.  We had a small shower come through, before I remembered to cover it. :'(

I moved the fire over minutes before I cooked on it. That won't happen again. >:D

I used multiple logs at the same time to fire it.  I will cut back on that. :angel:

John, I don't think the dough was overfermented based on time, temp,  but the neglected hoochey starter I used couldn't have helped anything. :-X

Thanks for the words of wisdom. :chef:

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 02:45:22 PM »
Different oven again, but for my FGM, I do burn several small logs at a time during preheat, but I have to move the fire over to the side more than an hour before I want to cook or I burn the bottoms of everything.  I think in my very efficient oven, moving the fire closer to 2 hours ahead of time would be better than 1 hour. 

And it takes a while to get the hang of an oven and the hang of the whole process.  There is so much prep for making pizzas and added to the stress of a new WFO, it takes a while to get a routine and a system down.   

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:43 PM »
...  I think in my very efficient oven, moving the fire closer to 2 hours ahead of time would be better than 1 hour. ...

Thanks Robyn, I really had no ideal that I needed to move it that long before I cooked on it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 06:20:16 PM »
X3 Gene I had similar problems  wih the mobile I Now finish heating last 45 Min  onside and leave it there
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
X3 Gene I had similar problems  wih the mobile I Now finish heating last 45 Min  onside and leave it there
John

Thanks John.  That is good to know.  Who knew these silly ovens could get to hot?  That is just if I didn't completely screw up the dough. :-D

Thinking back to the oven pickup party, Tom handed me the oven in the 'ready to cook mode'.  I had no idea that there was a process to get there.  Let the good times roll.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 10:06:49 PM »
I fired it at 1:30, what time did we put the first pizza in?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
I fired it at 1:30, what time did we put the first pizza in?

I don't remember.

Here is the lowdown on what happened. On Friday,  I gave the Home Commander in Chief the option of Saturday or Sunday pizza.  She lets me know that Saturday pizza at 7:30pm ish  is fine at about  12:00 noon on Saturday.  I had fired the oven on fri. eve and the dome cleared, but not the walls.  I hit the oven pretty hard at 12:30 Sat. afternoon with the cactus torch and a few (3) logs.  Messed around for 45 min or so, and cut off the torch.  Mowed some of the yard, and returned sometime later to find the logs that I chose must have been wet, and the fire was out.  Grabbed the cactus burner and re-lit the logs that had just been burning and looked so good.  I was fixing to call wifey and tell her that the oven wasnt going to be up to temp, but I went through the pallet of wood and found 5 logs (arm size) that looked older and dry.  I built a log tent and fired them pretty good too.  I went to the store to buy toppings and returned about 4:00.  The oven was clear everywhere. ;D

I think I nuked the oven, didn't move the coals soon enough and probably jacked the dough with the hoochey starter.

I can fix all of these next cook.  

I realize I didn't directly answer your question, but just had to get that off my chest, again. :chef:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:34:29 PM by Jet_deck »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
You will figure it out.  A little fire to start, then once the roof starts clearing put the wood to it and keep the coals to the edges or remove some of them altogether.

pizzapan