Author Topic: windows won`t load  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: windows won`t load
« Reply #80 on: July 15, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
Don..now please don`t tell anyone this...I am actually Wolf Gang Puck...shhhh!  ;)

Live, Love, and Eat!!   8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
  • But I already done done it that way!
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »
Don..now please don`t tell anyone this...I am actually Wolf Gang Puck...shhhh!  ;)

Live, Love, and Eat!!   8)

The body double from his latest Pizza book? Or, the real deal? If so, I'd like to thank you for your microwave steamer I bought from QVC.  And, I'd simultaneously like to slap you for making Thai BBQ Chicken Pizza 'popular!'  :-D

It's almost Icehouse time! 
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2014, 04:56:15 PM »
Bob an weave baby, Bob an weave.  8)

Yeeeyabadabadoooo!!

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
You are the shiznet!  A favorite was, "Why does it have to be so ugly"  that could have come straight from last night's episode of Halt and Catch Fire!  I have not doubt, it will be learned that Pete-zza is the man behind the digital archives of the Library of Congress and that TXCraig is on sabbatical from JPL/Rocketdyne's Jupiter Lander program!  The Pizzamaking forum members are fascinating!  Thanks for sharing.
Love the slice - paid in full!  Thanks for the humor and kind words.  I forgot about sharing the 'ugly' quip. :-D  This forum is indeed fortunate to have a good community of helpful contributors.
Dave

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
guyzz...could we paleeeze stay on top here....sheeesh!   ::)

Offline scott123

« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2014, 05:29:40 PM »
!!!SCOTTY WINS>>>SCOTTY WINS!!!

Yay?  ???

Seriously, Bob, I'm happy for you.  The advice you're getting on taking a few precautions for the future is definitely worth following.

1. Make a system disk
2. Run an app that checks smart errors (smart errors are notoriously unreliable, but they're better than nothing)

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

3. Get an identical model hard drive, install it, and clone your old drive to the new one, using bit by bit cloning (clonezilla has a lot of fans)
4. Run checkdsk

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method1

As far as programs like Spinrite and Hard Disk Sentinel go... Spinrite has a pretty big fan base and a healthy number of success stories, but, the mechanism isn't fully understood, and from the way the author describes it, it seems a bit intrusive.  I think, for a problematic drive, as a last resort, spinrite is worth trying, but I'm not sure I'd take that route after I got the drive up and running.  If you did wish to try it, I'd make sure you've cloned it first.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2014, 05:42:29 PM »
Yay?  ???

Yeah man...you stuck to your guns about the drive not being fried and that encouraged me to keep on digging at it...thanks dude!!   :chef:

Offline scott123

« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2014, 06:04:52 PM »
Yeah man...you stuck to your guns about the drive not being fried and that encouraged me to keep on digging at it...thanks dude!!   :chef:

Since you put it that way :) I'm happy to be of service.

Seriously, though, just because you're sitting in front of a working OS doesn't necessarily mean that you're out of the woods.  An ounce of prevention...

If this recent issue was hard drive related (not a fatal hd problem, but still something drive related) the technology may not exist to confirm it, but, as I said, you can do a few things to cover your butt should you be in this situation again.

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
  • But I already done done it that way!
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2014, 06:07:04 PM »
Since you put it that way :) I'm happy to be of service.

Seriously, though, just because you're sitting in front of a working OS doesn't necessarily mean that you're out of the woods.  An ounce of prevention...

If this recent issue was hard drive related (not a fatal hd problem, but still something drive related) the technology may not exist to confirm it, but, as I said, you can do a few things to cover your butt should you be in this situation again.

^^^

and could not have said it better myself.  CB - we push because we love!  ;)

Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2014, 06:18:33 PM »

CB - we push because we love!  ;)

Don
Whaaat?!!  Now jus hold on there a minute feller..... :-[

j/k, thanks again Don!   :chef:

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »
Hooray!!! It's alive! It's alive! Bob you are light years ahead of the Puck. He opened up a bistro in Tulsa about a year and half ago. It lasted about 9 months before closing. I'm sure you could have done better :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »
If, so, I've got a patent on that (5555158).

Or you did right up to the point when you assigned it to Intel.

I'm in the same boat.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline scott123

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2014, 07:28:10 PM »
It is difficult to tell from the photos, but I'm pretty sure that is an ATX design.  If, so, I've got a patent on that (5555158).

I totally missed this.  You invented the ATX form factor?!?!  WOW!!!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o :o

I'm impressed.  That's some pretty serious geek cred.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2014, 01:27:26 PM »
Thx.  Hopefully we can just let this fade into the archive.  I'm more the kind of guy that never picked up a college diploma and threw out patent plaques when I left the company.  The better question is how is my pizza making coming? Meh.
Dave

Offline scott123

« Reply #94 on: Yesterday at 03:29:43 AM »
Thx.  Hopefully we can just let this fade into the archive.  I'm more the kind of guy that never picked up a college diploma and threw out patent plaques when I left the company.

Dave, if you think there's any hope in heck that you're going to downplay this, you're highly mistaken.  I'm sitting here working on an ATX form factor system, and I have another 6 performing various functions in the room next door.  I have been known to sit in front of AT systems and say to myself "God, I hate AT SO MUCH!!!"  I've also spent hours cursing old Dell and Gateway systems for their proprietary form factors. ATX is the bomb! :)

The only reason I bought a computer is because it was relatively simple and cheap to build one.  Without ATX, I'm not entirely certain that I would have built my first system.  If I hadn't built my own computer and waited until I could afford a pre-built system- that could have been years.  Without ATX, I could be living a very different life. I wouldn't be where I am today.

How many years has the ATX form factor dominated? In an industry where EVERYTHING is constantly changing?  Do you know how ecstatic it makes me to be able to buy beautiful computer cases 15 years ago and still be swapping out components today? To be able to comfortably work with 9 year old power supplies? In a world where everything is obsolete in the blink of an eye, here's the rare diamond that stands the test of time.

You can throw away all the plaques you want, but it doesn't make a bit of difference to me. As far as I'm concerned, you're a superstar :)

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: Yesterday at 09:38:15 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I was dealing with the same challenges you describe back then.  Besides, the Pentium Pro, with a greater pin count, was a bugger to route traces and needed a massive heat sink - i.e. few free slots.  For me, the fascinating chess game was converting the entire market from AT to ATX in one CPU generation.  I wasn't sure they would go for it.  We decided to freely license the patent which took away many of the reservations and even Apple joined in the fun.  (I've always loved Apple's product design and passion.)

My more passionate story is relevant to the forum.  A few years before ATX I filed an invention disclosure detailing how PCs could and should automatically sleep (idle) when not in use.  At that time, it was just becoming possible to dynamically throttle the CPU clock, and suspend other subsystems including monitors, so we didn't need to waste all that energy.  It was my first patent application and it was quickly rejected.  After about a year I had a prototype working, thanks to a helpful volunteer team, and I almost got terminated for going ahead.  Fortunately the EPA head Carol Browner and Al Gore liked it, and they had this new program called Energy Star.  We sold a lot of those, and the design ingredients were part of every PC design since.  (Plus it was pretty easy to get support for new ideas after that).  In the end, it didn't matter about the patent, we would have given that one away as well.

What does Al Gore have to do with Pizza? :-D  I think we waste a lot of energy making pizza - not especially in a high-volume restaurant setting, but more with occasional users like me.  I really like how a simple, inexpensive toaster does it's job - good toast, evenly colored, no wait, little waste.  I'm more passionate about using only the energy I need in a pizza oven than I am about making pizza.

So does that Blackstone really need a 55k BTU flame thrower?  Nope.  Do we really need all the thermal mass of a WFO to make Neo pie?  I don't think so.  Do home users need a big deck oven?  Maybe for some, but I do hope to see a retail version of that modified G3.

Dave

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #96 on: Yesterday at 10:11:15 AM »
I'm more passionate about using only the energy I need in a pizza oven than I am about making pizza.

So does that Blackstone really need a 55k BTU flame thrower?  Nope.  Do we really need all the thermal mass of a WFO to make Neo pie?  I don't think so.  Do home users need a big deck oven?  Maybe for some, but I do hope to see a retail version of that modified G3.

Dave

Do we need to spend hours surfing the internet or posting on web forums? Nope. Do we need Xboxes and Playstations. I don't think so. Do home users need a Core i7 with thousands of GPU cores? Maybe for some. Think about how much energy we we wouldn't waste if we only used computers when we really needed them. The amount of energy wasted making pizza at home doesn't even rise to the level of trivial in comparison.  ;)

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline scott123

« Reply #97 on: Today at 08:31:38 AM »
My more passionate story is relevant to the forum.  A few years before ATX I filed an invention disclosure detailing how PCs could and should automatically sleep (idle) when not in use.  At that time, it was just becoming possible to dynamically throttle the CPU clock, and suspend other subsystems including monitors, so we didn't need to waste all that energy.  It was my first patent application and it was quickly rejected.  After about a year I had a prototype working, thanks to a helpful volunteer team, and I almost got terminated for going ahead.  Fortunately the EPA head Carol Browner and Al Gore liked it, and they had this new program called Energy Star.  We sold a lot of those, and the design ingredients were part of every PC design since.

So, the power saving features, that's your doing? Consider my reverence tempered ;D

As much joy as I've gotten out of ATX, I've probably suffered through an equal amount of angst with systems that won't sleep successfully.  Drives me bonkers :)  It's like Charlie Brown and the football. Every time I purchase a new mobo, I say to myself "This is the one that I'm going to be able to get to sleep... this is it," and, of course, after hours of tweaking later, the darn thing hangs on me when I try to wake it up- either I can't get it to wake up, or I can't get it to sleep. Every time. And this is major electricity dollars going out the window every month, so you better believe I've spent countless hours trying to make it work.

I know full well it wasn't your vision, but, for me, power saving features have been nothing but a nightmare.

As far as energy efficiency in pizza ovens, I'd wager to say that, compared to a WFO, a blackstone is pretty darn efficient. And, while I've been waiting for someone to step up and make a bigger/better G3, it seems that the manufacturers are moving in the other direction- cheaper/worse.  We've recently proven that, with enough top heat, a bottom element/burner is completely unnecessary.  I don't foresee it happening soon, but I'd be ecstatic if someone put all the watts (and a lot of them) in a top element and lost the bottom element entirely.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: Today at 09:24:17 AM »
Your temper is deserved, Scott. :D  I'm not sure what's up in your systems (funky BIOS, MOBO, or Linux?).  I can't remember the last time I had trouble with it (except Ubuntu - that O/S doesn't like to sleep on my dual boot laptop.).  You can always turn off the power saving features and just shut down the computer manually as needed.

What I really proposed included instant on.  In fact, the patent and the presentation was called “The Instant On PC” (24 years ago).  From the users perspective the concept was very similar to the Android G Tab that Verizon gave me recently on some promo.  Touch here and it comes on instantly, touch again, or leave alone for awhile, and it is off.  For some reason, when you get two elephants in a moment of passion things get messy (Wintel).  But now that cell phones and tablets are near-instant, I think the mess will get cleaned up.

Dave