Author Topic: Bicycles......what's everyone got?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Jackitup

Bicycles......what's everyone got?
« on: September 08, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
So, in a nut shell trying to get my old fat ass in shape :-\ After 3 knee surgeries (last one a total knee replacement) and 5 other surgeries on my ankles and a couple toes, and 7 effed up disks in my back and neck, time to fight back a little harder! >:( So I bought a Specialized 2014 Expedition Sport Comfort Bike. I wanted something I could comfortably ride without bending forward and has good suspension. I've been averaging 5-10 miles a day since I bought it a week ago!! Surprised the sh1t out of myself :-D What do others have for self powered cycle thingies ;D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Bicycles......what's everyone got?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 03:41:53 PM »
Wow, sounds like you have had a heck of a struggle with your body parts.  Hoping you are on the mend and great that you are working it.

I have had fitness/weight problems forever and I ended up hooked on cycling around 15 years ago.  I ended up creating a collection of 4 bikes, all road bikes.  Thankfully, I have stopped collecting and ride what I have.

I ride at least once a week for about 30 miles with a lot of rolling hills and more (there is no flat place in the SF East Bay).  And, I go to spin class at least once a week.

The cycling did not make everything "all better" but it sure has helped a lot!

Thoughts for you to consider:

The seat on the bike looks pretty bad to me.  Contrary to what many may think, the big springy wide cushy seats are the worst.  Your duration goes way down.  A harder, narrower seat is usually better for any rides beyond 5 miles or so.  It does take awhile to get used to - you have to break in your butt.  It is the one thing on that bike that screamed out at me.

That upright position looks very very upright.  You may tell me that it is more comfortable (not bending forward, etc.) but it actually causes you to have a lot more pressure on your butt.  The 3 contact points are the butt, the hands and the feet and you want your weight pressure distributed to all 3.  The pressure on your butt forces you to try to offset it with all the the springs etc.

Did you get "fitted to the bike."?  If you did not, please get help from the bike shop - adjustments as small as a cm can make incredible differences in comfort and endurance.

Good luck and glad you are in the seat.  Miles matter!

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

- Mitch

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:56:03 PM by mitchjg »

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
My good old single speed/coaster brake Sun Boardwalk Beach Cruiser. Been with me for several years.

$50 on Craigslist. The rust serves an anti-theft purpose, plus I can remove the seat with a flip of my finger. 
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 04:31:03 PM »
BTW, my 4 bikes (acquired during the manic, gotta buy a new bike phase) are 2 titanium litespeeds (1 is "touring" (more comfy), the other road/racing), a Guerciotti (old italian maker, steel frame.  I built the bike myself.  Build = acquiring the drivetrain, wheels, pedals, etc and assembling and adjusting all on the frame.  Not welding or anything like that).

The 4th is a Rivendell Rambouillet.  These guys are very retro and they are focussed on comfort, comfort and endurance.  They are kind of fanatic about avoiding all the new modern, fancy shmancy stuff.

It is a gorgeous, comfortable bike.  A pig in terms of weight.  I will never win a race on it.  But, I am an fat old guy, so i am not going to win any races anyway.

Retro - bar end shifters.  All steel frame.  Cork tape on the handlebars.  Brooks saddle (remember what I said about saddles?  I swear by these saddles.  Taut leather that breaks into the shape of your butt after a few hundred miles.  They have been making them pretty much the same way since 1866).   The lug work on these bikes is awesome.  They stopped making bikes with beautiful lug work decades ago.

- Mitch

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 04:58:08 PM by mitchjg »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 04:59:42 PM »
after not riding since I got my license a million years ago...  I decided that I needed a bike this year.    I bought a hybrid but not sure it's the right bike, I may test drive some road bikes next spring

Fuji Traverse 1.3

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »
mitchjg: That Rivendell is BEAUTIFUL.  :drool:

I'm on a 1993 Trek Singletrack 970 that I'm slowly converting into more of a commuting bike. This is where it's at right now. I subbed in some Panaracer Pasela Tourguard tires to deal with crappy Queens/NYC streets. Put on some bar-ends to help give me some different riding positions. Eventually I want to put some Nitto Northroad or Albatross bars on, but I gotta wait till I have more disposable income for that, because I'll likely have to switch out shifters and brake levers, too.

I bought this about a year and a half ago as a replacement for my old college-days bike, which I LOVED. Some guys have a midlife crisis and buy a sports car. I just obsessively combed Craigslists around the country looking for this exact frame and color. Sadly, I don't commute to work as much as I should. This thread is a good reminder to do so.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 02:08:52 AM »
This is my Rocky Mountain 29'r.  I don't have a car, just bike.
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 07:50:21 AM »
Specialized rock hopper that's got a bunch of upgraded parts on it....but the bike hangs in the shed mostly.  I just bought my boy his first bike, so I need to dust mine off and hit the road.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:22:49 AM »
Specialized rock hopper that's got a bunch of upgraded parts on it....but the bike hangs in the shed mostly.  I just bought my boy his first bike, so I need to dust mine off and hit the road.

I had a rock hopper that I gave to my son in law. Was setting in the shed and needed a bunch of work so let him have at it

jon

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 10:29:07 PM »
In 1971 I got a French Royal Asport bike. It was a double butted 531 aluminum aircraft hand braised tubing. It cost $361, which at the time you could buy a decent used car. It had glue on sew up tires.  If you had a flat, you had to cut the threads that held the tire closed. Fix the inner tube and sew the tire back up and glue it to the rim.  Years later they had tires that were the same small size made of Kevlar. I only had one flat at a triathlon. But I changed the tube and finished next to last. I did do two triathlons with Lance Armstrong before he switched to pure biking.
  I got a Trek mountain bike in 1996, a Trek 1600 aluminum frame. It is very light weight, but with the gear ratio not much fun for leasurly ride.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 11:10:39 PM »
I ride an Electra Townie 8 internal hub to work and home twice a day. Less than 3 miles round trip, but I have found that it's consistency of lifestyle that keeps you fit, not going to the gym once in a while. The geometry is great if you have back or wrist issues. I'd love to get an aggressive mountain bike but the prone position wreaks havoc on my wrists. I swapped out the Townie handlebar for a bullhorn and I sit almost upright on the bike. The Fat Franks absorb anything the road has to offer. Just got the wife the Townie 7d in polar blue. It's a sexy bike with the white trim accents. Been doing the "family bike ride" thing a few times during the week after dinner. For anyone with young kids, I'd highly recommend it. It's a great time with the family - burning calories too!

Offline communist

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 08:58:14 PM »
My recumbent tandem

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 10:02:25 PM »
My recumbent tandem

Looks like a great bike!  But, how do you stay on it?  You both look like you are about the crash into the earth!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:26:44 PM »
I ride an Electra Townie 8 internal hub to work and home twice a day. Less than 3 miles round trip, but I have found that it's consistency of lifestyle that keeps you fit, not going to the gym once in a while. The geometry is great if you have back or wrist issues. I'd love to get an aggressive mountain bike but the prone position wreaks havoc on my wrists. I swapped out the Townie handlebar for a bullhorn and I sit almost upright on the bike. The Fat Franks absorb anything the road has to offer. Just got the wife the Townie 7d in polar blue. It's a sexy bike with the white trim accents. Been doing the "family bike ride" thing a few times during the week after dinner. For anyone with young kids, I'd highly recommend it. It's a great time with the family - burning calories too!

My brother has the Townie 8, I was looking to get something similar and got the Specialized Comfort, been liking it a lot!

jon

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 08:57:06 AM »
Here's what I roll on. When I want to feel like a kid again. :)

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/se_racingcurrent/30213
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
My current rides are a Motobecane Le Champion titanium frame road bike; and a Torker steel framed fixed gear.......

Offline pdog

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 03:13:34 PM »
I Have 2 trusty steads I ride frequently.  I typically post 150-200 miles a week.

First bike - very cheap fixie (under 100 bucks but with some upgrades IE brakes - Knees aren't what they used to be haha)

This is my around town bike if long stops are planned - IE drinks and dinner ext.  I don't worry about this gal.  Although trusty she goes missing I can easily build a new one in a weekend. 

Second bike - Cannondale 29'er.  Love this bike.  I changed the mountain bike tires out for 700x35 slicks.  I only lock this bike up on the street if I absolutely have too.  I would be much more upset if this one took a walk with a stranger. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 03:15:38 PM by pdog »

Offline Gags

« Reply #17 on: Today at 06:10:58 PM »
2012 Specialized Epic Expert!

"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"