Author Topic: What Are You Eating Right Now???  (Read 97950 times)

Offline redox

Re: What Are You Eating Right Now???
« Reply #780 on: August 15, 2013, 01:19:14 AM »
Nice looking sauce on that perfectly cooked victim.  8)
Thanks, that's a particularly tasty mushroom/beef broth/red wine sauce.

Offline Condolini

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #781 on: August 15, 2013, 10:11:10 AM »
Or reheated the next day.    Have you ever had leftover getty(sauce mixed with the pasta)reheated in a frying pan real hot?  Like candy, man!  :drool:

Don't mix the leftover sgetti with sauce, oil or butter it to prevent sticking, refrigerate until the next day. Mix up a couple of eggs, salt and pepper, and some grated Parm. Add leftover sgetti, stir to combine. Melt butter in frypan, pour egg/sgetti mix in, fry until brown and crispy. Flip and brown the other side. Sprinkle with a little more parm and eat. Sauce is optional. I always called this a spaghetti pancake, great for breakfast.

I haven't been making pizza, it's too hot to turn on the oven.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #782 on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
Leftovers from last nites ribeye and pinot/chicken mushroom sauce, baby potatoes and eggplant with an sunny side up egg. Kind of a ramped up hash. A piece of toast to sop up the plate with....PERFECT supper!!!
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Mal

« Reply #783 on: August 20, 2013, 07:43:53 PM »
(Angus) Burger topped with Gruyère, caramelized onion and sautéed field mushrooms (picked earlier today).

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #784 on: August 20, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »
(Angus) Burger topped with Gruyère, caramelized onion and sautéed field mushrooms (picked earlier today).
Which kind of 'field mushrooms'? Some are great to eat, some will take you on a trip....(so I've heard :-D) and some will give you a trip to the hospital as there are toxic lookalikes. I'm sure YOU know but others may not. Many require spore prints or experience to pick with confidence. I am genuinely curious so if you have some pics I'd love to see them. Later this week I'm going looking for more Sulfur Shelf (Chicken mushroom), Maitake (Hen Of The Woods) and Oyster mushrooms.

jon

Mal

« Reply #785 on: August 20, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »
Which kind of 'field mushrooms'? Some are great to eat, some will take you on a trip....(so I've heard :-D) and some will give you a trip to the hospital as there are toxic lookalikes. I'm sure YOU know but others may not. Many require spore prints or experience to pick with confidence. I am genuinely curious so if you have some pics I'd love to see them. Later this week I'm going looking for more Sulfur Shelf (Chicken mushroom), Maitake (Hen Of The Woods) and Oyster mushrooms.

jon

Field mushroom (aka Meadow mushroom) specifically refers to Agaricus Campestris.  The most common toxic mix-up would be a Yellow Stainer (Agaricus Xanthodermus) which is pretty easy to ID just by scratching the base of the stalk and watching for a color change. Horse mushrooms also look similar but are totally edible and some consider to be even more delicious.

LOADS of sulfur shelf around at the moment in the UK. I've eaten my fill of them over the last week or so. Oysters still around although the main flush was a month or so back. Boletes (although not Ceps quite yet) are starting to come up in number also. A few russulas around as well. Also spotted a few beefsteak mushrooms although I've yet to be convinced of their culinary value.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #786 on: August 20, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »
Do you get the Hen of the Woods (Maitake Mushroom) over there?? Completely awesome and much more tender than it's cousin the Chicken Mushroom (sulfur shelf). Of course Morels in the spring, but others have a MUCH longer and more satisfying season and frankly MUCH better eating, which says a lot because I LOVE Morels too!!!

jon

Mal

« Reply #787 on: August 20, 2013, 08:58:28 PM »
I've personally only found Maitake stateside but I'm sure you can find plenty of them here esp places like the New Forest. I only pick Sulfur Shelfs if they're very young and tender with the lobes not yet  forming large "shelves" (liquid dripping from them when you cut).

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #788 on: August 20, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »
Pressed sandwich between 2 cast iron skillets. 1/2 of a french loaf, ham, pepperoni, green peppers, onions, homemade mozzarella, provolone, green olives, pickled jalapenos, cilantro, a bit of pizza seasoning, salt, fresh cracked black pepper, Aleppo chili flakes, de-seeded sliced tomatoes and some Dijon mustard to dip in. JUST PERFECT on a hot summer nite with a couple coldies!!!

jon

Offline redox

« Reply #789 on: August 21, 2013, 07:50:44 PM »
22 1/2 oz Ribeye from Costco. BS oven was about 875 ° bottom stone and 1050 ° upper stone. 90 seconds per side to amazing deliciousness. I really like Costco's Kirkland Steak Seasoning.
Best steak I've ever done at home. Btw, we split the steak, I did not eat it all myself!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #790 on: August 21, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »
Dayuum!  Ribeye looks killer.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline redox

« Reply #791 on: August 21, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Dayuum!  Ribeye looks killer.
So says my heart!  >:D

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #792 on: August 21, 2013, 09:33:32 PM »
On it, like someone said....'like a tic on a dog'!!!!! :drool:

jon

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #793 on: August 21, 2013, 09:46:48 PM »
Just New Haven peaches with nothing else.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #794 on: August 21, 2013, 09:52:01 PM »
Just finished, double cheese burgers, fried in a white hot cast iron skillet with lettuce, tomato, onions, cheese, mayo and just a bit of catchup and mustard, pickled japs on mine. Some Aleppo chilies found there way in there too. BIG ASS Sesame Kaiser rolls easily took 2 thin pressed 4 oz patties per burger. 3 burgers fed 4 of us with leftovers!!!! :drool:

jon

Offline Vanilla gorilla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #795 on: August 21, 2013, 11:09:30 PM »
Chicken Parm cooked in the Blackstone

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #796 on: August 21, 2013, 11:28:41 PM »
nice.......

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #797 on: August 22, 2013, 10:19:38 PM »
10 min. away from a Chi-town thin .....no stinking carbalous this time man; 100 proof flour, straight, no chaser.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Mal

« Reply #798 on: August 23, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
Rigatoni with beef ragu and sautéed wild mushrooms (today's selection: charcoal burner, scaly wood and field mushrooms)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #799 on: August 24, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
For breakfast
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan