Author Topic: What Are You Eating Right Now???  (Read 68525 times)

Offline redox

Re: What Are You Eating Right Now???
« Reply #880 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:54 PM »
Delicious and easy to make Chicken Salad sandwiches. Made from the last of a Costco rotisserie chicken.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #881 on: September 16, 2013, 12:35:56 PM »
Redox,

I see we share the Costco love.  You cannot beat their rotisserie chicken at 5 bucks! It's moist and flavorful.  I bet those sandwiches are awesome, sprinkle with a little Aleppo Chile and woo hoo your tummy is doing the happy dance!

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

Offline redox

« Reply #882 on: September 16, 2013, 01:21:50 PM »
Redox,

I see we share the Costco love.  You cannot beat their rotisserie chicken at 5 bucks! It's moist and flavorful.  I bet those sandwiches are awesome, sprinkle with a little Aleppo Chile and woo hoo your tummy is doing the happy dance!

Mary Ann
I was a bit late to the Costco fold, they were late coming to my town and when they did our idiot mayor screwed with their building plans so we got less of a store than we should have. But, in my limited experience with Costco (about a year) I see some quality problems and cheapening of products since their founder retired.
There's the "issue of tissue"  ;D the Kirkland toilet tissue is much lower in quality since it was recently changed.
I bought a Kirkland 5 qt. stainless steel everyday pan with a 5-layer bottom that is great. Food cooks evenly and doesn't stick if you know how to cook with stainless steel. It was made in Thailand, btw.
I was planning to buy the Kirkland cookware set but it looks like I waited too long because now the set is made in China instead of Thailand and the base of the cookware is only 3-layers and doesn't work as well. Check Costco's site for some user comments.
I sort of thought of the Costco idea was "we don't carry everything, of course, but what we do carry has been tested and verified to be the best available at the best possible price."
I would rather pay the increased cost of getting a superior product than have them keep the price constant by decreasing quality.
I still like Costco but I'm worried that they have lost some of their core values.
Have you noticed any of these issues?

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #883 on: September 16, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »
I noticed some issues, especially with tissues being a cheap quality.  Also, I bought a set of nonstick pots/pans there about 8 years ago and some of the nonstick is wearing off despite me using/cleaning them properly.

I think the quality of their food for the most part is good and the prices are great.  I bought a Margaritaville frozen drink maker there for about $170. Even with a Bed, Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon I think it was still cheaper than any other place I looked.  I guess it matters what you value most from a membership there.  For me it's mostly the food and household items like, aluminum foil, parchment paper, laundry detergent, etc.

You should check this item out the next time you are there.  It's great on steak and grilled chicken.  I bought it last year, so the packaging might be a little different.
Mary Ann

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #884 on: September 17, 2013, 06:49:43 AM »
Breakfast after a 3 mile run
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #885 on: September 17, 2013, 10:11:30 AM »

Johnny,

The crumb structure in that bread is not as open as your usual loaves? New flour?

And I would have thought you could do better with the eggs, boiled ham and cream cheese....c'mon man, you're not getting lazy on us are you? :-D :-D

Just kidding, hope you are enjoying your time in Rio.

John K

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #886 on: September 17, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »

I get super duper hungry after running as well, but sorry to say my breakfast was a giant mug of coffee and a banana :(  Hope your breakfast was yummy!
Mary Ann

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #887 on: September 17, 2013, 01:26:32 PM »
Lunch. So healthy I could punch myself.

Mal

« Reply #888 on: September 17, 2013, 07:03:04 PM »
Udon (atsu atsu) tonight using some non-trad ingredients:-

five spice beef meatballs (poached in broth)
baby bok choy
napa cabbage
broth ingredients: fresh [chili, lemon peel] charred [ginger, onion] dried [shiitake, porcini, shrimp, anchovy, star anise, sichuan peppercorns, chili and tangerine peel] seasonings [salt, pinch of muscovado sugar, tsp (light) soy]
garnish: red chili (mild), mint, thai basil
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:13:12 PM by Mal »

Offline redox

« Reply #889 on: September 17, 2013, 07:21:08 PM »
Wow, some of that stuff looks very tasty. On the other hand, here's my very basic but very tasty Loaded Baked Potato. Hey, someone has to hold up the caveman end of the food spectrum.  ;D

Offline redox

« Reply #890 on: September 19, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
More caveman food; Stove-top Salisbury Steaks. The weather got a bit warmer today so these don't heat up the kitchen like oven recipes do.
The best thing is using the leftover patties as hamburgers topped with olive oil and balsamic vinegar sauteed onions and A-1 Sauce. Delicious!

Offline redox

« Reply #891 on: September 20, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
More caveman food.
Ground Bologna. Homemade...well, not the Bologna but the grinding and adding other ingredients. I can't help it, I get an urge for this once in awhile, and it's very tasty, says my twelve-year-old-self.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #892 on: September 21, 2013, 11:58:35 AM »
Just got back from a Lebanese/Mexican Deli/grocery and filled up on raw kibbi rolled up in some WONDERFUL hand tossed flatbread and dipped in garlic sauce. Also got some spinach pies, lamb meat pies and the owner's (75yo) favorite chorizo mix that he's been making for almost 60 years. ANDDDD his homemade mole' sauce that is in his own words "unduplicatable" :-D Will give it a try. Got a bunch of guajillo peppers too.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #893 on: September 21, 2013, 12:35:47 PM »
Just got back from a Lebanese/Mexican Deli/grocery and filled up on raw kibbi rolled up in some WONDERFUL hand tossed flatbread and dipped in garlic sauce. Also got some spinach pies, lamb meat pies and the owner's (75yo) favorite chorizo mix that he's been making for almost 60 years. ANDDDD his homemade mole' sauce that is in his own words "unduplicatable" :-D Will give it a try. Got a bunch of guajillo peppers too.

jon
Sounds like a pretty serious score!  Save a spinach pie for me--I'll be right over. :-D

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #894 on: September 21, 2013, 07:41:29 PM »
Low carb snackin' : sausage and kraut

Homemade spicy pork fennel sausage browned on a cast iron skillet and sauerkraut.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline redox

« Reply #895 on: September 22, 2013, 07:14:47 PM »
Some Thai Chicken Fried Rice I made tonight. The sauce is simple and delicious, fish sauce, fresh lime juice, and Serrano chilies, but this time I tried it with Aleppo and of course, it was better!
Snapple Peach Iced Tea is perfect with this.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 07:20:55 PM by redox »

Mal

« Reply #896 on: September 23, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »
Not sure what I'm having tonight but it'll probably feature this little lot:-
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 03:36:24 PM by Mal »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #897 on: September 23, 2013, 04:19:41 PM »
Not sure what I'm having tonight but it'll probably feature this little lot:-

I am sooooooo jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool:
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #898 on: September 23, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
+1  :drool:
Mary Ann

Offline redox

« Reply #899 on: September 23, 2013, 06:45:30 PM »
I've never been too fond of the Chinese smack-you-in-the-face, sweet & sour sauce. I like the Thai version much better, it's much subtler. I didn't have Thai chilies so I used jalapeno and Aleppo. Very tasty.
We still have chicken so I'm still looking for ways to cook it.
But, Chicago Thin Crust Pizza tomorrow!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 07:09:30 PM by redox »