Author Topic: What Are You Eating Right Now???  (Read 80440 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: What Are You Eating Right Now???
« Reply #280 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:19 PM »
Chicken or pork cutlet, rice pilaf, carrots,  cheese (haverti) and olives???

jon

Jon,

You are right, it was chicken, rice with garlic, red and green peppers, carrots, Feta cheese and olives.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #281 on: March 22, 2013, 10:09:55 PM »
Chinese tonight.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #282 on: March 22, 2013, 10:19:59 PM »
Chinese tonight.

Norma
Did you make that Norma....which Chinese dish is that called?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: March 22, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Did you make that Norma....which Chinese dish is that called?

Bob,

Yes, I did make the sweet and sour pork.  The rice and veggies are made separately.  The pork is marinated in corn starch, water and soy sauce.  The pork is fried in the Wok.  After the pork, rice and veggies are done, a mixture of cornstarch, seasonings, catsup, sugar, cornstarch and water are poured over the pork, until that mixture gets thick.  Then the whole thing was stirred together.  Sometimes I just eat it over long grain white rice, but this time I just mixed it together.  Pineapples are stirred in too with the rice and veggies.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #284 on: March 22, 2013, 11:47:34 PM »
Bob,

Yes, I did make the sweet and sour pork.  The rice and veggies are made separately.  The pork is marinated in corn starch, water and soy sauce.  The pork is fried in the Wok.  After the pork, rice and veggies are done, a mixture of cornstarch, seasonings, catsup, sugar, cornstarch and water are poured over the pork, until that mixture gets thick.  Then the whole thing was stirred together.  Sometimes I just eat it over long grain white rice, but this time I just mixed it together.  Pineapples are stirred in too with the rice and veggies.

Norma
Looks absolutely delicious Norma...those whole little baby carrots in there are what made me think that you probably made that dish yourself. Don't usually see it prepared in such a good way at take-out places...and they sure don't give you as many pineapple chunks either...lucky if ya get any!   :-D

You are a good Chinese cook Norma....now I want some and it's too late.  >:(

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2013, 07:47:30 AM »
Looks absolutely delicious Norma...those whole little baby carrots in there are what made me think that you probably made that dish yourself. Don't usually see it prepared in such a good way at take-out places...and they sure don't give you as many pineapple chunks either...lucky if ya get any!   :-D

You are a good Chinese cook Norma....now I want some and it's too late.  >:(

Bob

Bob,

Thanks!  There were also green and red peppers in the sweet and sour pork, but they were really made fine with my garlic press.  My daughter doesnít like the taste of green and red peppers in any foods, but if I used the garlic press she doesnít even know they are in the sweet and sour pork.  >:D I put the green and red peppers in with the rice when it steams. 

I had plenty of leftovers.  Some will go to my mother today.

Norma

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2013, 11:34:37 AM »
My daughter doesnít like the taste of green and red peppers in any foods, but if I used the garlic press she doesnít even know they are in the sweet and sour pork.  >:D

LOL...My father-in-law (lives with us) hates onions...At least he thinks he does. My wife, kids, and I all like onions, so we usually have to chop them up real small so he doesn't even notice them. I don't think it's that he doesn't like the taste of them, but more of a psychological thing. I made a batch of chili last week that I put more onion in than I normally do, and my father-in-law commented on how it was the best chili that I've ever made. :-D Had he known how much onion that I put in it, he probably wouldn't even have ate it.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
LOL...My father-in-law (lives with us) hates onions...At least he thinks he does. My wife, kids, and I all like onions, so we usually have to chop them up real small so he doesn't even notice them. I don't think it's that he doesn't like the taste of them, but more of a psychological thing. I made a batch of chili last week that I put more onion in than I normally do, and my father-in-law commented on how it was the best chili that I've ever made. :-D Had he known how much onion that I put in it, he probably wouldn't even have ate it.

My best friend hates green pepper. But, like your father-in-law, I mince them up and put them in my sauce and he never notices/complains.  >:D
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2013, 03:00:58 PM »

My best friend hates green pepper. But, like your father-in-law, I mince them up and put them in my sauce and he never notices/complains.  >:D

Don and Steve,

My granddaughter used to hate onions in everything and I also minced them real fine.  She didn't even know the difference either.  >:D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #289 on: March 24, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
More Chinese tonight.

Norma

Offline dineomite

« Reply #290 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
Kiawe smoked baby backs, baked beans, basil dill cole slaw, and hushpuppies. :chef:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #291 on: March 24, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »
More Chinese tonight.

Norma
Fried rice Norma? Dang!!  :drool:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: March 25, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »
Fried rice Norma? Dang!!  :drool:

Bob,

The rice wasnít really fried like fried rice, but was put in a pan after the rice was steamed.  The rice just stayed in there with a little oil and was mixed a little until the eggs were done and the bean sprouts, veggies and chicken were added.  I had gotten some bean sprouts at the one Asian supermarket in Lancaster Saturday.  The Asian supermarket has so many things I am not familiar with.  I think today I am going to try to make eggs rolls.  I never made them before, but do like them.  An Asian lady at the supermarket helped me to get the ingredients I needed, but sure donít know how the eggs rolls will turn out.  :-D

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #293 on: March 25, 2013, 02:04:02 PM »
Bob,

The rice wasnít really fried like fried rice, but was put in a pan after the rice was steamed.  The rice just stayed in there with a little oil and was mixed a little until the eggs were done and the bean sprouts, veggies and chicken were added.  I had gotten some bean sprouts at the one Asian supermarket in Lancaster Saturday.  The Asian supermarket has so many things I am not familiar with.  I think today I am going to try to make eggs rolls.  I never made them before, but do like them.  An Asian lady at the supermarket helped me to get the ingredients I needed, but sure donít know how the eggs rolls will turn out.  :-D

Norma
They are easy and fun to make Norma...freeze well too so make a big batch!  :chef:
I love the bean sprouts. Most take out places won't use them because they rot fast. My Chinese distributor lady sells a huge bag for a buck and her's stay good in my fridge for about 2 weeks...sells a big 'ol bag of snow pea's for 2 dollars also. I love my Chinese distributor lady....but she is mean though Norma!  >:(  I'm not kidding...it's really kinda funny cause everyone knows she's mean.  ;D
Enjoy your egg rolls...do you have a favorite dipping sauce for them?

Bob

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #294 on: March 25, 2013, 02:56:14 PM »
I've made 100's of egg rolls and sambusa's. To make the rolling WAY easier use a spray bottle of water to moisten the edges. Start by spraying the whole top surface lightly, put about an ice cream scoop of filling in the first 1.3 and as you roll and fold a little spritz on any dry edges will seal it all up tight. Much easier than the brushing on of flour/water, cornstarch/water, egg wash messes. And as Bob said, freeze well but fry first. I've had issues with the egg roll breaking down and cracking if froze raw.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: March 25, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »
They are easy and fun to make Norma...freeze well too so make a big batch!  :chef:
I love the bean sprouts. Most take out places won't use them because they rot fast. My Chinese distributor lady sells a huge bag for a buck and her's stay good in my fridge for about 2 weeks...sells a big 'ol bag of snow pea's for 2 dollars also. I love my Chinese distributor lady....but she is mean though Norma!  >:(  I'm not kidding...it's really kinda funny cause everyone knows she's mean.  ;D
Enjoy your egg rolls...do you have a favorite dipping sauce for them?

Bob

Bob,

I donít know if I will have an easy time making egg rolls, but glad to hear you think they are easy.  I have rice papers wrappers, so donít know if you use them or not.  The Asian supermarket sells the bean sprouts for 1.29 for a big bag.  How to you know when they turn bad?  I used to have a friend years ago that her friend used to raise bean sprouts and she made good money doing that, until something happened with her bean sprouts and made someone sick.  That is why I am wondering how long the bean sprouts will last.  I usually purchase eggs rolls at market, but donít even know how they are made.  I donít dip in anything, but what would you advise.  I have a big bottle of Fish Sauce at home with Anchovy.  Is that anything to dip egg rolls in, or do I add stuff?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: March 25, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »
I've made 100's of egg rolls and sambusa's. To make the rolling WAY easier use a spray bottle of water to moisten the edges. Start by spraying the whole top surface lightly, put about an ice cream scoop of filling in the first 1.3 and as you roll and fold a little spritz on any dry edges will seal it all up tight. Much easier than the brushing on of flour/water, cornstarch/water, egg wash messes. And as Bob said, freeze well but fry first. I've had issues with the egg roll breaking down and cracking if froze raw.

jon

Jon,

Good to hear you made 100ís of egg rolls.  What are sambusaís?  Thanks for telling me how to make the rolling easier.  What kind of oil do you fry your eggs rolls in?  I am not experienced in doing any of this stuff, so I appreciate any tips.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #297 on: March 25, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »
Bob,

I donít know if I will have an easy time making egg rolls, but glad to hear you think they are easy.  I have rice papers wrappers, so donít know if you use them or not.  The Asian supermarket sells the bean sprouts for 1.29 for a big bag.  How to you know when they turn bad?  I used to have a friend years ago that her friend used to raise bean sprouts and she made good money doing that, until something happened with her bean sprouts and made someone sick.  That is why I am wondering how long the bean sprouts will last.  I usually purchase eggs rolls at market, but donít even know how they are made.  I donít dip in anything, but what would you advise.  I have a big bottle of Fish Sauce at home with Anchovy.  Is that anything to dip egg rolls in, or do I add stuff?

Norma
I think the rice paper wrappers are for Spring rolls Norma...I really would suggest getting the regular old wonton/egg roll wrappers. I like the nice thicker crispy wrappers for good old egg rolls.
Here is a super easy recipe...it even uses a bag of slaw mix in case you don't want to grate a cabbage, plus it will have some grated carrot in there too then which is nice.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/egg-rolls

Fish oil is some strong salty stuff and goes a looong way...you can mix that with some teriyaki or soy sauce, a bit of brown sugar and some minced garlic,onion,perhaps a bt of ginger if you like...I like rice wine vinegar in there too..just play around and you will have a nice dipping sauce. My favorite way is to just slice roll lengthwise, open it up and dash with soy, a shmear of hot mustard and a drizzle of jarred duck/sweet&sour sauce...puuurfect!  :)

Here are the wrappers I use...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nasoya-Egg-Roll-Wraps-16-oz/10898814

When sprouts go bad you will know it Norma...they leach out their water into the bag and start to turn brown and mushy. That great bright white "snap" to them fades fast....so you want to avoid buying ones that have the little leaf or the ends turning brown...the rest of it won't be far behind from turning to mush.  ;)   I love them especially in fried rice dishes!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: March 25, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
I think the rice paper wrappers are for Spring rolls Norma...I really would suggest getting the regular old wonton/egg roll wrappers. I like the nice thicker crispy wrappers for good old egg rolls.
Here is a super easy recipe...it even uses a bag of slaw mix in case you don't want to grate a cabbage, plus it will have some grated carrot in there too then which is nice.  http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/egg-rolls

Fish oil is some strong salty stuff and goes a looong way...you can mix that with some teriyaki or soy sauce, a bit of brown sugar and some minced garlic,onion,perhaps a bt of ginger if you like...I like rice wine vinegar in there too..just play around and you will have a nice dipping sauce. My favorite way is to just slice roll lengthwise, open it up and dash with soy, a shmear of hot mustard and a drizzle of jarred duck/sweet&sour sauce...puuurfect!  :)

Here are the wrappers I use...http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nasoya-Egg-Roll-Wraps-16-oz/10898814

When sprouts go bad you will know it Norma...they leach out their water into the bag and start to turn brown and mushy. That great bright white "snap" to them fades fast....so you want to avoid buying ones that have the little leaf or the ends turning brown...the rest of it won't be far behind from turning to mush.  ;)   I love them especially in fried rice dishes!

Bob,

These are the only ingredients the Vietnamese lady showed me that she uses to make eggs rolls.  Since that is all of have now, I will give the ingredients a shot.  I am only going to try half of the ingredients though. 

Thanks for your recipe you use for eggs rolls.  I will try that some time in the future.  Thanks for also telling me about the dipping sauce. 

I appreciate you telling me how I will know when the bean sprouts are no longer good.  The only bean sprouts I tried before were ones in a can.  I never did like them.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #299 on: March 25, 2013, 07:22:17 PM »
Bob,

These are the only ingredients the Vietnamese lady showed me that she uses to make eggs rolls.  Since that is all of have now, I will give the ingredients a shot.  I am only going to try half of the ingredients though. 

Thanks for your recipe you use for eggs rolls.  I will try that some time in the future.  Thanks for also telling me about the dipping sauce. 

I appreciate you telling me how I will know when the bean sprouts are no longer good.  The only bean sprouts I tried before were ones in a can.  I never did like them.

Norma
Yes, canned sprouts are horrible.

Is that a big 'ol mushroom in the center of your ingredient pic Norma? That lady did you right..I now see that she is Vietnamese...they do rolls a little different than Chinese. You do have Spring roll wrappers and they are becoming more popular than regular egg rolls now a days with the healthier eating crowd. They are great. Try wrapping just a shrimp in one of those wrappers Norma...they call that Firecracker shrimp...awesome.  :drool:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nasoya-Egg-Roll-Wraps-16-oz/10898814

pizzapan