Author Topic: What Are You Eating Right Now???  (Read 66004 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: What Are You Eating Right Now???
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »
Yes, canned sprouts are horrible.

Is that a big 'ol mushroom in the center of your ingredient pic Norma? That lady did you right..I now see that she is Vietnamese...they do rolls a little different than Chinese. You do have Spring roll wrappers and they are becoming more popular than regular egg rolls now a days with the healthier eating crowd. They are great. Try wrapping just a shrimp in one of those wrappers Norma...they call that Firecracker shrimp...awesome.  :drool:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nasoya-Egg-Roll-Wraps-16-oz/10898814

Bob,

I donít know what that thing is in the photo.  Maybe another member might know what it is called.  She told me to get that, or showed me something else to try.  The other thing looked like a root.  I donít have any shrimp right now, but if these eggs rolls turn out okay I might purchase some shrimp.  I just grated the whatever it is with my Mandolin.  If these donít turn out okay I will try something else.  :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #301 on: March 25, 2013, 08:11:33 PM »
Oh, Ok...some kind of root veggie that replaces the cabbage in a Chinese style roll...that oughta be good Norma...don't worry.  ;D   Yeah, grate, shred that wierd looking thing up just as if it was cabbage...these babies are gonna be gooood Norma!  :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #302 on: March 25, 2013, 08:42:55 PM »
It's been ages since I made egg rolls, but when I did, I threw in some watercress and it was  :drool:
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Mal

« Reply #303 on: March 25, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
Pork liver with preserved and napa cabbage
"Fish fragrant" eggplant
Rice

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #304 on: March 25, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
AWESOME, I can't find good pork liver ANYWHERE anymore!! >:( :drool:
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #305 on: March 25, 2013, 09:23:27 PM »
Dark chocolate ice cream topped with sea salt and hot honey.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: March 25, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »
Oh, Ok...some kind of root veggie that replaces the cabbage in a Chinese style roll...that oughta be good Norma...don't worry.  ;D   Yeah, grate, shred that wierd looking thing up just as if it was cabbage...these babies are gonna be gooood Norma!  :drool:

Bob,

Well, the spring rolls were made.  They were okay, but the only thing I had to fry them in was shortening, besides corn oil.  I sure donít know how corn oil fries, so I used the shortening.  I will get some Canola oil for my next attempt.  The ingredients were just mixed-up then the spring rolls were soaked in water (one at a time) until I put the filling in.  The spring rolls were fried over medium heat and they took awhile to fry.  The spring eggs rolls were too greasy, but I will make another attempt after I learn more about making spring rolls.  I guess learning how to make something new is like learning to make pizza.  It takes some time to learn.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #307 on: March 25, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »
Well...at least you gave it the old college try Norma.  :chef:
I don't know how they could ever fry up rolls with rice paper that has to be soaked in water...sounds too difficult to me.
That link of the regular egg roll wrappers I gave...they also make the same thing except made even thinner. Those are spring roll wrappers. These wrappers are made from wheat flour(and egg,hence egg roll) and not rice flour. try regular next time. ;)

For deep frying I use the cheapest stuff just like the take out joints use...soybean oil.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:47:06 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53:43 PM »
Well...at least you gave it the old college try Norma.  :chef:
I don't know how they could ever fry up rolls with rice paper that has to be soaked in water...sounds too difficult to me.
That link of the regular egg roll wrappers I gave...they also make the same thing except made even thinner. Those are spring roll wrappers. These wrappers are made from wheat flour(and egg,hence egg roll) and not rice flour. try regular next time. ;)

For deep frying I use the cheapest stuff just like the take out joints use...soybean oil.

Bob,

Yep, I gave it a try.  It really wasn't difficult to fry those rice papers that were soaked in water.  They just became soft when soaked in water.  I still have a lot of those rice papers, but will try some of those you posted about made with wheat sometime. 

I have to look on the web more to see how spring rolls are actually made.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #309 on: March 25, 2013, 10:05:13 PM »
What Bob said Norma, egg roll wrappers will make you happier! And Sambusa's/Samosa'sare a deep fried wrap using the same egg roll wrappers using a Nigerian, Samali, Egyptian, Indian, MiddleEastern filling of browned ground or lamb, onions, peass, carrots and cumin, curry, garlic....you get the drift. There are hundreds of ways to fill them as there are for egg rolls. The wrappers are always in the fresh produce aisle right next to the wonton wrappers, same wrap just cut different.

jon

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #310 on: March 25, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »

I have to look on the web more to see how spring rolls are actually made.

Norma
http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2010/10/homemade-wonton-and-egg-roll-wrappers.html

"This same dough is used to make boiled wontons, fried wontons, egg-roll wrappers, spring roll wrappers, Chinese noodles and egg noodles, depending on the size you cut them and how you cook them."

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2013, 10:17:42 PM »
What Bob said Norma, egg roll wrappers will make you happier! And Sambusa's/Samosa'sare a deep fried wrap using the same egg roll wrappers using a Nigerian, Samali, Egyptian, Indian, MiddleEastern filling of browned ground or lamb, onions, peass, carrots and cumin, curry, garlic....you get the drift. There are hundreds of ways to fill them as there are for egg rolls. The wrappers are always in the fresh produce aisle right next to the wonton wrappers, same wrap just cut different.

jon

Jon,

Thanks for also telling me egg roll wrappers will make me happier.  Thanks also for telling what Sambusa's/Samosa's are.

Norma

http://www.pennilessparenting.com/2010/10/homemade-wonton-and-egg-roll-wrappers.html

"This same dough is used to make boiled wontons, fried wontons, egg-roll wrappers, spring roll wrappers, Chinese noodles and egg noodles, depending on the size you cut them and how you cook them."

Thanks Bob, I will get the drift of this.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 10:22:44 PM by norma427 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #312 on: March 25, 2013, 10:19:56 PM »

AH, gotcha on that one Bob. Spring roll wrappers are different and for my tastes, fresh, cold and un-fried with a nice Asian dipping sauce using TOP end fish sauce and other usual suspects. They don't lend well to frying for me.

jon

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #313 on: March 25, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »
AH, gotcha on that one Bob. Spring roll wrappers are different and for my tastes, fresh, cold and un-fried with a nice Asian dipping sauce using TOP end fish sauce and other usual suspects. They don't lend well to frying for me.

jon
Exactly, cold variety is Vietnamese and they use the rice wrappers that Norma has...I wondered what the heck she was frying them for... ;D

That last link of mine was for Chinese... ;)

http://www.food.com/recipe/goi-cuon-vietnamese-cold-spring-rolls-20445

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #314 on: March 25, 2013, 11:43:23 PM »
There is a fried version too but I think the un-fried are more common and better eating, for me anyway. Now using egg roll wrappers, I love them fried, poached or as used in the dim sum fried/poached dumplings

Here's a fried spring roll using the rice noodle wraps
Fried Spring Rolls
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 11:46:03 PM by Jackitup »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2013, 11:50:00 PM »
Loves me some potstickers.  :drool:

Mal

« Reply #316 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01:57 AM »
Loves me some potstickers.  :drool:

Me too :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:04:45 AM by Mal »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #317 on: March 26, 2013, 12:10:46 AM »
If those are your own hand made, I am officially jealous, because I can crimp up some decent ones but those......are perfect!! :chef: ^^^ :drool:

jon

Mal

« Reply #318 on: March 26, 2013, 12:16:41 AM »
If those are your own hand made, I am officially jealous, because I can crimp up some decent ones but those......are perfect!! :chef: ^^^ :drool:

jon
:) thanks.  I did indeed make them. I just wish I could crimp a little faster. Too long to make compared with how quick they were to eat  :-D

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #319 on: March 26, 2013, 01:05:58 AM »
If the filling and texture is even 1/2 as good as it looks I would never change a thing!!!

jon