Author Topic: What Are You Eating Right Now???  (Read 68378 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: What Are You Eating Right Now???
« Reply #320 on: March 26, 2013, 01:32:26 AM »
:) thanks.  I did indeed make them. I just wish I could crimp a little faster. Too long to make compared with how quick they were to eat  :-D

And ain't that true with everything!! And never as healthy as one would wish either :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
Food today was from the Greek stand at market.  I really like the Winter Greek salad, but never tried to make it.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »
Do you know what's in the salad Norma? It sounds good.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2013, 09:18:28 PM »
Food today was from the Greek stand at market.  I really like the Winter Greek salad, but never tried to make it.

Norma

Are those stuffed grape leaves Norma? There's something that I could never get used to. Maybe they weren't prepared well or something, but I had them once and I thought they were awful.  :-X
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »
Are those stuffed grape leaves Norma? There's something that I could never get used to. Maybe they weren't prepared well or something, but I had them once and I thought they were awful.  :-X

I love them.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2013, 09:49:47 PM »
I love them.

Are they supposed to be super bitter and have an aftertaste like hair spray?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2013, 09:56:27 PM »
That depends on which Greek granmomma is making them... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2013, 11:36:06 PM »
Do you know what's in the salad Norma? It sounds good.

Jeff,

I am not certain how the Greek stand at market makes their Winter Greek salad, but this is one link about Winter Greek salad.

http://www.olivetomato.com/tag/greek-winter-salad/

I have a little left over in the fridge and will look it over better tomorrow.  I think the taste of every thing mixed together is really good and the dressing has a little vinegar or lemon taste, but it is subtle. 

I usually just purchase it at market, but also would like to know how it is made.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2013, 11:40:55 PM »

Don,

Yes, they were grapes leaves.  I do make them sometimes, but since I don't cook for a lot of people anymore, usually just purchase the grape leaves at market.  I think I posted about making grapes leaves somewhere here on the forum before.  I love grapes leaves. 

Maybe the grapes leaves you tried weren't prepared right. 

They aren't bitter at all and sure don't leave an aftertaste like hair spray.   :-D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #330 on: March 27, 2013, 11:47:21 PM »
That depends on which Greek granmomma is making them... ;)
Don,

Yes, they were grapes leaves.  I do make them sometimes, but since I don't cook for a lot of people anymore, usually just purchase the grape leaves at market.  I think I posted about making grapes leaves somewhere here on the forum before.  I love grapes leaves. 

Maybe the grapes leaves you tried weren't prepared right. 

They aren't bitter at all and sure don't leave an aftertaste like hair spray.   :-D

Norma

I must have just had a bad batch of them or something. Nobody at our table liked them, It was at a fairly popular Greek restaurant. Their baklava made up for it though...it was out of this world good. I'll have to give the grape leaves another try sometime.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2013, 11:47:47 PM »
Don,

This is where I posted about making the grapes leaves.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10655.msg94689.html#msg94689  I tasted different stuffed grape leaves made by many Greek cooks and am sure different people make them differently.

Norma

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2013, 11:48:44 PM »
Don,

This is where I posted about making the grapes leaves.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10655.msg94689.html#msg94689  I tasted different stuffed grape leaves made by many Greek cooks and am sure different people make them differently.

Norma

Thanks Norma!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2013, 11:53:07 PM »
I must have just had a bad batch of them or something. Nobody at our table liked them, It was at a fairly popular Greek restaurant. Their baklava made up for it though...it was out of this world good. I'll have to give the grape leaves another try sometime.

Don,

Although different people like different foods, maybe the grapes leaves weren't prepared right.  I also love Bakava and almost all Greek foods.  My first marriage was to a man that was Greek, so I learned some about Greek food, although I still have a lot to learn.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #334 on: March 28, 2013, 03:05:50 AM »
A nurse I used to work with back in the 90's when I did adult care, was married to a Greek/Iraqi/Turkish blended hybrid and she made TONS of stuffed grapes leaves every week for her family (and me too!!). They were stuffed with basmati rice, lamb, onions, cinnamon/cardamom/pepper,s&p, pine nuts/currants sometimes a little curry......many fine goodies and layered in a big pan and slow poached in a mild, wonderful tomato sauce. A big squeeze of lemon on the plate and eat myself to sleep :drool: :drool:

jon

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2013, 08:54:55 AM »
A nurse I used to work with back in the 90's when I did adult care, was married to a Greek/Iraqi/Turkish blended hybrid and she made TONS of stuffed grapes leaves every week for her family (and me too!!). They were stuffed with basmati rice, lamb, onions, cinnamon/cardamom/pepper,s&p, pine nuts/currants sometimes a little curry......many fine goodies and layered in a big pan and slow poached in a mild, wonderful tomato sauce. A big squeeze of lemon on the plate and eat myself to sleep :drool: :drool:

jon

Jon,

Those stuffed grapes leaves sounds wonderful!  :drool:

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #336 on: March 28, 2013, 08:56:35 AM »
Jeff or anyone else that is interested,

I took the rest of the container out of the fridge of winter Greek salad and tasted it this morning.  The photo is below.  All the ingredients are raw from what I can taste there is more cabbage, maybe a tiny bit of onions, a little bit of cucumbers, red peppers, carrots, a little cauliflower, fresh parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, or maybe some kind of vinaigrette, maybe coarse salt and maybe a tiny bit of oregano.  The taste of the dressing is really good though and not a lot is applied.  Maybe if no one ever tried this out (which I didnít either) if you look up Lahanosalata on the web, there are other ideas for dressings and other versions of Lahanosalata. In my opinion the winter Greek salad leaves a really fresh taste when eaten.

If anyone comes up with a decent version of the winter Greek salad let me know too.

I can imagine the winter Greek salad would be healthy because all of the veggies are fresh. 

Norma

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #337 on: March 28, 2013, 10:12:07 AM »
Thanks Norma, I had never heard of Greek winter salad. I'll have to make it sometime.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #338 on: March 31, 2013, 04:02:24 AM »
A bed of sugar snap peas with a swai fillet pan fried in olive oil on top, pan deglazed with a little onion, wild mushrooms, wine and some crushed SI tomatoes with bit of fresh basil and sprinkling of fresh grated parmesan over the whole thing....VERY good and actually healthy for a change! A little pasta would have really been good with it but I resisted.

jon

Online Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2013, 06:30:48 AM »
'and actually healthy for a change'!  Knowing your cooking that's an understatment... :-D
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.