Author Topic: What Are You Eating Right Now???  (Read 66883 times)

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
Re: What Are You Eating Right Now???
« Reply #960 on: October 10, 2013, 08:38:58 AM »
That looks like some good eats pz!
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #961 on: October 10, 2013, 11:30:27 AM »
One of those days. Fast food at the firm
Il miglior fabbro

Offline dhorst

« Reply #962 on: October 10, 2013, 08:16:38 PM »
Southwest Chicken Stew with Smashed Potatoes and Cheesy Biscuits

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #963 on: October 10, 2013, 10:14:26 PM »
Southwest Chicken Stew with Smashed Potatoes and Cheesy Biscuits

I could go for any of those three items! 

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #964 on: October 10, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
Thanks chasenpse  ;)

@Johnny the Gent and dhorst - food looks great!

The last few shreds of packer brisket we did last weekend... I know... hash browns, chopped brisket, onions fried crisp, and topped with a runny yolk fried egg
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #965 on: October 11, 2013, 07:24:56 AM »

The last few shreds of packer brisket we did last weekend... I know... hash browns, chopped brisket, onions fried crisp, and topped with a runny yolk fried egg

That made me hungry! The hash looks perfectly crisp on the outside. Please share how you do it- I'd like to try that this weekend.  ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #966 on: October 11, 2013, 08:57:59 AM »
That made me hungry! The hash looks perfectly crisp on the outside. Please share how you do it- I'd like to try that this weekend.  ;)

I second this request. Do you drain the excess water out of your potatoes before cooking them?
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #967 on: October 11, 2013, 09:49:34 AM »
I second this request. Do you drain the excess water out of your potatoes before cooking them?

Hmm, grate potatoes, sprinkle with salt, let em sweat, pat out the excess moisture? Butter or oil?
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #968 on: October 11, 2013, 09:51:59 AM »
To my eye, the potatoes in finished form look more like latkes.

Peter

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #969 on: October 11, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »
Made some key lime ice cream last night, turned out pretty darn good for my first time cooking with oils.

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #970 on: October 11, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »
I hardly eat sweets these days, but I must admit that I still enjoy ice creams with citrus - the fresh acid is a great palate cleanser

I've tried to do hash browns ever since I was a kid in my first apartment, and experimented with just about everything imaginable.  These are a simple, but deliciously crisp shortcut.  Our local Costco carries what looks like gallon containers of dried shredded potatoes - I've also seen smaller packages in the grocery chains.  Here's the simple process for a griddle full of potatoes (enough for four):
  • 2 cups of the dried potato shreds in a bowl, add a tablespoon of salt, and cover with tap water (1/2 inch above the level of the potatoes)
  • Microwave for one minute, then let rest in the warmed water for the next 15-20 minutes (until the potato shreds are all rehydrated)
  • Dump the potatoes into a colander and let thoroughly drain - although you can then put on paper towels to remove more moisture, I've found it is not necessary)
  • Add anything you like in your hash browns (I like corned beef, home smoked pastrami, onions)
  • Here's the most important part for crisp brown crust and fluffy tender interior - use cast iron to cook - nothing browns like cast iron.  Although nonstick will work, it just doesn't turn out as crispy.
  • When I form the patties on the griddle, I'll drizzle olive oil around the edges of each so the oil wicks beneath - a little goes a long way, but this is probably the part that takes the most practice.
  • Fry until you can push each potato patty around without it breaking apart.

I've done similar with fresh potatoes, but they need to be soaked to remove starch, which tends to burn rather than brown - because the dried potatoes are so easy, and end up being more crispy and tasty, I prefer those.  They are great on camping and RV trips.

Online Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #971 on: October 11, 2013, 02:19:07 PM »
I hardly eat sweets these days, but I must admit that I still enjoy ice creams with citrus - the fresh acid is a great palate cleanser

I've tried to do hash browns ever since I was a kid in my first apartment, and experimented with just about everything imaginable.  These are a simple, but deliciously crisp shortcut.  Our local Costco carries what looks like gallon containers of dried shredded potatoes - I've also seen smaller packages in the grocery chains.  Here's the simple process for a griddle full of potatoes (enough for four):
  • 2 cups of the dried potato shreds in a bowl, add a tablespoon of salt, and cover with tap water (1/2 inch above the level of the potatoes)
  • Microwave for one minute, then let rest in the warmed water for the next 15-20 minutes (until the potato shreds are all rehydrated)
  • Dump the potatoes into a colander and let thoroughly drain - although you can then put on paper towels to remove more moisture, I've found it is not necessary)
  • Add anything you like in your hash browns (I like corned beef, home smoked pastrami, onions)
  • Here's the most important part for crisp brown crust and fluffy tender interior - use cast iron to cook - nothing browns like cast iron.  Although nonstick will work, it just doesn't turn out as crispy.
  • When I form the patties on the griddle, I'll drizzle olive oil around the edges of each so the oil wicks beneath - a little goes a long way, but this is probably the part that takes the most practice.
  • Fry until you can push each potato patty around without it breaking apart.

I've done similar with fresh potatoes, but they need to be soaked to remove starch, which tends to burn rather than brown - because the dried potatoes are so easy, and end up being more crispy and tasty, I prefer those.  They are great on camping and RV trips.

Thank you for the detailed writeup! Excellent!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #972 on: October 11, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »
My pleasure; remembering and writing the stories about food is almost as good as eating....  well... maybe not  ;D

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #973 on: October 16, 2013, 03:01:27 PM »
Sourdough white whole wheat waffles with guava syrup.  Fried red potatoes and tofu on the side.
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #974 on: October 16, 2013, 03:16:50 PM »
Gawrsh! I think I have a tummy ache
Mary Ann

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #975 on: October 18, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
Had to have two of these babies - ground the burger using pork loin, bacon for fat and flavor, and petit sirloin - added fresh sage leaves, salt, and pepper to the meat while it was ground.  Seared on cast iron then topped with the works

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #976 on: October 18, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
Had to have two of these babies - ground the burger using pork loin, bacon for fat and flavor, and petit sirloin - added fresh sage leaves, salt, and pepper to the meat while it was ground.  Seared on cast iron then topped with the works

If it weren't for all that commercial development and the traffic in the background that picture would be perfect! So jealous.

John K :'(

Offline chasenpse

• Supporting Member
    • Battle Hill Media
« Reply #977 on: October 18, 2013, 02:53:27 PM »

I don't see any burgers here. Did you commission Bob Ross to paint your backyard full of happy trees? Jeez!

:P

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #978 on: October 18, 2013, 03:02:08 PM »
+1 Haaaaaaaaappy little trees  :angel:
Mary Ann

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #979 on: October 18, 2013, 10:32:12 PM »
One of those days. Fast food at the firm

Tongue in cheek duly noted, sir! :-D