Author Topic: What Are You Eating Right Now???  (Read 85158 times)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: What Are You Eating Right Now???
« Reply #980 on: October 18, 2013, 11:03:54 PM »
Buckwheat soba noodles with smoked tofu and tsukudani. Kai choi kimchee and umeboshi plum on the side.

Boy does that look good!  Is that Hawaiian or Japanese, or Korean or all three, or what? 

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #981 on: October 18, 2013, 11:18:44 PM »
Smoked salmon, thinly sliced onions, cream cheese, and capers - this is traditionally placed atop a bagel, but I skipped the bread part  :P

Simply picked up the salmon with the toppings like a little taco
My online cookbook: good food & friends

Offline dhorst

« Reply #982 on: October 19, 2013, 08:58:43 PM »
Chicken Yakitori for the 37 Cooks Spice House Challenge. Japanese 7 spice blend and green mango powder were involved. Oh, and of course Aleppo!

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #983 on: October 20, 2013, 12:32:13 AM »
Chicken Yakitori for the 37 Cooks Spice House Challenge. Japanese 7 spice blend and green mango powder were involved. Oh, and of course Aleppo!

Care to divulge any details about those yakitoris? Since it sounds like there's a contest involved I understand if there's a need for secrecy! :chef:

But boy, they look GREAT!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline dhorst

« Reply #984 on: October 20, 2013, 09:55:23 AM »
Care to divulge any details about those yakitoris? Since it sounds like there's a contest involved I understand if there's a need for secrecy! :chef:

But boy, they look GREAT!

John K
No contest, just a sponsored challenge.  I belong to a blog called 37 Cooks.  We came together on the Face Book Serious Eats Water Cooler group.  Sandra, our very organized and enthusiastic leader, happened to have two gallons of Slap Yo Mama seasoning and put it out to anyone on the Cooler, that she'd be happy to share.  37 of us responded and shared our dishes.  From there, we decided it would be fun to challenge and support each other in cooking challenges--a ton of fun and cooking escapades. 

Somehow, it evolved and through different members and followers of the blog, we also ended up having companies sending us samples of their products to play around with.  This was totally unexpected for most of us, and we were all delighted by these opportunities to experiment with some really great products at no cost to us--just our time in the kitchen having a boat load of fun.

Not every challenge is a sponsored challenge.  We just like to have fun cooking.  I must say, though, one of my favorites was the Teet's Smokehouse Challenge.  TXCraig1 has said that they have some of the finest smoked sausage he's had--and ya know he has a palate from hell.

The current challenge, which is what the chicken yakitori dish is from, evolved from The Spice House Challenge.  This challenge won't be on the blog until January.  Currently I believe we have Davidson's Safest Eggs challenge on plate and then there will probably be a hiatus for the holidays.  I must say I admire the people that manage the 37 of us and get our recipes and photos posted.

The Spice House Challenge is very near to my heart because I actually contacted them and asked them if they'd like to sponsor us.  They are my Aleppo Chile supplier, along with many other very fresh and vibrant seasonings.  So, they decided to sponsor us, to my delight.  They have been very generous and gave us 5 full sized seasonings of our each and everyone's choice to play with.

I wanted to play with some of their new things and some stuff I haven't ever heard of.  Amchoor, which is a powdered green mango powder has a sweet tart flavor which I thought would be interesting in the marinade I made with the Japanese Seven Spice for the marinade for the chicken that included honey, mirin. soy sauce, ginger, garlic, amchoor, sesame oil and Aleppo Chile. 

Quick marinade--30 minutes at the max, which gave me time to make some rice for the carb heavy guys, before grilling the chicken.  Some lettuce and marinated vegetables topped it off.  I didn't go for the rice.   I wasn't hungry enough.  Next time I will make extra so I can have them in a rice flour roll.

Yep, I've been out of the loop--have not been feeling well, but I am now, so I'm chatty.  Here I am!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:02:44 AM by dhorst »

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #985 on: October 20, 2013, 04:49:23 PM »
Boy does that look good!  Is that Hawaiian or Japanese, or Korean or all three, or what?

Hawaii is such a jumble of cultures, it just becomes "local style"
Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #986 on: October 20, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »
An open face pork sandwich with mashed potatoes. leftover pork loin chops from last nite, sliced thin and layed over mashed and a slice of bread and some green beans. Sliced pork was tossed with a creamy Pinot sauce made tonite using some evaporated milk to give it that creamy edge that was almost like a stroganoff. The dried porcinni mushrooms I used in the sauce was the REAL star that stood out using the water they were rehydrated in too. Really almost better than last nite fresh off the grill!!! A little fresh fine grated parm to finish

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #987 on: October 20, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »
Food looks great, gents, and the challenge sounds like fun  ;)

Not exactly right at the moment, but this morning - Sunday is when we enjoy spending time out back with a bottle of sparkling wine (this one a Spanish Cava into which we splash pomegranate juice.  The breakfast is spicy black beans, and tomatoes topped with a runny yolk egg.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #988 on: October 21, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »
With a view like that every day I would be happy with a pile of dirt plated up....beautiful!!!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #989 on: October 21, 2013, 07:36:48 PM »
Just finished a dozen crab and goat cheese ravioli with tarragon cream sauce...

Everything made fresh... homemade pasta sheets, fresh crab, fresh chevre cheese, a little lemon rind in the filing... sauce with tarragon, butter, garlic , onion, parmesan, white wine, heavy cream, salt and pepper...

YUM!

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #990 on: October 21, 2013, 11:56:23 PM »
Homemade crispy crust bread, home smoked cheddar cheese, home smoked pork butt prepared puerco frita style

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #991 on: October 22, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
Ok, this is not fancy like most posts on this thread, but it is time for a throwback on Tuesday!  I remember eating peanut butter and Fluff sandwiches as a kid.  My mom used to slather on the fluff until it was oozing out the sides of the sandwich  :drool:  Here's my Fluffernutter sandwich with a Winesap apple picked fresh from the orchard on Sunday.  It was a yummy lunch!
Mary Ann

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #992 on: October 22, 2013, 02:00:06 PM »
I've been on vacation for a couple weeks. I'm back at work now and, I'm eating miles and miles of sh*t.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #993 on: October 22, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
TLT... tofu, lettuce and tomato  :D

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #994 on: October 22, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
I've been on vacation for a couple weeks. I'm back at work now and, I'm eating miles and miles of sh*t.

Welcome back....... :'(

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #995 on: October 22, 2013, 06:25:43 PM »
Beautiful plate, steelplayer  ;)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #996 on: October 22, 2013, 06:27:45 PM »
TLT... tofu, lettuce and tomato  :D

That looks and sounds good. Believe it or not, I actually like tofu. Do you ever smoke it?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pz

• I Love Pizza!
    • good food & friends
« Reply #997 on: October 22, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
... I actually like tofu. Do you ever smoke it?

I do as well - had not thought of smoking it - might also be good in stir fry as long as the smoke is not too heavy

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #998 on: October 22, 2013, 09:03:14 PM »
I do smoke it... and marinate and bake and fry and freeze and...  the beauty of tofu is that it is a blank canvas whose texture and flavor can be manipulated to no end.

Offline chasenpse

• Battle Hill Media
« Reply #999 on: October 22, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »
Glorified hotdogs on rye sourdough with sauerkraut and mustard, with an oktoberfest brew to top off the poor man's 'german' feast :-D
If Tetris has taught me anything, itís that errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.