Author Topic: DKM's recipe 15" pan to 12" conversion  (Read 1401 times)

Offline CHAD

• I Love Pizza!
DKM's recipe 15" pan to 12" conversion
« on: December 02, 2005, 02:18:43 PM »
Hey guys. I want to try DKM's recipe on the recipe page but it's for a 15" pan. I have know idea how to scale down the recipe. Can someone scale it down for me for a 12" pan. Is there some sort of chart I can buy with pan sizes on them? There's also another DKM recipe on the first page of the LOU MALNATI'S PIZZA post. Is there anyone that can scale that one as well...Thanks again guys....Chad.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: DKM's recipe 15" pan to 12" conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 04:33:13 PM »
CHAD,

Some time ago, I developed the scaling factors to determine the quantities of ingredients to use to make different size deep-dish pizzas based on DKM’s recipe. You may want to take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,560.0.html, and particularly Reply # 15. What I did there was with respect to a pan with a 2 1/4-inch depth. On another occasion, I came up with a similar formulation for a 12" 2-inch deep pan, at Reply # 3, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,957.0.html. If you have a different pan depth, or you want a specific crust depth, I may be able to come up with another version for your particular situation. Also, if you have any questions on the formulations posted at the above threads, let me know and I will see if I can provide answers.

It may not be possible to do the same scaling for the Malnati recipe (I assume it is the first one given at the thread you referenced) without more information. What is needed is the weight of dough in relation to a particular pan size (diameter) and pan depth. I believe the size and depth may be known from the Malnati thread but I would have to read the thread to see if the corresponding dough weight is given. If so, it may be possible to scale the recipe down. Otherwise, I don’t think I can help you there.

As far as pan sizes are concerned, you may want to take a look at the pans listed at pizzatools.com. You should find all the information you need there on pan sizes, pan depths, and materials.

Peter

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: DKM's recipe 15" pan to 12" conversion
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 05:51:23 PM »
CHAD,

As a followup to my last post, I read the Malnati thread and could not find all the information necessary to calculate quantities of ingredients for specific pan sizes. One way to approach the matter is to try the DKM recipe and see whether the crust thickness is to your liking. It may be possible to come up with a formulation that will work for your purposes but I would have to know whether you want the same or a thinner or thicker crust that DKM's.

I don't know whether the Malnati recipe you referenced is the one actually used at Malnati's. If you go to this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,571.msg5245.html#msg5245, you will note that the crust ingredients for the pies they ship to purchasers includes only flour, water, corn oil, olive oil, and yeast. No salt, cornmeal or sugar.

Peter