Author Topic: Best Yet!!!!  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Jackitup

Best Yet!!!!
« on: November 03, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »
Forgive me for being presumptuous and posting my pies from tonite here but, these came out awesome. The closest and best yet to a Neo pie even though I did it in my oven in the house. These were great and were very close in texture to Pizzeria Lola's wood fired pizza we ate at recently. The rim was crispy and crackly, bottom slightly charred and still had that hint of doughy softness all at once. I used a cheater starter that was fed daily for 4 -5 days. Started with 8 oz each of SI 00 flour and bottled water and 1/16t of ID yeast, and had it outside covered with a cheese cloth for a day to capture some wild yeast too. Rest of the time was at room temp. Dough breakdown was as follows, which made 3 300g balls:

Flour    471g
water   230g
salt      11g
starter 180g (90g flour, 90g water)

I made the dough following Craig's instructions somewhat. Mixed til well incorporated for about 5 minutes with the S hook and rest for 5 minutes and hand kneaded, another 5-10 minute rest and kneaded again and it was quite silky and smooth. Bulked and gave a 24 hour proof at 60-65 degrees. Turned the heat vent off to the bedroom and it was perfect on the floor against the wall. After that I balled into 3 balls and proofed for about 10 hours in oiled baggies. Now I almost gave up on this because there was NO action, NONE. So when I got ready to make the pies I had a thick pork chop ready for the grill as back up. Was going to toss the dough and thought well, I'll make a cheese pie first and see how it goes. WOW, I did not think I was going to get that kind of action from the dough. So, 1st was cheese, 2nd was 50/50 pepperoni and capicola with onions and 3rd was onion and cheese. At 550 on the Fibrament stone these had a 3.5 to 4 minute bake time. Again if you don't think this should be here then ask Peter to move it but I was very happy with these tonite and my closest yet to the dragon I've been chasing lately, maybe even got his tail. BTW, this was starter and dough all SI 00 flour.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Jackitup

Re: Best Yet!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:30:21 PM »
n

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
Beautiful pies Jon. Love that upskirt shot!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
That meat pie looks great!  Would purchase for sure

Scot

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
Jon, your pies look GREAT! Congrats, I could tell by your words that you were very happy!! Ain't that what it's all about?
And all that in a 550 oven? WOW. Maybe I should cancel my 2Stone?
Wish I had taste-0- vision on this computer.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »
Isn't it fun when you get a happy surprise like that?  Those look wonderful and delicious!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »
Thanks guys. Mark, I have a choice of convection bake, roast or not at all. The convection roast has a higher fan speed so I use that. Stone temps using the IR thermometer runs closer to 575-580. The range is a gas, 5 burner GE Profile. One of the best ranges I've used. Was going to fire up the Red Head with the Pizza Kettle insert but didn't think the dough was going to work at all. Next time I'll know better :-D Maybe do another in a couple days!

jon

Offline I Have Feet

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »
Looks fantastic! Beautiful upskirt.  :)

Brendan

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »
I think that is a great display of improvisation at it's best....deserves to be in any damn section you want it to be in....thanks for the learned write up and helpful pics...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 11:13:39 PM »
Thanks again. I will add that at what amounted to a 57% hydration, I would not want this dough ANY wetter. It was very silky and easy to stretch, almost too easy. As you can maybe see from the picks, it took a lot of flour to manage it and launch it off the peel. It behaved like a dough with a hydration in the mid 60's or more. Looking forward to trying this in the Red Head.

jon
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:47:14 AM by Jackitup »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 12:46:23 AM »
PS......What kept me going on hanging in there and not tossing the dough due to the apparent inactivity of the dough were 3 words from the venerable 'Sensei Craig'......"Trust Your Starter". Had I not read that, the dough would have been tossed. Good words there bro :P :-D

jon

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 12:50:41 AM »
PS......What kept me going on hanging in there and not tossing the dough due to the apparent inactivity of the dough were 3 words from the venerable 'Sensei Craig'......"Trust Your Starter". Had I not read that, the dough would have been tossed. Good words there bro :P :-D

jon
that's nice...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline I Have Feet

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 12:55:02 AM »
Jon,

From your formula it looks like your starter amount was 38% of your flour weight, is that correct? That's crazy that you didn't see any action after a 34 hour ferment with such a huge amount of starter.  Is this usually what you experience?

EDIT: Were you adding yeast with every feeding of the starter, or just at the beginning?

Thanks  :),

Brendan
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 12:58:24 AM by I Have Feet »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »
Just that tiny bit of yeast at the beginning, literally no more than a 1/16t. The original flour and water amounts were 561g and 320g which equals 57%. The starter was 180g of which 90g was flour and 90g of water so I subtracted those amounts from the original leaving 471 and 230. So more accurately speaking it was about 26% of the flour/water total, at least in my thinking. And I have no usual experience with this as it was my virgin voyage using a starter with pizza dough. I have with bread before but not the pizza, and even with bread it's been awhile. It did show some very small bubbles in the oiled bags and upon stretching noted some larger bubbles but other than the dough getting softer to touch it showed no actual growth like I'm accustomed to using yeast in the conventional formulations. So as you can imagine I was VERY surprised and pleased with the results!

jon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »
Wow. What a fantastically airy crumb you got. Great job on the undercust as well.

John

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 06:44:52 AM »
Amazing pies for a first time using wild starter!  Really like the crust voids - to me that spells a perfect tooth throughout the slice.  ;D
I'm curious what flour you used.  You said SI for the starter, was it the same for the overall dough?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 06:47:08 AM »
deserves to be in any damn section you want it to be in....thanks for the learned write up and helpful pics...

+1

The rim was crispy and crackly, bottom slightly charred and still had that hint of doughy softness all at once.

3 textures all at the same time confuses the brain, and that is when it becomes the "magic". IMHO.

Very nice!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 07:55:05 AM »
Jon,

Great job on your pies!   :) 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 09:04:21 AM »
I love success stories like this!   crumb is approaching chau-like and thats hard to get at a low hydration... nice!   I love that RD 00 flour for lower (than WFO temp) bakes.    keep em coming!  

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 09:19:54 AM »
Yes Brian, it was the Supremo Italiano 00 thru the entire mix, and Scott that's what has me stumped (not in a bad way mind you) on this flour, 57% is VERY wet and soft. I started using this flout at 62% and have gone as low as 53-54%. So 57% seems to be where I'm hanging for now.

Thanks
jon

pizzapan