Author Topic: Neapolitan Style in a Mobile Turtle Oven  (Read 6703 times)

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
Re: Neapolitan Style in a Mobile Turtle Oven
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »
Bob,
I guess that is sort of what I am getting at.  The 3 other times it was cold, the dough was cold, the marble was cold.   I thought the oven spring was not enough before but then again there was the much hotter fire this time. 

Maybe I need a row of 230, then 240, then 250 gram so I can try all three with the oven being the same since I am still dialing that in.

(I should make an equal amount of each so I don't have to go crazy with the dough tool, just average them out)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 11:09:57 PM »
Well, everyone has their preferences...just as you will come to have yours. fwiw, I notice that most prefer pretty much a room temp. dough to stretch. When you have that oven up to correct temp. , your dough formula/recipe and method of making it will give you correct spring/lift. This is just part of your learning curve..as you know. I think your thought of having several different dough weights to try opening on your next bake sounds like a good approach. Others here are interested in your progress and I'm sure they will continue to give you good help (much more knowledable than me  ;) )
Doing great acbova!
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
So my last two parties I put the fire on the side and I liked it.  The last one I had it on the side towards the back so there was an L shape area to bake.  I had the fire not as hot as I wanted it but I was able to get 20 pretty nice looking pizza's and only a few disasters. 

The dough was
   Flour (100%):    3292.19 g  |  116.13 oz | 7.26 lbs
   Water (65%):    2139.93 g  |  75.48 oz | 4.72 lbs
   IDY (.5%):    16.46 g | 0.58 oz | 0.04 lbs | 5.46 tsp | 1.82 tbsp
   Salt (2.5%):    82.3 g | 2.9 oz | 0.18 lbs | 8.07 tbsp | 0.5 cups
   Total (168%):   5530.88 g | 195.09 oz | 12.19 lbs | TF = 0.075
   Single Ball:   240.47 g | 8.48 oz | 0.53 lbs

The finished dough temp was 70F and I bulked overnight in a cold garage.  The dough would have blasted out of the container if I did not put a log on it. I split it to dough balls and put it back into the garage again.  The balls were over fermented and pushing against each other like dinner rolls.  This made extraction more difficult then it could have been.  Probably less yeast would have been good.

I liked this one. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 04:14:03 PM »
Correct tony Should take less than 1/2 that amount of IDY and crank that big boy up!
The pie still looks good!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 05:17:51 PM »
A few more pictures

Me stretching

My son did some parsley chiffonade that went on a pizza with some veggies.  I think a guest made this, not sure exactly.

A slightly toasty Jalapeno Pepperoni. I love this pie and I first had it at that exotic pizzeria CiCi's.  :-D

The fire that should have been larger

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 05:20:52 PM »
Look'in good there acbova...real good.  :chef:

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 10:38:35 PM »
So after about 70+ pizza's in about 1 week here are some things that I have learned.

1) a big oven works best when it is up to temperature and has a nice base of coals and a big enough fire. At that temperature you will have to be attentive.  The pizza will stick to the floor especially if you have some thin spots.

2) If you have a short window ( about 24 hours) to make dough, a 68% will give nice results in terms of oven spring, however the flavor will be lacking. 

3) 65% 24 hr bulk / 15 hr ball has had the best flavor and oven spring.  I can't wait to try natural fermentation to boost the flavor even more

4) try really hard to avoid thin spots, you will slice them with the turner and that is a mess. 

5) two turning peels and a large oven is nice to have when you do slice one open

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 10:03:55 AM »
On Saturday while the forum updated I took some time to make some pizza for my son's stage crew.  I served 20+ people mostly teens, 25 pizzas and got in/out in 2 hours.  I had 3 of my kids for helpers. 

It was a good day. 

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »
Dough was 65% Hydration, .15% IDY 2.5% salt.  Hand kneaded, hand folded for 1 hour at 20 min interval and then bulk fermented room temp for 6 hours then balled for 4 hours at room temp. 

The flour is a locally milled midwest flour which is almost a clear flour. 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »
ac,

I think its great that you are bringing such a unique gift/treat to your son's stage crew. They certainly have no idea how lucky they are! Those pies look GREAT and I'm sure that there were ZERO leftovers!

I hope your kids develop the same passion you have about pizza!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 03:36:27 PM »
Hey Tony, When you gonna come see me at the Green Dragon? I'm there every Friday! ;D

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 03:51:29 PM »
those are beautiful pizzas. the margherita is very nice.what cheese do you use. did you bank your flame in the back ,corner, or side, just being nosy.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
Hey Tony, When you gonna come see me at the Green Dragon? I'm there every Friday! ;D

OK, thanks for the reminder.  Kids basket ball is over.  Work ends at 5 so I should be able to get there by 6pm sometime.   Are you still going then?  Maybe I could sneak away a bit earlier.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 04:26:23 PM »
those are beautiful pizzas. the margherita is very nice.what cheese do you use. did you bank your flame in the back ,corner, or side, just being nosy.
I've pretty much gone to fire on the left side in the back, then I have the front and right for pizzas.  The cheese on the margarita is fresh mozzarella from the cheap store.  It works OK, still want to check out our local fresh mozz maker.  The sausage pizza is full fat low moisture mozzarella

The sausage pizza was cooked by one of my kids, so yea we are still working on it, but not there yet.   I did the margarita.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 05:00:36 PM »
id hire that kid that looks like a new york coal pie out of johns on bleaker 

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 08:15:55 AM »
I've pretty much gone to fire on the left side in the back, then I have the front and right for pizzas.  The cheese on the margarita is fresh mozzarella from the cheap store.  It works OK, still want to check out our local fresh mozz maker.  The sausage pizza is full fat low moisture mozzarella

The sausage pizza was cooked by one of my kids, so yea we are still working on it, but not there yet.   I did the margarita.

Yeah, I'm there every Friday unless it snows or something. I'm usually there til about 8 or so. Business should start picking up soon.

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »
Well friends, looking back at my pictures I can see I have been pushing it posting in Neapolitan pizza board.  However I'm here to remedy that.  Tonight's dough was 69% 7hr bulk, 3 hrs ball both at 65F then 7 hrs outside at about 45F. 

I started with a warm oven and let my boy keep the fire going while I was at work.  The core was at 750F and the floor was 750 to 800+, and I tried to keep the flames going stronger. 

Many pizzas were good and a few were really great.    I also have a shot of the fire for those who were asking about it.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2013, 09:36:13 AM »
Those are some delicious lookin pies! Nice work!!

Your oven looks well balanced --- It looks like that by simply increasing time you could adjust both the top AND bottom doneness simultaneously to accomodate different people's preference!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:12 PM »
Now we're talk'in Tony...looking very tasty there man, good job!  :chef:

Bob

Offline acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2013, 10:29:55 PM »
One other detail I went with 200 gram dough balls.

pizzapan