Author Topic: Ev's Neapolitan Camper  (Read 17075 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Ev's Neapolitan Camper
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Twinkie looks twinkly at night....she sure is pretty.  ;)
Pies are awesome as usual, great happenings...Steve.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2012, 10:36:52 AM »
A lot of folks have been clammering for slices lately, so I tried a couple larger, NYish styled pies to offer as slices. 14 inch pies, 5 slices.
I tried both Alltrumps and Occident flour. The Oc seemed to brown better on the top. I had to keep the turning peel under both to keep the bottoms from charring. Both baked in about 2 minutes. This week I think I'll try KASL and Full Strength. Also, a 2 day cold ferment instead of just 1. The pepperoni pie is the Occident flour.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »
The bottom of those look extra good and I really like the larger cut size of your slices. Doesn't sound like you were too thrilled with the dough taste though.... :(

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
The bottom of those look extra good and I really like the larger cut size of your slices. Doesn't sound like you were too thrilled with the dough taste though.... :(

I don't remember mentioning the flavor, Bob, but since you brought it up I guess it could stand a little improvement, although it was really not bad. I guess that's what I'm hoping for with the longer ferment. Also, I think I'll lessen the thickness factor a notch and bump up the hydration a little. A little more crispness would be nice.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2012, 02:25:00 PM »
I don't remember mentioning the flavor, Bob, but since you brought it up I guess it could stand a little improvement, although it was really not bad. I guess that's what I'm hoping for with the longer ferment. Also, I think I'll lessen the thickness factor a notch and bump up the hydration a little. A little more crispness would be nice.
Steve, I know you didn't mention anything about the flavor.  ;D  I believe I've come to know how you and Norma operate/express yourselve's!  :-D
Your saying you are going to go straight into the other 2 flours with a longer ferment is sorta telling(to me anyway).If you had hit on something with the 2 flours you just tried then we would be reading about you tweaking it for all it's worth.  :chef:

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
 steve, do you remember how long best pizza  in Brooklyn cooked their ny pies in the wood oven they used. did you dome the pies. i wonder if a 4 minute bake would give you a browner top and keep the bottom from over cooking?what did you use for cheese and sauce?

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »
Bob, you may know me better than I know myself! :-D

This was just the first step in what may become a long series of trial pies, unless I stumble across something that blows me away right off the bat, which would be ok, too. I intend to try several flours in several formulations and see where it goes. Meanwhile, I'll continue to offer the best product I come up with as I go along. I'm only operating on Fridays now, so that leaves me a couple of test bake opportunities during the week.

Larry, to be honest about Best, I couldn't stand to be in that place any longer than I had to because of the horrible music which they played horribly loud! :o   Their pizza was only ever just ok to me. Of course however, I've only been there twice. The pies I baked yesterday were closer to New Parks pies than Best, even though NP uses gas.
 As far as my test bake went, the bottoms got the way they did within a minute. The rest of the bake I kept the pies off the hearth but just barely. I didn't actually dome the pies. The cheese browned enough as it was. The whole second minute was spent turning the pies toward the flame, trying to get some color on the rim.
 The sauce was straight 6in1s and the cheese was part skim low moisture  pre-shredded mozz.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 03:12:22 PM by Ev »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2012, 03:14:02 PM »
Steve, you have a regular place/location that you take Twinkie to now every Friday? Sorry if I missed that post...sounds great man!  :chef:

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2012, 03:22:38 PM »
Yeah Bob. It's only been three weeks so far. It's the Green Dragon Farmers Market. It's very much like Roots where Norma's stand is. I'll never get rich doing it this way, but it's fun and gets me out of the house! ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »
That is awesome Steve...glad you have a good time there.

There is a local saying, "if you can't buy it at the Green Dragon, it chust ain't fer sale!"   8)

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
Ya, now vonst, ain't it the truth? :-D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »

:-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2012, 04:08:26 PM »
Ya...choos!   :-*

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 11:41:46 PM »
Some more test pies tonight.
 I lowered the thickness factor to .085 but I think it's still too high. I also raised the Hy. to 62% which gave a very soft crust. More Neapolitan than N.Y. Of the three test flours,(occident, KASL and GM full strength) I and my testers all liked the occident best. Here are the pies in the order listed.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
....and the Full Strength

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2012, 11:46:54 PM »
....and a couple of more Neapolitanesque pies made with Occident and Ischia,

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2012, 06:21:38 AM »
Steve,

I like the looks of your pies made with Occident flour the best too.  They sure look good to me.  Do you think that since the Occident flour is lower in protein that is why it works better?

Have fun at my former old stomping grounds this coming Friday.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2012, 09:20:39 AM »
Steve,

I like the looks of your pies made with Occident flour the best too.  They sure look good to me.  Do you think that since the Occident flour is lower in protein that is why it works better?

Have fun at my former old stomping grounds this coming Friday.

Norma

That's what I'm thinking, Norma. It was a breeze to open and seemed to handle the added hy. better than the others. They all tasted pretty good but I'm really starting to like the Occident flour. It seems like there's nothing it can't do. It re-heated well in the wfo too. The others got tougher when re-heated.
 It was a little hard to open the Ischia dough. Almost fell apart. I think it over fermented at 24 hr bulk and 24 balled at room temp. I'll try again with less starter. It tasted good though.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:53 AM »
Steve helps if you post the Oven temps on floor and dome ( from you IR thermometer ) for this old man.  I do the NY style a lot lower temp. say 650 ish floor.
Careful on the preheat, soon as  fire can be moved push it to side heat up rest of way from side  cook middle.
Looking good !  :chef:
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
Thanks for the tip, John, and I know what you mean and gave it some thought, but I need to be able to throw a NY dough in whenever I need it throughout the day. I generally run the oven between 750-775 on the floor and 850-900 on top.
 BTW, last nights NY pies baked in under 2 minutes.