Author Topic: dough tastes like bread  (Read 1162 times)

Offline xtro

dough tastes like bread
« on: October 23, 2012, 11:23:07 PM »
hi can you help me every time i make my pizzas at home the dough tastes like bread regards gary

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: dough tastes like bread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 01:25:50 PM »
hi can you help me every time i make my pizzas at home the dough tastes like bread regards gary

What kind of flour are you using? If your using all purpose flour or a bread flour, switch to a High Gluten Flour like Pendleton Power Flour or All Trumps Flour, etc... Also, Are you doing a 24 hour cold rise method or just letting it warm rise for a few hours? This also makes a difference.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: dough tastes like bread
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 03:07:40 PM »
I agree with Tom N. that lack of sufficient fermentation is probably responsible for the finished crust tasting too much like bread.
Also, look at the amount of fat and sugar used in the dough formula/recipe. If the fat level is too high, (above 2%) the finished crust flavor can be compared to that of bread, be sure the fat you're using is olive oil to give the crust a different flavor, too much sugar can also be a cause. Try making the dough without any added sugar and cold ferment for 24 to 48-hours to see if that addresses the problem. Lastly, insufficient salt in the dough can have an impact upon flavor of the crust. We typically look for salt levels of around 1.75 to 2% of the total flour weight.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan