Author Topic: First submission let me know what you think  (Read 1379 times)

Offline Dpilaitis

First submission let me know what you think
« on: November 04, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
Hi All,

This is my first submission I'm new to pizza making and to the forum.  Thus far the forum has been invaluable to me hopefully I'll be able to add some contribution in the future.  Anyway, here are the first pie pics I'm posting.  I've been making pizza for a couple of months.  I bought a book by Ken Forkish on bread making and he had some pizza recipes in there that I though I would try.  Extremely easy recipe and good instructions.  I'll detail below, it's called his "Overnight Straight Pizza Dough".

1000g flour - I used Caputo Pizza flour "00"
700g water - tap
20g salt - Morton's
0.8g yeast - Red Star ADY

Steps
1a - hydrate the yeast - take 3tbs of warm water (90-95f) and mix with the yeast
1b - autolyse - combine the yeast and remaining water and mix until incorporated
2 - mix- sprinkle the salt evenly over the flour and pour the yeast mixture on there as well, then mix by hand
3 fold the dough a couple of time  within the first 60 mins
4 -divide the dough - after about 12 hours (sitting in my kitchen in a (12Q MIXING BOWL) or the dough has doubled or tripled in size make the dough balls.  I made five about 340g each
5 - refridgerate for  about 6hrs, then go make some pizza

I heated my oven on 550f for about 40mins then hi on the broiler for another 15mins.  Not sure what temp it gets to, but I'm guessing at leaset 600f.  Baked the pies with the oven on for about 4mins then under the broiler on hi for another 2-3.  total cooking time is about 6-7mins.

Let me know what you think.  I'm not totally happy with my sauce, using Saporito Extra Heavy with Basil.  I dilute it a bit with water to make not so thick but feel the favor is lacking something.  Any thoughts?

Offline Dpilaitis

Re: First submission let me know what you think
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »
Here are the pics

Offline Dpilaitis

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:59:25 PM »
rest of the pics

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:41:46 PM »
I think your pies look pretty nice. When you say "refridgerate for  about 6hrs, then go make some pizza," re you baking cold dough? If so, I might try letting it warm up tom room temp for a couple hours before baking.

Why don't you try making your own sauce? There are all sorts of recipes to be found here. Tom also has a bunch scattered throught his anarchy thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11391.msg103830.html#msg103830

Personally, I like canned tomatoes (I use Cento Italian in the 35oz can) run through a food mill with the coarse disk. I taste it and add salt and sugar as needed. No cooking. Most pies get a swirl or two of evoo on the sauce. On some pies such as a pepperoni, I'll sprinkle some oregano on top of the sauce and evoo. That's it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 07:45:01 PM »
Greetings!

I have the same book, have you been to Ken's Pizza in Portland?

His dough recipe is fairly standard, have you looked at his sauce recipe? It is fairly standard as well. By that I mean has stood the test of time.

Your pizza looks good enough to eat!  :pizza: :pizza: Some on this forum mention how the fine mill of Caputo is not meant for such low temperatures but perhaps they are wrong.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:47:08 PM by Giggliato »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 04:02:26 PM »
Nice work there D,
About your sauce recommendation....don't quote me on this but I believe member Norma uses the Saporito Extra Heavy with Basil at her market stand(she doctors it up)...take a look here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18407.0.html
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:44:49 PM »

About your sauce recommendation....don't quote me on this but I believe member Norma uses the Saporito Extra Heavy with Basil at her market stand(she doctors it up)...take a look here. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18407.0.html
Bob

Bob,

You are correct that I do used Saporito Extra Heavy with Basil and doctor it up for NY style pizzas, but not for Neapolitan pizza.  I also favor Cento Italian for Neapolitan style pizzas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 11:53:42 PM »
Just thought your sauce might help him...he's doing 600 degrees for about 6-7 min. sounds close to what you do. Yes, definitely not NP pizza...
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:05:41 AM »
Just thought your sauce might help him...he's doing 600 degrees for about 6-7 min. sounds close to what you do. Yes, definitely not NP pizza...

Bob,

I really didn't read that Dpilaitis was using a oven at 600 degrees F.  Sorry I missed that.  :-[  If Dpilaitis want to know how I doctor up the Saporito I can tell him.  I just read he was using Caputo flour.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!