Author Topic: FGM Raised Dome long awaited Modified Throat  (Read 6122 times)

Offline shuboyje

Re: FGM Raised Dome long awaited Modified Throat
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 09:40:30 AM »
The draft door  is in a different location then the ovens throat and functions in a different way.  Being outside the vent opening it does not function like a smaller opening.  In my opinion a draft door does two things.  It eliminates turbulence between the incoming air and the outgoing air, therefore increasing airflow, and it causes the oven to pressurize from natural draft also increasing airflow
-Jeff

scott123

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2013, 09:51:15 AM »
Crud. That's a good point, Jeff.  I guess I shouldn't be grabbing the champagne yet :)  Still, though, a throat reduction is basically two smaller doors- a smaller inside (pre-vent) door and a smaller outside door.  The success of the draft door proves the effectiveness of a smaller outside door. I still think the jury's still out on the effectiveness of a smaller inside door- I believe it's just a matter of going with a smaller opening than the prototype.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »
If I may, admittedly as one with little expertise in WFO design, this seems to be in a very theoretical space. 

Pragmatically, having experienced the throat reducer, there is a point where it is simply too much of a pain in the butt to use it if the door height is too low.

It seems to me that you can probably design a throat reducer that will also take on the effectiveness of a draft door.  But, it could be so low that I would give my oven away to a neighbor.  Maybe not, since I could use little skinny sticks of wood to get in the oven and move them around and since I try to keep the thickness factor low, so I guess it is still possible I could get a pie in and out of the oven.   8)