Author Topic: to rise or not to rise while in fridge  (Read 194 times)

Offline sallam

to rise or not to rise while in fridge
« on: September 15, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »
Through my trials and errors over time, I cam up with a conclusion that I would like to share with you, to see if anyone have noticed the same, or to correct me if I'm wrong.
When bulk fermenting in the fridge, if the dough did not rise in CF, I get maximum rich tangy taste. The more rise in the fridge, the less tangy taste I get.
Also the resting period after taking out of the fridge has a big effect on taste: the less time in RT the more tang I get, and the longer the dough has to sit to rise in RT after leaving the fridge, the less tangy taste I get.

That is why I found out that its best to suppress yeast activity while in fridge as long as possible, using chilled water & flour, and putting the dough in the freezer for the first 30 minutes. But at the same time the yeast percentage has to be big enough to make it rise in the shortest time possible in RT once it leaves the fridge. I now use 0.5% CY, chilled water% flour, bulk ferment for 3 days (first 30 minutes in the freezer, 1 hour if CF for 4 days), then ball, open, dress and put in oven within 2 hours.

Can anyone back me in those observations? are there any posts or articles that support them?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:42:14 PM by sallam »
I'm a home baker.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: to rise or not to rise while in fridge
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 05:43:47 PM »

I cannot relate to what you say in your first paragraph but perhaps I did not do enough comparison experiments to test your thesis.

However, I can relate very well to what you say in your second paragraph. A few years ago, in the thread at, I conducted many experiments based on using cold water, sifted flour, relatively small amounts of yeast (but not too small), which I added late in the dough making process, and where I cold fermented the dough for up to 23 days. I also tried using ADY in dry (non-rehydrated) form in order to extend the useful life of the dough. Like you, I found that there had to be enough yeast to support fermentation. For many of my experiments, I used 0.25% IDY but I also used up to 0.60%. What I discovered was that the long "animated suspended" fermentations yielded results that I did not expect, including enhanced flavors, good crust coloration, good oven spring and, most surprisingly, a sweetness in many of the crusts. That surprised me the most since I did not use any sugar in the doughs. You can get some snapshots of what I did in the various links I provided in Reply 30 at;topicseen#msg106401.

As an aside, I once conducted a simple experiment in which I used flour that was refrigerated, ice cold water (for a hydration value of around 63%), a minuscule amount of IDY, which I added late in the dough making process, and about 1.75% salt. And no sugar or oil or anything else. I did everything that I could think of at the time that was calculated to produce low finished dough temperatures and to otherwise prolong the life of a dough. Once the dough was made, it went directly into the refrigerator. I wanted to see how long a cold fermentation window I could get. That experiment was a failure. The dough did nothing. It just sat there like a mound of putty. I concluded that the fault was in using too little yeast, or maybe I should have prehydrated the small amount of yeast to get it going. Even for frozen doughs, my recollection is that Tom Lehmann says to use enough yeast and to prehydrate it. This is a good example where failure teaches you a lot.