Author Topic: gino's east recipe test  (Read 8290 times)

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
gino's east recipe test
« on: December 04, 2005, 02:25:28 AM »
Being in the baking mood earlier Saturday night, I decided to take someone's idea to try and come up with a recipe for Gino's East famous but mysterious crust that used the Cream of Tartar addition, as well as the Corn Oil.  To do this, I mixed up two recipes; one dough was created via DKM's highly recommended pizza crust (which is very tasty, thank you DKM) because it holds a similarity to UNO's and DUE's pizza crust (or at least I think it does) and am using it as my "primary" crust for comparison, the second, using my own variation to DKM's and adding the Cream of Tartar and replacing the Canola oil with the Corn Oil; they're both in the fridge and am going to take pics and post a review along with the "Gino's" recipe for Sunday....

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
Re: gino's east recipe test
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 12:14:40 PM »
Sorry people, I've got the results and the pictures but I'm having some trouble with my AdobePhotoshop and can't post the pics right now but I will get those up as soon as I can and share the results with you guys

Offline CHAD

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 09:51:59 AM »
Any pics yet???

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:06:53 AM »
if you use DKM's recipe, you will not (with apologies to DKM!) duplicate Uno's crust which is very biscuit-like (this can only be acheved by a short kneading time).

Here in Chicago, Gino's East has just introduced a frozen version of their deep dish pizza in grocery stores. I haven't tried one yet, but I did glance at the ingredients, and cream of tartar is listed, along with a combination of corn oil and extra virgin olive oil.

Offline buzz

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:37:30 AM »
Found this on their website!

Gino's East
11" Deep Dish Cheese Pizza

INGREDIENTS: DOUGH (FLOUR [WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, IRON, THIAMINE, MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], WATER, VEGETABLE OIL [CORN OIL, EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL], DOUGH CONDITIONER [SUGAR, CREAM OF TARTAR, FDC YELLOW #5 AND #6, YEAST]), PIZZA SAUCE (TOMATOES [FRESH TOMATOES, TOMATO PUREE, SALT, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, CITRIC ACID], WATER, CORN STARCH, SUGAR, SALT, SPICES) MOZZARELLA CHEESE (PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, CHEESE CULTURES, SALT, ENZYMES, CALCIUM CHLORIDE), ROMANO CHEESE (PART SKIM COWS MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES), OREGANO.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 08:28:24 PM »
The list has been posted in a couple of places on this forum in the past.

Gino's East is a variation of Uno's/Malnati's recipe that uses sugar, cream of tartar, and yellow dye.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 08:48:15 PM »
if you use DKM's recipe, you will not (with apologies to DKM!) duplicate Uno's crust which is very biscuit-like (this can only be acheved by a short kneading time).

I agree that it is not an Uno's style crust, but it is biscut-like when done right.

DKM

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 09:13:03 AM »
"CORN STARCH" in the pizza sauce,,, Hmmm makes sense! It would thicken up the sauce while baking. :pizza:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline buzz

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »
DKM--

When I first got into deep dish pizza making, all I could find (even in books, like Pat Bruno's, purporting to have "authentic" recipes) was the the recipe with the long kneading time, which always resulted in a more breadlike crust, not at all like the biscuity crust I tasted at Uno's, Giordano's, etc. After lots and lots of frustration, I finally went back and forth with Tom Lehman, who, having worked for years in the Chicago deep dish industry, was extremely reluctant to share any trade secrets. he finally said, "Your mother doesn't make flaky pie crust by kneading a long time, does she? If you want to make Domino's, do a long knead; if you want to make real Chicago deep dish, then don't."

Still, it took me many, many failed experiments to get it right!

Not that there's anything at all wrong with your recipe--it makes a good pizza! But I was after that authentic, Giordano's-type crust which I just happen to prefer.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 12:06:37 PM »
I completely understand and have not taken any offence to your comments.  I have always stated my recipe is not an attempt to make the ďperfectĒ Unoís or Malnatiís or anyone elseís crust, but instead to make the perfect DKM style of crust.

If a person wants a crust like Unoís or Malnatiís they need to try the recipe I posted the on it.  If they want a Giordano's like crust they need to try yours, which BTW Iím going to do today.

Cooking should be fun and not limited by preconceived ideas and trying different things a must.  When I make the Unoís recipe I add Ĺ tsp of salt because I prefer the flavor.

Here is a good example.  The other day I tried to make onion soup.  It was awful! Far too strong and salty despite the fact I followed a recipe from the Foodnetwork.  It was so bad my brother said to burn the recipe.  I told him Iím not going to burn it, Iím simply going to change it.

DKM

Offline buzz

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 12:21:49 PM »
One thing I've learned is that everyone's tastes are completely different--most people, for example, love shrimp, but I gag even if I smell the stuff! So that's why experimentation is necessary, and why you have to make pizza to please your own palate.

Homemade onion soup is wonderful stuff--I hope it works out for you! Do you put mozaarella on top?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »
Yep, I do.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 02:41:48 PM »
Buzz,  fresh shrimp has no odor.

Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 03:09:27 PM »
I don't like shrimp, so I can't say.

Good to see you Randy.  I have missed your input.

DKM

Offline buzz

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 10:06:03 AM »
Randy---

Lol! Fresh or cooked makes no difference to me--it all makes me gag!

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 12:27:59 AM »
Lol, sorry guys, I've been kinda neglegant for the past few weeks, just finished my fall semester out here a few weeks back and I am also a pilot, so I'm out quite a bit so consequently, I haven't been able to update this topic for awhile....fortunately, I still do have the pics and darn good ones at that (I hope so) and look forward to having them up within the next few days.  To at least finish what I started, both pizzas turned out fantastic and the one that I experimented with, the Gino's East one, turned out strikingly similar to the actual Gino's; I got a good feel because I ate it alongside a real Gino's east pizza!  DKM is very correct in saying one must use the "Cream of Tartar" along with both the Corn Meal and the Corn Oil, the right combination allows a very "biscuit" crust, very tasty too!  Again, I apologize for not having the pics up in time but check back soon!-----Adam

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 10:53:35 AM »
In respect to the corn starch in the sauce, how much would one use?  It's listed before sugar and salt.  I'm not too familiar with using the stuff but does 1 tsp. with a 28 oz. can of tomatoes sound good?  Will this thicken up the really loose puree so I don't have to pour it off and then run short on sauce when I top my 14" pie?  Thoughts from the experts?  Thanks.
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

pizzapan