Author Topic: some late night dough  (Read 973 times)

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
some late night dough
« on: February 01, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »
i turned into pizza an hour ago.

200g BCBF flour
55g warm water
55g room temp sam adams latitude 48 ipa
4g salt
2g sugar
1/64tsp yeast, barely. i did a 50g flour and 55g beer/sugar/yeast poolish.  salt and 50g/55g flour/water was mixed seperately and let both sit for an hour.  combined in a bowl, tore up dough into little bits and poured the oil over them.  kneaded it all together squeezing between fingers for two minutes, then added the remaining flour, stretch and fold about 4 times, then set to proof in seperate bowls for overnight. 

the dough was divided 25/25/50.

sauce is 6in1 with basil black pepper garlic sugar salt and bertollio olive oil.
cheese on top one is 50/50 stella, bottom is wet pack gio russio or something mozz

pies are 10" and 5.5" baked at 550 on lowest rack in dual element oven for about 6-7 mins
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:23:36 PM by c0mpl3x »
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: some late night dough
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:25:23 PM »
Great looking pies. I love the use of beer.

There was a place in Cleveland Circle, Brighton, MA that I used to go to when I lived there called Pino's. The pies looked nearly identical to your larger one. They cooked in a deck oven. I lived there for 10 years, so it was my staple pizza joint.

John

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
for only using a home oven no mods and pizza screens, with underproofed cold dough, they turned out ok.  sauce has fantastic tang and taste and extra sauce really brightens the tomato flavor on the pie.  the wet pack mozz really contrasted the sauce in taste and color.   the dough had almost no commercial yeast added, only warm beer.  i was suprised at how well this worked, although not as fantastic as when i used blue moon in place as sam adams.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:54:08 PM »
 c0mpl3x,

I also find your experiment with only using beer as the leavening agent interesting.  Nice looking pies.  :)  Are you going to keep experimenting with beer to leaven dough?  At one time I also used beer to leaven dough for pizza and it came out okay, but not really like when I used other leavening agents.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »
c0mpl3x,

I also find your experiment with only using beer as the leavening agent interesting.  Nice looking pies.  :)  Are you going to keep experimenting with beer to leaven dough?  At one time I also used beer to leaven dough for pizza and it came out okay, but not really like when I used other leavening agents.

Norma

norma i think using a high grain/hop based, non-filtered beer is key.  it seems there is plenty brewers yeast still in unfiltered dough that reactivates when in contact with sugar and fresh protein

i have made country 'jugwine' before and reused the mash to distill off some simple homemade ethanol before into a low grade spirits, i think the 'mash' or 'wort' floating in unfiltered beer/wines is the reason for the abv content being higher

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »
norma i think using a high grain/hop based, non-filtered beer is key.  it seems there is plenty brewers yeast still in unfiltered dough that reactivates when in contact with sugar and fresh protein

i have made country 'jugwine' before and reused the mash to distill off some simple homemade ethanol before into a low grade spirits, i think the 'mash' or 'wort' floating in unfiltered beer/wines is the reason for the abv content being higher

c0mpl3x,

I also believe using a high grain/hop based, non-filtered beer is the key in trying to leaven pizza dough with or maybe try. Are you still going to experiment with leavening pizza dough with mash or wort?  I would be interested in seeing your results if you are going to continue your experiments.

If you are interested, this is where I used the sediment from a bottle of beer Steve (Ev) gave me.  He does homebrew his own beer.  The post is at Reply 109 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11133.msg103964.html#msg103964 and the pictures of the pie with the beer sediemtnt are at Reply 117 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11133.msg103998.html#msg103998

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »
I could be wrong,  but I am pretty sure that the 48 ipa is a filtered beer like most sam adams products.  I cannot find evidence or mention of it being unfiltered or crausened.  I have had it as well and at no point though that it was unfiltered,  and I prefer unfiltered beer.  The 48 is an ok attempt,  but way back in the pack of IPAs as far as I am concerned. -marc

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 10:40:28 PM »
i usually turn to redhook long hammer IPA for an ipa, and i prefer blue moon or homebrew unfiltered beer for preferments.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
Try some smuttynose IPA if you ever seee it down there in PA.  Unfiltered and amazing.  Grapefruit and pine.  Its something else.  Good looking pies BTW.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 11:13:17 PM »
Try some smuttynose IPA if you ever seee it down there in PA.  Unfiltered and amazing.  Grapefruit and pine.  Its something else.  Good looking pies BTW.

never seen it anywhere.   

on a side-note, my orange/jemon juice with 5% homemade whiskey mixed in to a 50/50 WW/BF mix is about ready to turn into some pizza dough preferment.

also have a loaf of 150gWW/50g cornmeal, at 85% hyd with a 50/50 of hand squeezed oj/water, 2.5% salt because WW seems more masking of salt, 1% sugar and 2.5% yeast just mixed up and is sitting on top of my fishtank light (ambient temp is around 80-85) proofing for some quick whole wheat corn bread, sans egg.

pizzapan