Author Topic: Time change- wth?  (Read 773 times)

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Time change- wth?
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »
I want to go "on record" to say that the time change sucks.  I would be willing to pay another .0001 per kilowatt (sp) hour to keep it the way it was.  Now that I am standing on a soap box, why am I paying per kilowatt (sp) hour?  I don't live in a country that uses metric anything.  A Kilowatt/hr ?  Give me a break.

My brain barely functions anyway, but this getting dark at the wrong time don't help.  I am considering joining another 6-step program (same as the 12-step, just more intensive, but half the time) to get over this dark early hell.  :-D

Soapbox put away.  Carry on.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Time change- wth?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »
I would respond to that but it's so dark in here now I can barely see my keyboard....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
Actually, Gene, you are now on the same time schedule as the rest of the planet.  During the growing season here in the USA, the "official" time is bumped forward one hour so as to give the business world another hour - consider farming, for example - getting out there in the early morning when the sun is barely up is MUCH more bearable than working through the heat of the afternoon. 

Once growing season is over, the justification for the time change goes away.  No matter how inconvenient or puzzling it is to most people, there are reasons why it's a practical idea.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:33:47 AM »
Our clock now matches the sun. When the sun is straight up, it is noon, as it should be. imagine all the sun dials working on DLS, it don't.

Even tho I adjust well, I feel your pain.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 06:00:36 AM »
I just wish they would give my dog the memo .... 5:45am I can handle,  ... 4:45 not so much...........

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 09:00:29 AM »
Now that I am standing on a soap box, why am I paying per kilowatt (sp) hour?  I don't live in a country that uses metric anything.  A Kilowatt/hr ?  Give me a break.

Last time I checked all the light bulbs in the country you live were rated in Watts. How do you want to buy your electricity? In horsepower? Because that would be the alternative.  ;)
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
Actually, Gene, you are now on the same time schedule as the rest of the planet.  During the growing season here in the USA, the "official" time is bumped forward one hour so as to give the business world another hour - consider farming, for example - getting out there in the early morning when the sun is barely up is MUCH more bearable than working through the heat of the afternoon.  

Once growing season is over, the justification for the time change goes away.  No matter how inconvenient or puzzling it is to most people, there are reasons why it's a practical idea.

Actually, the idea that DST was done to help farmers is a myth. It has never had anything to do with farming. Historically, farmers have hated and opposed it. In fact, with the exception of WWII, the agriculture lobby completely ended DST for nearly 50 years.

It was brough back by Nixxon as a response to the OPEC oil embargo but it didn't help. It was extended in 1986 because congress was still optimistic that it would cut fuel consumption and also cut crime, but no reduction in either has been demonstrated. Perhaps ironically, the oil industry loves DST as they have long believed they sell more gasoline as a result of the longer driving hours.

The latest (since 2007) extension is primarily due to the lobbying of the golfing industry, the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association, the National Association of Convenience Stores, the Barbecue Industry Association, and the Candy industry who had long wanted it pushed back beyond Halloween. Not surprisingly, virtually every member of Congress claims s/he voted for the extension because "it will save 100,000 barrels/day of oil."

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 10:12:40 AM »
Sounds like a great campaign issue, Craig.  What's your other platform points?

Offline Ev

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 10:45:22 AM »
If it was brought back by Nixon, how come I remember doing it my whole life?

Offline Polo

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
I think it was actually brought back in 1966 under LBJ.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »
If it was brought back by Nixon, how come I remember doing it my whole life?

You're right, it was repealed in 1919 and came back nationwide in 1966. Nixon made it year round, but that only lasted for a couple years. New York, Chicago and Cleveland have had it since 1918.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
Sounds like a great campaign issue, Craig.  What's your other platform points?

I'm all for things that make more time for BBQ. Or outdoor pizza for that matter!

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 12:08:27 PM »
I'm all for things that make more time for BBQ. Or outdoor pizza for that matter!

Hey THOSE are the important issues for any campain, Vote Craig for President  ;D

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
Is there a cabinet position for food?  Presidents rarely have time to cook, and I wouldn't inflict that on Craig.

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 12:45:15 PM »
Thats true. It's difficult to give away the cooking hobby time, specilly if it is to distract us from our daily work stress. But then this would be to run the Pizza Party  :-D