Author Topic: Pizza Hut Thick and Chewy crust?  (Read 35903 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Pizza Hut Thick and Chewy crust?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »
Giotto, your pan pizza looks beautiful!

Offline pizza4ever

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 08:46:08 AM »
Glutenboy.
Pizza hut baked all their pies in pans, when I was there.

Peter,
This is my interpretation, since PH had recipes for 25Lb and 13-1/2 lb batches, I just trimmed it down to a smaller batch.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 09:57:36 AM »
This is my interpretation, since PH had recipes for 25Lb and 13-1/2 lb batches, I just trimmed it down to a smaller batch.

pizza4ever,

As a furthere point of clarification, did you use the PH recipe itself to downscale it to the dough batch size you posted? If so, do you have the recipe itself with the original quantities?

Peter

Offline hllywd

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 10:32:15 PM »
When the Pizza Hut opened here (Findlay, Ohio) they had Thin and Crispy and Thick and Chewy. There is no similarity to the greasy fried crust Pan Pizza slop they abandoned Thick and Chewy for. Unfortunately I doubt it can ever be resurrected even if you could get the crust exactly right. The sauce, pepperoni, even the specific mushrooms are probably all lost to time just like the technology to build a Saturn V.
Tim

BTW - Can you tell I'm still bitter about this? :'(
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 10:33:53 PM by hllywd »

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 11:31:59 PM »
Pizza hut baked all their pies in pans, when I was there.

What years were you there?  I don't remember the Thick n' Chewy being like a pan pizza; more like a thick, bready, blonde version of a New York Style.
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline hllywd

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 11:42:23 PM »
If I remember correctly they used the same pans for the Thick 'n Chewy as the Thin 'n Crispy, definately not deep dish style pans.

BTW Giotto, your pie does look good, no offense intended. ;)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:45:55 PM by hllywd »

Offline pizza4ever

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 10:36:49 AM »
pizza4ever,

Is that the authentic PH recipe or your interpretation of it, and, if the latter, what led you to your version?

Peter

Offline prestonlewis

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:45 AM »
Thick and Chewy was nothing like Pan Pizza.  T&C was cut into balls, wrapped in saran wrap, and proofed in a refridgerated tub for a number of hours before use.  When you had an order, you removed the saran wrap and worked the ball of dough so the edges were thicker than the center of the dough.

T&C, in my opinion, tasted much better than Pan Pizza does.  One reason is I hate all the oil in Pan Pizza.  T&C used just a tiny bit of oil to allow you to stretch the dough out to the edge of the cooking pan.  I think the flavor of T&C (ignoring the oil) was better too.

T&C pizza's were cooked in thin & crispy pans.  No deep, deep pans came around until Pan Pizza was debuted around 1980ish.  Back then, you still had the "super style" pizza's which featured more cheese.  You had red Lexan cups for "regular" cheese and larger green "Lexan" cups to measure out the superstyle cheese.  A T&C pizza using SuperStyle cheese was absolutely fantastic.

Also, back then, you made all the dough fresh in the morning by hand.  Thin and Crispy dough went into a small Rubbermade trash can using a food safe liner and had to proof near the oven for a few hours before use.  T&C went into the walk-in to proof.  Pan Pizza, when it came out, went into rolling trolleys which went into a roll in electric proofer.  Early Pan Pizza used a round flat piece of plastic and you'd often have a stack of pan pizza's fall over.    Also, if you did not roll the pan pizza dough out properly, you'd have the center of the dough rise too much, stick to the plastic ring above it, and ruin the dough.  Pan Pizza was a real pain in the neck back in the early days unless you knew what you were doing.  I can kind of see why PH wanted to switch to frozen Pan dough.  However, the frozen thin and crispy dough is simply nasty.  Dry and tasteless.  As someone stated, you might as well get Digiorno.  Thin & Crispy is easy to make and easy to roll out.  They should have continued to use fresh T&C dough.  I no longer eat PH because the dough tastes so bad.  I'd rather have Dominos.

Pizza Hut was fun back in the day.  I was a manager from 1977-1988 in various cities and had tons of fun.  I couldn't imagine working there today with the cheap dough and $10 pizzas.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2010, 01:21:38 AM »
Can you remember the T&C dough formulation by any chance...?
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline hllywd

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2010, 01:29:07 AM »
That would be super to have!
I was wondering about the sauce, I always thought it was different as well.