Author Topic: Nutritional Information (Calories) in Caputo 00 Flour  (Read 5904 times)

Offline jzurer

• I Love Pizza!
Nutritional Information (Calories) in Caputo 00 Flour
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:12:27 PM »
I hope that you pizza experts can help me.   I am trying to find out the calorie content of Caputo 00 Flour (or any other Italian flour used to make pizza in Naples) as compared to regular U.S. flour.

I have been frustrated in my search and I look forward to your assistance.

Thanks.

Jim Zurer

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Nutritional Information (Calories) in Caputo 00 Flour
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »
Jim,

I have some 1 kilo bags of the Bel Aria 00 flour and it has 165 calories per serving. A serving is 140 grams, or 5 oz. In terms of other nutritional information, there is 310 mg. of sodium, 37 mg. of total carbohydrates, of which 2 g. are dietary fiber and 1 g. is sugar. There is 4 g. of protein per serving.

I also have an empty 1 kilo bag of the Delverde 00 flour and, from what I am able to tell, it has 73.8 g. of carbohydrate, 9 g. of protein and 1.2 g. fat per 100 g. serving. There is also something called "Energy value", which is 342 kcal, whatever that means.

I only have small 1 kilo bags of the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour, and they do not indicate nutritional information. Maybe one of our members with the big bag can check to see if there is nutritional information listed there. If not, maybe I can check with the Caputo 00 importer.

Peter

Offline bicster

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 12:48:31 AM »
Peter,

Which 00 are you most fond of so far?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 09:22:16 AM »
bicster,

Overall, I would say the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour. It has a good protein content and lends itself well to long fermentation times, both at room temperature and under refrigeration (cold fermentation). It is a very high quality product.

Where I want to make a Neapolitan style pizza more quickly, I might choose to use the BelAria 00 flour instead and preserve my Caputo 00 pizzeria flour for those applications where it is best suited. As best I can tell, the BelAria 00 flour has around 10% protein (as compared with 11.5-12.5% for the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour) and works best for short fermentation times (room temperature). I have used the BelAria 00 to make pizzas within a period as short as an hour (using a proofing box). Many of the "egg on pizza" pizzas I make are based on the BelAria 00 flour for that very reason. The BelAria 00 also does reasonably well under cold fermentation.  Either way, you have to watch the dough so that it doesn't overferment, especially for room temperature fermentation, and especially during the summer where high room temperatures are common. Although I haven't yet tried it, the new Caputo Extra 00 flour that is now being sold in 1 kilo bags may be closer to the BelAria 00, possibly somewhere between the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour and the BelAria 00.

As best I can tell from my experience in using the Delverde 00 flour and observing its performance, it appears to have a protein level between the BelAria and Caputo 00 pizzeria flour. The labeling information is rather poor so it is hard to tell how best to use the flour. By the time I figured it out, I had used up just about all my inventory of that flour. At about that time, I discovered the Caputo 00 flour, so I abandoned the Delverde. That was good timing since the only source online that I had for the Delverde 00 flour apparently closed shop. It is still available at some neighborhood Italian specialty food stores but there are none near me.

What I have discovered is that it is hard here in the U.S. to get good, reliable nutrition information and technical specs on the Italian flours, even from the importers and foodservice companies, several of whom I have called to try to get that kind of information. Fortunately, Marco has provided information on some of the Caputo 00 flours but I wish more information was available. With better information, especially technical specs, I would have a much better idea of how the flours might perform and best be used.

I might also add that King Arthur sells an Italian style "00" flour that is considered to be a "clone" of the Italial 00 flours. It has a protein content of 8.5%. In my opinion, it is a poor imitation of the real thing and do not recommend it.

Peter
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 09:54:04 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline pietradoro

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 10:25:33 AM »
Is there an online source to buy BelAria?  I've been using Caputo with great results, but I'm curious to try BelAria.  Pennmac, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 10:28:31 AM by pietradoro »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 10:37:26 AM »
I only have small 1 kilo bags of the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour, and they do not indicate nutritional information. Maybe one of our members with the big bag can check to see if there is nutritional information listed there. If not, maybe I can check with the Caputo 00 importer.

Peter

There is no information regarding this on the 25K bags either Peter.
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 11:00:46 AM »
Further reading can be found at this link:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04314/408809.stm
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline bicster

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 12:16:08 PM »
Thanks Peter.  Im a huge fan of Caputo, but I just love trying every flour possible.  Ive tried the KA clone but I hated it.

On a side note, has anyone used:  Giusto's Ultimate Performance High Gluten Unbleached Bread Flour?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 12:28:47 PM »
pietradoro,

The BelAria 00 is fairly widely available. PennMac has it in the individual 1 kilo bags (at $2.29/bag) and is a good way to try the flour without having to buy a case of it. It can also be bought, by the case, at chefswarehouse.com ($12.42 for a case of ten 1 kilo bags, plus shipping). My recollection is that PennMac will quote a case price also. Some Italian specialty food stores also carry the BelAria 00. An example of the latter is Todaro's, in NYC, which also has an online store at todarobros.com. If you are in FreshDirect's zip code area, they may also be a possible source (they have sold it in the past but I haven't checked recently).

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 12:41:19 PM »
bicster,

I'm fairly certain I have tried the Giusto's flour you mentioned. If I have the right flour in mind it is an unbleached flour made of 100% Northern spring wheat with a protein content of around 14%. I liked it but prefer the King Arthur Sir Lancelot better.

Peter

Offline jzurer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 01:19:41 PM »
Although I find this discussion enlightening, the reason for my inquiry is connected to a controversy about the usual type of flour used in Naples for pizza.  It has been claimed (on another web site) that the flour used in Neapolitan pizzas has 1/2 the calories of the flour commonly used in U.S. pizza.  This sounds counterintuitive to me and I am trying to find out if there is any evidence to prove or refute the claim.

I will try to locate the importer, distributor or manufacturer of the flour.

The substance of the linked article from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette did claim the pizza they make is lower in calories than Pizza  Hut's version (!!!) but I believe the reason is more due to the weight of the crust and the toppings.

Thanks.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 01:53:32 PM »
Jim,

When David said that the large bag of Caputo 00 pizzeria flour does not provide nutritional information, I sent off an email to the importer. If, in the meantime, you would like to contact the miller, go to http://www.molinocaputo.it/#, click on English, then "Who we are", and then "@ Contact".

Pending replies, I checked a bag of King Arthur all-purpose flour. It lists 100 calories per serving, which is 30 grams. That comes to 3.33 calories per gram. For the BelAria 00 flour mentioned in my earlier post, the corresponding number is 1.18 calories per gram (165/140). So, on a pure flour basis, without considering anything else, like toppings or slice size, the BelAria 00 flour has fewer calories than the King Arthur all-purpose flour. FYI, the King Arthur all-purpose flour has around 11.7% protein. However, it is a different protein than the other flours mentioned.

It will be interesting to see whether the Caputo 00 numbers, if we can get them, will close the gap.

Peter

Offline jzurer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2005, 01:59:22 PM »
Thanks very much for the information and the contact.  I will let you know if i learn anything on the subject.

Offline pietradoro

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 04:03:59 PM »
pietradoro,

...The BelAria 00 is fairly widely available. ... An example of the latter is Todaro's, in NYC, which also has an online store at todarobros.com. ...
Peter

Thanks!  Todaro's is the only one that offers shipping rates that aren’t truly nuts.  I'll try a 1K bag from them.  BTW, I'm currently using Caputo extra blu, though it doesn't actually say that on the bag (does say ideale per pizza e dolce); and does indicate 9.5% protein, quite a bit lower than the Caputo pizzeria flour.  It has been excellent for super thin, flakey crusts — (at least one person on these boards referred to this as "pizza classica," though I've never heard that title before.)

As an experiment I refrigerated a few dough balls last Monday (after a 12-hour room temperature rise) to see how long they might last.  This morning I checked the fragrance (6 days) I detected the beginning of a little over-fermentation (maybe).  Maybe I'll bake them and see what it's like.  Just FYI.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 04:40:19 PM by pietradoro »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2005, 04:19:39 PM »
pietradoro,

I might mention that PennMac also sells the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour in small repackaged bags. Sometimes you can amortize shipping costs over a larger base by buying a few more items. For instance, they have most of the good tomatoes like 6-in-1s and Stanislaus, and also the Ezzo pepperoni, Grande cheese, etc. As far as I know, only PennMac is selling the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour in small packages. The only other Caputo 00 flour sold in the small bags is the one you have. Does it list nutritional information beyond the protein content?

Peter

Offline pietradoro

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2005, 04:48:23 PM »
Caputo extra blue 00: Nutritional information per 100g

Calories: 343kcal
Protein: 9.5g
Carbs: 74.0g
Fat: 1.0g

Offline jzurer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 08:31:34 PM »
Thanks very much for the information.....it looks like there is little difference in the calorie count between US flours and 00 Italians.

I appreciate your help.

pizzapan