Author Topic: Cracked Fennel -vs- Light Ground (Powdered) Fennel  (Read 485 times)

Offline fatjackspizza

• I Love Pizza!
Cracked Fennel -vs- Light Ground (Powdered) Fennel
« on: December 11, 2015, 04:16:16 PM »
Need a little help...If a recipe calls for 1/2 cup of "cracked" fennel how much "light ground (powdered) fennel would be the equivalent? Does anyone have any idea?  Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Cracked Fennel -vs- Light Ground (Powdered) Fennel
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »
I don't know the answer but I bet it's considerably less - probably on the order of 25%. There may not even be an answer. Some spices taste different whole vs. ground. Why not simply start with 1 Tbsp (1/16 cup) and add more in small increments until you find the flavor you want?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline texmex

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 05:24:54 PM »
Generally, 1 part whole spice will grind down to half that volume in powder form. So 1 tablespoon whole spice should grind down to about a teaspoon and a half. 
Reesa

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
Generally, 1 part whole spice will grind down to half that volume in powder form. So 1 tablespoon whole spice should grind down to about a teaspoon and a half.

Yes, however ground spices are often much more potent than their whole counterparts, so it is likely that he would need to use less than the volume equivalent to replicate the flavor.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline texmex

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
Exactly.  But I prefer not to have powdered spices if I can help it, so I'm accustomed to grinding , crushing or cracking my own. Generally I do not grind down much of any spices to powder, but have had to look up equivalencies for using whole spice when recipes call for granules or powder. 

The recommendation to use double amounts of whole spice to replace powder is  the most common rule of thumb I have found in various cookbooks and cooking blogs.

Flavor profiles of whole freshly crushed spices are definitely going to pop more than stale old pre-ground powders, but this is exactly the reason why I prefer whole leaf, seeds or pods.  ...which I realize is te oppsite of what you said. :-D  tomato/ tamater
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:30:17 PM by texmex »
Reesa

wordpress