Author Topic: video on how to prep tomatoes  (Read 1433 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
video on how to prep tomatoes
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: video on how to prep tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
Thanks for posting. I learned that method from watching Mario Batali, perhaps he can cook?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:23:10 PM »
I am in disagreement with this technique. It does not allow for the removal of the tough, bitter stem/end of the tomato.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:07 AM »
I am in disagreement with this technique. It does not allow for the removal of the tough, bitter stem/end of the tomato.

DOP San Marzano tomatoes do not have any tough, bitter parts. They literally fall apart in your hand, and have a slightly sweet, mineral taste when raw. The gentleman from Naples in the video is doing what most Italians do with their tomatoes, and what my family has done for my entire lifetime.

If you are using tomatoes from the US, then yes, you will probably want to remove the tough stem ends.

John

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:25:45 PM »
My stick blender does not heat up the tomatoes, and I always taste from the can before adding salt or sugar to balance. Not only do you need a fork and knife, you need a spoon for those half-cooked pizzas.  No thanks.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »
My stick blender does not heat up the tomatoes, and I always taste from the can before adding salt or sugar to balance. Not only do you need a fork and knife, you need a spoon for those half-cooked pizzas.  No thanks.
+1
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »
Do you use all the liquid from the tomato can in your sauce as it appears the gentleman in this video does, or just crush the tomatoes with a small amount of the liquid...I have found that my sauce is much too thin for my liking if I use much of the liquid. I generally pull out the tomatoes, crush them and maybe add a small amount of the liquid, maybe I am wrong? opinions?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 11:52:53 AM »
Do you use all the liquid from the tomato can in your sauce as it appears the gentleman in this video does, or just crush the tomatoes with a small amount of the liquid...I have found that my sauce is much too thin for my liking if I use much of the liquid. I generally pull out the tomatoes, crush them and maybe add a small amount of the liquid, maybe I am wrong? opinions?

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. It's what you like, right? Personally, I use all the liquid. I like my sauce a little on the thin side. I want the sauce to be slightly wet when I pull it out of the oven like in the picture below. I don't care for the dry sauce look or taste.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »
That is an awsome looking pie Craig, thank you for the input....still trying to learn here