Author Topic: NEO pie with MPO  (Read 1032 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
NEO pie with MPO
« on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
Here is my second NP attempt with MPO

KAAP      530g      100%
water      345g      65%   1 1/2 cup
ADY      1.7g      0.32%       1/2 Tsp
garlic     0.575g    0.1%   1/8 Tsp
salt       7.2g      1.36%   2 Tsp

48 hours bulk cold fermentation, balled and placed back in the fridge for 4 hours, room temp rise, 2 hours at room temperature. Cooked at ~725F for ~2.5 min

Craig feed back to this pie that it looks more Neo-NY.. (see http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21675.0.html), I agree with him.

What should I do to get closer to NEO pie. Planning to use a thicker upper stone next time, to retain higher temperature.

What else I need to improve --- Should I go with less hydration?? Do I need to change my fluor??

Thanks in advance
Bert,

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: NEO pie with MPO
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 10:37:58 AM »
Very nice looking pizza.

Just my suggestion, but at 700 you have the ability to put out a 3-4 minute pie, which is more akin to a Neo-NY/New Haven/Coal. I view your oven as a way to get to that area. Neapolitan pizza needs to be cooked for 60-90 seconds at 800 or higher in a wood fired oven. There are those, such as Craig, Omid and Foolish Poolish (Infoodel), who have put out a 60-90 second pie using a grill or home oven, but that was after extensive manipulation. My interest in your product is due to the fact that I might get a 3 or 4 minute pie without oven mods or crazy blankets. If you can get your oven to over 800 degrees with the right top heat, then you can get a 60-90 second Neapolitan pie using the dough you have.

Here is an example of what I am after with your oven, done by the incredible Scott R:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11900.msg111081.html#msg111081

Looking forward to getting mine when it's available!

John

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 11:38:01 AM »
Thanks John,

MPO inside heat is dependent on the layout of the burners below MPO and BTUs. I feel confident that any grill with a minimum of two burners and 25000 btu total can bake great NY pie with MPO.

For higher temperature, the layout of the burners under MPO is more important  than having higher BTU. With my lidless grill it was easy for me to rotate MPO and have different arrangement of burners under MPO and get higher temperature. It is not possible to do that with the majority of the grills. Majority of potential MPO users will not be able to reach higher temperature.

I am still confused abut the definition of NEO pie... Do you have to have 800 f and over to be classified as Neo Pie? I may never be able to reach that high temperature with MPO, but I do like to see how close can I get to baking a NEO pie.
Bert,

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
Thanks John,

MPO inside heat is dependent on the layout of the burners below MPO and BTUs. I feel confident that any grill with a minimum of two burners and 25000 btu total can bake great NY pie with MPO.

For higher temperature, the layout of the burners under MPO is more important  than having higher BTU. With my lidless grill it was easy for me to rotate MPO and have different arrangement of burners under MPO and get higher temperature. It is not possible to do that with the majority of the grills. Majority of potential MPO users will not be able to reach higher temperature.

I am still confused abut the definition of NEO pie... Do you have to have 800 f and over to be classified as Neo Pie? I may never be able to reach that high temperature with MPO, but I do like to see how close can I get to baking a NEO pie.

Bert - I think the classification is more about timing of the bake. In order to get that 60-90 seconds, by default the temp needs to be in the 800's. The texture of the pie comes out a very distinctive way when fully cooked through at such a short interval. Beyond 2 minutes it turns into something entirely different.

It will be interesting to see if you can get the MPO in that temp range.

John

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:34:54 PM »
With my current grill setup mid 700Fs is possible, 800F is difficult. I need a custom burner.
Bert,

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
I need a custom burner.

You need a turkey fryer burner from Academy.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »
Hi Gene, I have tried 50000 btu turkey fryer burner... I did better with my current setup on my lidless grill.

When I used turkey fryer burner, I heated the top stone till it reached over 800f, but once I placed the bottom stone, the bottom stone temp went up fast while the top stone temp went decreased quicly to low 700... It is very hard to balance top and bottom heat with fryer burner.

With current set up on the grill,  I have one burner providing direct heat to the bottom stone, and one burner is providing unblocked heat to the top stone (@ back side).  I  heated top stone before inserting bottom stone, and when I insert the bottom stone, the top stone temperature is maintained longer,and  it can be easily brought back up by sliding 1/2 bottom stone outside MPO.

I could do similar thing to what some of the LBE mod, by adding heat diffusers...but that's a bit too much work for me.

I am looking at paella burners.. the nice thing about these burners, they come in two ring or three rings. You can control each ring separately. With the outer ring heating the top stone and midle ring heating the bottom stone. With this type of burner I can have total control over MPO's bottom and top stone temperature. These burners are expensive though...

In regards to my recipe, what can I improve on it for 700 to 750f baking temp, to get closer to NEO pie.
Bert,