Author Topic: rookie mistakes  (Read 1578 times)

Offline chiguy

rookie mistakes
« on: December 05, 2005, 02:00:22 AM »
 Well i have been making pizza for quite sometime and think i have learned a great deal in the process. I was making pizza for family tonight and made a rookie mistake. The first pizza , no problem. The second pizza, I forgot to dust the peel. The pizza was fused to the peel. It would not slide of course, i tried to toss corn meal under edges and still no luck. I ended up folding the pizza in half like a calzone and flipping it onto a screen, then opened it up again. It  looked like a total mess, i tried to fix it a bit before i attempted to bake it. Believe it or not the pizza came out pretty good. The problem is that I tend to talk about how i make pretty good pizzas and then when my big moment comes along to impress the family, i looked like a total flop :-[. If i may steal a line from Jackie Gleason" I GOT A BIIIIIG MOUTH". I was just curious if others still make rookie mistakes from time to time??

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: rookie mistakes
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 09:54:11 AM »
That's why you ALWAYS make more balls than you need !
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 10:13:45 AM »
You can use dental floss to unstick it from a peel!

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 09:27:11 PM »
My typical rookie mistakes are:

Leave out the salt.
Forget to turn the oven on.
Opps dropped it.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:56:13 AM »
Yep, I used to be afraid of putting the yeast in if there was salt added already, so I forgot the salt more times than I care to admit.  Also (before I got my second, aluminum peel), building my 2nd pizza on the peel before I had taken the 1st one out of the oven.  Forgetting to dust the peel is occasionally an issue.  Until I started measuring by weight, I would frequently end up with a dough that was too wet, and then too dry, and then too wet again.  Now, of course, it comes out exactly the way I want it to.

Offline 007bond-jb

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza & Beer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:57:22 PM »
One night I was showing off my pizza making skills to some friends, When I removed the 4th pie I jerked the peel from my stone to fast the pizza landed upside down dead center of the lower door gasket area. It was a huge mess & lots of smoke, (too many beers) after the me & the oven cooled I remembered the door lifts off the hinge arms.  So...cleanup wasen't too bad after all

pizzapan