Author Topic: Job Interview Questions  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
Re: Job Interview Questions
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 08:36:00 PM »
This type of questions you can find at the Air Traffic Controllers Aptitude test...

Phar Lap

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2012, 08:41:34 PM »
Posted by: Chicago Bob
Exactly why I have never worked for someone else

You nailed it exactly Bob!!  I would professionally advise that someone that reacts negatively to these sort of questions is best suited to sole proprietorship.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 08:44:09 PM »
What would you say when I spent an hour describing exactly how they are produced?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »
John Lennon....Mind Games....
My life is too short for the risk of being misinterpreted.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »
What would you say when I spent an hour describing exactly how they are produced?
Uuuuum...you are NOT hired?   ;)

No wait......"thank you, you just helped me burn another hour at this sucky job man!"  8)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:47:32 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »
I have done quite a few interviews for positions where I was hiring, not so many where I was being hired, but my view is thus:

Questions not directly applicable to the position to be filled do more to justify HR bureaucracies than they do to qualifying a candidate for the applicable position. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
I have done quite a few interviews for positions where I was hiring, not so many where I was being hired, but my view is thus:

Questions not directly applicable to the position to be filled do more to justify HR bureaucracies than they do to qualifying a candidate for the applicable position. 
Another sad testament to this country converting from a manufacturing state to a services industry. They gotta keep coming up with hokey a$$ jobs to supply the college grads....and it's get'in real tight on that front these days.  MBA's clerking at Quick Mart etc.

Phar Lap

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2012, 10:31:44 PM »

Creativity and critical thinking are universally valuable skill-sets, and that is exactly what these type of interview questions assess, which means these type of questions ARE applicable to any staff occupation I can think of.  There is generally no one "right" answer to these types of questions, and that is the entire point...the candidate's ability to uniquely "wow" the interviewer is usually only limited by there own creativity/critical thinking.

In today's economy, the reality is that the vast majority of candidates that make it to the interview stage of the hiring process have nearly identical superior technical skills in their specific occupational field.  These type of creativity/critical thinking questions can be an invaluable way to meaningfully differentiate amongst a candidate pool that possesses like technical qualifications/skills.        

« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:38:13 PM by Phar Lap »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »
I ask questions like that to see if I can knock you off balance and see how you deal with a little stress and unexpected situations. If you can't handle it in an interview and think on your feet, not sure I want to put a pile of my chips in front of you.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »
I ask questions like that to see if I can knock you off balance and see how you deal with a little stress and unexpected situations. If you can't handle it in an interview and think on your feet, not sure I want to put a pile of my chips in front of you.
I find the most out of people when I put them at ease....for me, that is where I am able to observe their true nature.

A "stage" is for theatrics....given a skilled actor.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 10:52:42 PM by Chicago Bob »

Phar Lap

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 10:57:12 PM »
Posted by: TXCraig1

Exactly...it is the tangibles of the process--(education, experience, past accomplishments)--that get you into the room, but it is the intangibles of the process that these sort of questions can reveal that often get you hired.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
Professionals should hire professionals, not human resources personnel.  Have you not considered the educational differences between someone with a BS in Human Resources and a Physician, a Research Scientist, etc.  I have played head games with HR personnel you could not imagine, both as a candidate and as the person authorizing the hire.  In the military I used the HR department to provide me resumes of civilian professionals and little else.  In the business world, I found them less than useless.

Has it not crossed your mind that these people need to be recruited, not weeded out?  That there may be as few as a dozen people actually capable of doing the job, and, they all have jobs.  If your department managers are worth their titles they will simply be sending you people to officiate the hiring process for, and not insult.  There are professionals I have hired that are now, also, retiring from those positions, once you hire the individuals, you must keep them happy.

Your citing all those Fortune 500 companies that use the techniques you expound does not impress me, the military is 15 years ahead of all of them in technology, and, professional development.  I'm sure you consider yourself clever, not one to be manipulated in a conversation.  Well, let me assure you that along with the mental ability to complete an MD or PhD comes a certain mastery of language and quickness of mind that you do not understand.  Your very attitude toward simplistic tricks of language, (the fruit problem) or whatever you think you are looking for in the M&M problem, indicates that you do not consider that the candidate may well have the ability to manipulate YOU!

HR is good at hiring entry level personnel, but, positions beyond that require the experience of an expert in the field you are hiring for.  Your general problem solving criteria may, quite possibly, not be what is required for success in a particular position when professionals are concerned. 

And to return to the M&M question, I am quite serious when I say I know how they are manufactured, and when asked such a question I will simply explain the process in as complex a language as I believe the questioner can understand.  I do not find it a trick question, or, even a quaint question for that matter, I do not see how it could be used to test someone's ingenuity.  Its a question from my field of expertise.  So I ask you again, what would you say when a cogent and detailed explanation was returned to you?  Would you tell me that my answer was not creative enough?  Would you ask follow-up questions to the procedure?  Would you admit your ignorance and tell me it was a trick question and that you didn't mean what you asked?  Do you really know enough of the world to question a highly educated professional in such a manner?

Ron

Phar Lap

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2012, 08:06:37 PM »
Posted by: Meatballs
Insert Quote
Professionals should hire professionals, not human resources personnel.  Have you not considered the educational differences between someone with a BS in Human Resources and a Physician, a Research Scientist, etc.  I have played head games with HR personnel you could not imagine, both as a candidate and as the person authorizing the hire.  In the military I used the HR department to provide me resumes of civilian professionals and little else.  In the business world, I found them less than useless.

Has it not crossed your mind that these people need to be recruited, not weeded out?  That there may be as few as a dozen people actually capable of doing the job, and, they all have jobs.  If your department managers are worth their titles they will simply be sending you people to officiate the hiring process for, and not insult.  There are professionals I have hired that are now, also, retiring from those positions, once you hire the individuals, you must keep them happy.

Your citing all those Fortune 500 companies that use the techniques you expound does not impress me, the military is 15 years ahead of all of them in technology, and, professional development.  I'm sure you consider yourself clever, not one to be manipulated in a conversation.  Well, let me assure you that along with the mental ability to complete an MD or PhD comes a certain mastery of language and quickness of mind that you do not understand.  Your very attitude toward simplistic tricks of language, (the fruit problem) or whatever you think you are looking for in the M&M problem, indicates that you do not consider that the candidate may well have the ability to manipulate YOU!

HR is good at hiring entry level personnel, but, positions beyond that require the experience of an expert in the field you are hiring for.  Your general problem solving criteria may, quite possibly, not be what is required for success in a particular position when professionals are concerned.

And to return to the M&M question, I am quite serious when I say I know how they are manufactured, and when asked such a question I will simply explain the process in as complex a language as I believe the questioner can understand.  I do not find it a trick question, or, even a quaint question for that matter, I do not see how it could be used to test someone's ingenuity.  Its a question from my field of expertise.  So I ask you again, what would you say when a cogent and detailed explanation was returned to you?  Would you tell me that my answer was not creative enough?  Would you ask follow-up questions to the procedure?  Would you admit your ignorance and tell me it was a trick question and that you didn't mean what you asked?  Do you really know enough of the world to question a highly educated professional in such a manner?

Ron

Yikes...I am used to the anti-HR sentiment--(goes with the territory)--but you do take it to a bit of an extreme level.  Disregarding your personal attacks/provocations, which by the way Mr. Professional is not very professional, two points:

1) I have never referred to HR as the sole hiring official...go back and read the thread...I refer to "we" and the the "hiring committee" as the hiring body...that is because, of course, professionals are an integral part of the interview committee for a professional occupation recruitment, just as organization subject-matter experts are an integral part of the interview committee for a non-professional occupation...in any organization I have worked, HR is never the ultimate selecting official, unless the vacancy is in the HR department...so, RELAX, I am discussing/referring to an interview process where professionals ARE recruiting professionals; and,

2) I was trying to be diplomatic when I last addressed your proposed response to the M&M question, but since you still want to go there, here goes...with a military background, you should be well aware of the concept of situational awareness...if you actually knew exactly how M&M's were made A-Z, and then spent a great amount time "explaining" the process in complex detail to the interview committee as you have threatened, I would conclude that you seriously lacked situational awareness, which would be a problem!...again, the "correct" answer is not the point...the point is the process the candidate uses to answer the question...in your hypothetical case, you would demonstrate a superior technical knowledge of how M&M's are made--(totally irrelevant to the position), and a seriously deficient situational awareness/emotional intelligence to understand how to present your superior technical knowledge of how M&M's are made in an audience appropriate manner.            
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:48:04 PM by Phar Lap »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
Hang on...let me get some popcorn as I watch the end of this debate!  ;D
Chaz

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2012, 08:18:19 PM »
I still jus think you're playing mind games that you , obviously, have bought into....please, no disrespect intended.
What would the bridge be to go from where you are currently at.....to the highly lucrative position of being a "professional" headhunter?  Thanks!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2012, 08:27:11 PM »
My opinion could also be that I deal with people that are not working in an office setting.  The only meeting most of these guys deal with is a "safety meeting" which if I have to explain to you what that actually means, well, never mind.  I have been interviewed with pointless questions, and I answered them as indicated above, but I have only had a couple of interviews, and was pretty much hired on every one.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 08:32:37 PM »
Exactly my point, your question about M&Ms assumes the candidate does not know how they are made, or any other absurd question you may ask, but to me, pharmaceutics is part of my professional knowledge.  To you and your committee, its an absurd question, to me its actually a very interesting technical challenge, see the difference?  Your absurd question may just be an interesting problem to the interviewee.  In asking such a question you display your ignorance of the subject and a propensity to irrelevance.

I'm sure you enjoy what you do... I'm happy for you.  But stop for a minute and think how you may appear to the candidate.  I've refused lucrative offers over the years because of inappropriate interviewing processes.  I've seen trick questions to try to figure out my religion, offensive remarks regarding elements of professional conduct, frank lies regarding benefits and conditions.  I refused all of the job offers, yes, I received offers on each of those positions. In every one of those instances, I was miles ahead of the interviewers, they never did get a useful answer to the trick question/story to get me to reveal my Catholic faith, not because I am ashamed, but because I decided to play games back with them, which they did not detect as the job offer proves, plus the two enriched offers in the following week.  You will never know how many good people you will lose to the competition because they felt that people were trying to manipulate them.  

Have a good life, and, google M&M manufacturing process to learn what panning means.

Ron

Ron

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2012, 08:37:01 PM »
My opinion could also be that I deal with people that are not working in an office setting.  The only meeting most of these guys deal with is a "safety meeting" which if I have to explain to you what that actually means, well, never mind.  I have been interviewed with pointless questions, and I answered them as indicated above, but I have only had a couple of interviews, and was pretty much hired on every one.
That is sort of a good point. And as Meatballs pointed out...there are varying degrees of significance within the context/degree of the level of aptitude one is inquiring upon..

Phar Lap

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2012, 10:08:40 PM »
Ron,

Forgot to mention earlier...I have an MPA from the Harvard Kennedy School and a SPHR-CA certification, so I consider myself a quasi-professional  ;D

I've seen trick questions to try to figure out my religion, offensive remarks regarding elements of professional conduct, frank lies regarding benefits and conditions.

That is truly unfortunate, and I now have a much better understanding of your point of view.  I would just submit to you that your negative experience with the process is an outlier...at least in my experience.  Enjoy your retirement..no more M&M questions for you!  :)

Adam

Offline j3ff

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 07:45:27 PM »
I was once asked how many gummy bears can fit inside a 747.  I replied with a question.  'How many do you need me to get in there, and can I melt them and fill the fuel tanks or can I only use the cabin and the storage area?' The interviewer felt it was a good answer.

pizzapan