Author Topic: Job Interview Questions  (Read 3936 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Job Interview Questions
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2012, 10:21:50 PM »
Yes, probably so.  We need to remember that not every job needs an 'outside the box' thinker.  Some of us need 'robots' that follow instructions to the 'T' and perform a task repetitively all day long, every day.  I don't need them trying to re-invent the wheel, I just want the dam wheel built the way I tell them.

Good point, and I agree.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
"I'm in sales."

So am I which is why I have been subjected to these type questions.  Context is my difference with standard HR "DIH*" questions.  If an HR department exists then it is a given that said department can not ask the questions as I suggest because they do not possess the industry specific information to ask those types of questions without suffering from DIH themselves.  The easy answer for them is to ask how many gummybears  would it take to fill an airplane.  

*Deer in headlight

And a good salesman you must be!
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Phar Lap

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2012, 10:26:12 PM »
Posted by: Tscarborough
Phar, for a very narrow range of positions, I agree.  For the other 99.5% I disagree.

Tom - interesting...so how do you differentiate in a meaningful way between two candidates that are equally technically qualified?

Adam

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
Primarily reliability. 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2012, 10:33:31 PM »
The several points I have made have not been addressed/responded too...wonder why? Gene makes a good point too. Hiring involves all sorts of colors of collars.
I just believe a good personnel manager should possess the skills that phar lap has hinted at....but most importantly, the knowledge of deception/lying perception.
Given this, as I've already said....if you make the interview anti combative...put the subject at ease....and use some real observatory skills...you will win... 8)

They're resume/credentials are all provable so capability is removed from the equation....unless you too lazy to pick up the phone
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:37:02 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
The way I look at it, the manager or his staff is responsible for the employee and should handle the vetting, the interviews and the hiring.  After that it is HR's job to maintain the employee until the controlling manager terminates the employee, and then it is HR's responsibility to handle the separation.  HR should not be directly involved in hiring/firing decisions, although the development/placement of ads is within their purview.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 10:47:07 PM by Tscarborough »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »
The way I look at it, the manager responsible for the employee should handle the vetting, the interviews and the hiring.  After that it is HR's job to maintain the employee until the controlling manager terminates the employee, and then it is HR's responsibility to handle the separation.  HR should not be directly involved in hiring/firing decisions.

My girlfriend has been an executive with Hilton Hotels for over 23 years....and that is their policy.

Phar Lap

« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2012, 10:56:18 PM »
Posted by: Chicago Bob

The several points I have made have not been addressed/responded too...wonder why?

They're resume/credentials are all provable so capability is removed from the equation....unless you too lazy to pick up the phone

Bob - this is the second time in this thread I will say it: you nailed it--(so, I hope you are not accusing me of ignoring your responses). :)  

My overall point to this thread is that in this economy the vast majority of final candidates for a vacancy have superior technical skills to perform the required job tasks...the assessment of those technical skills is borderline irrelevant.  We then need to find a meaningful way to differentiate between the equally technically competent finalist candidates to 1) select the best candidate for the organization, and 2) avoid lawsuits--(which is a significant management concern).  Again, in my professional experience, that is exactly what these type of interview questions afford.        

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2012, 11:00:42 PM »
Be a hero.  Learn enough about your industry to be able to ask those same type questions that make sense in context and you will weed out 100% of the pretenders and bullshitters.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2012, 11:11:46 PM »
Bob - this is the second time in this thread I will say it: you nailed it--(so, I hope you are not accusing me of ignoring your responses). :)  

My overall point to this thread is that in this economy the vast majority of final candidates for a vacancy have superior technical skills to perform the required job tasks...the assessment of those technical skills is borderline irrelevant.  We then need to find a meaningful way to differentiate between the equally technically competent finalist candidates to 1) select the best candidate for the organization, and 2) avoid lawsuits--(which is a significant management concern).  Again, in my professional experience, that is exactly what these type of interview questions afford.        
Mr. Phar Lap,
Oh no...I was not referrring to you and while monitoring my new ignore-o-meter, it indicates that you,indeed, are correct sir.
And I am merely TRYING to suggest that it would be more beneficial to take the prospect out for a drink instead of the techniques you suggest. Jus my opinion...(I got lot's of 'em)  ;)

Offline j3ff

« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2012, 11:30:06 PM »
Mr. Phar Lap,
Oh no...I was not referrring to you and while monitoring my new ignore-o-meter, it indicates that you,indeed, are correct sir.
And I am merely TRYING to suggest that it would be more beneficial to take the prospect out for a drink instead of the techniques you suggest. Jus my opinion...(I got lot's of 'em)  ;)

This is how I chose my financial planner... I had him over for dinner and drinks. Made him bring his kids to play with my kids.

I am old school in some ways as my dad said 'deals are made on the golf course and later inked in the office.'
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 11:35:48 PM by j3ff »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 11:34:19 PM »
I chose mine by where HE took me out for dinner and drinks...guess they do things differently now a days though... :-\

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:30 PM »
I chose mine by where HE took me out for dinner and drinks...guess they do things differently now a days though... :-\

:-D
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:19 PM »
:-D
???   No...for real man...I then immediately invested heavy in Texas Roadhouse Inc.    :'(