Author Topic: Leaven-Temperature-Time related calculator?  (Read 617 times)

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Leaven-Temperature-Time related calculator?
« on: November 09, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
Does anyone know if there is some kind of calculator or equation where one can put in two of these values and get the third based on their leavening agent?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Leaven-Temperature-Time related calculator?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
Does anyone know if there is some kind of calculator or equation where one can put in two of these values and get the third based on their leavening agent?

Nick,

The closest thing that I am aware of to what you are looking for is the methodology described by member November at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5028.msg42572.html#msg42572. I have used that methodology several times in my own work and to help Norma, Andre (andreguidon) and a few others, but that methodology requires a reference standard. November's methodology is also based on ADY, which is the only form of yeast he uses, but the conversion from ADY to IDY or to fresh yeast is a simple matter. Also, based on exchanges I had with Craig, November's methodology does not seem to work all that well with natural leavening systems.

There may be a way of calculating the time that it takes for a given amount of yeast at a particular fermentation temperature to achieve a desired point, such as a doubling of the volume of the dough or some other reference standard, but I have not spent any time trying to figure out how to do it. November could do it, since he is from an alien planet of higher intelligence than ours and waiting only for the mother ship to return to bring him back home, but on a more mortal plane, I think Craig might be able to do it. Norma might be able to do it, even by accident, if she has had about a dozen Limoncellos and a few of Steve's exotic beers. Of course, all of this assumes that one accepts November's methodology in the first place.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:21:06 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the link, Peter! I'm not quite sure what to make of these numbers and letters in relation to my mission. The guy lists his percentages out 10 decimal places, for pete's sake (no offense). Math was never my strongest suit. I am an ADY user, so at least I'd have that going for me. Maybe if I can google my work days away for a while, some of this may start to make a little sense. Careful what you wish for comes to mind  ;D 

I think you pretty much nailed all three of the folks you mentioned.

Thank you, Pete-zza!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 04:59:47 PM »
Thanks for the link, Peter! I'm not quite sure what to make of these numbers and letters in relation to my mission. The guy lists his percentages out 10 decimal places, for pete's sake (no offense).

Nick,

This is actually one of those cases where you want to go out several decimal places. When I was doing certain calculations following November's methodology, I found that the numbers didn't change until I got out to about three or four decimals places. So, I was happy to see November's numbers out to ten decimal places to confirm that I was doing my calculations correctly. Also, when using scientific calculators, they give you the numbers out to at least ten decimal places. One of the interesting things I discovered from my calculations is that small changes in the premises, such as the fermentation temperature, can have a proportionately greater effect on the amounts of yeast to be used. That is one of the reasons why I used the numbers out to ten decimal places or more, or as many as my desk calculator would allow when I used that calculator to do calculations.

Peter

pizzapan