Author Topic: Going to Hawaii soon, any chance of having a decent NY Style while there?  (Read 1827 times)

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
Ok, so I couldn't be going to state further from NY, but as an overseas based NY fanatic I have to ask the question. I'm going to be in Honolulu after Maui from the 29th Dec. Is there anywhere on Oahu besides the ubiquitous and mediocre Sbarro chain that I've experienced on dozens of trips to the West Coast and even in Melbourne airport? My good friend and recent NY pizza convert, spoke very highly of the pizza available the the Cheesecake Factory franchise restaurant in Honolulu. Mind you this was 6 months before his life altering NY pizza experience at John's in NY (now I know most don't rate it, but he had only one other NY to compare it to while there), so I'm a tad sceptical of his Cheescake Factory pizza experience to say the least.

Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Going to Hawaii soon, any chance of having a decent NY Style while there?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 09:39:10 PM »
I have never had their pizza, but they really do a good job with most of their dishes.  I usually hate chain restaurunts that try to do everything, but they seem pretty authentic with a lot of their ethnic dishes.   I do think the chain started in California, which might mean more of a California Pizza Kitchen type of vibe to the pies.

If you or anybody you are with is a fan of chocolate cake you must try the Blackout Cake.  It might be the best chocolate cake I have ever had.  I looked through the ingredients one time when I picked up a whole cake for a friends birthday.  To my surprise it has cream cheese in it.

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 10:51:10 PM »
I have never had their pizza, but they really do a good job with most of their dishes. I usually hate chain restaurunts that try to do everything, but they seem pretty authentic with a lot of their ethnic dishes. I do think the chain started in California, which might mean more of a California Pizza Kitchen type of vibe to the pies.

If you or anybody you are with is a fan of chocolate cake you must try the Blackout Cake. It might be the best chocolate cake I have ever had. I looked through the ingredients one time when I picked up a whole cake for a friends birthday. To my surprise it has cream cheese in it.

You could be right on that if the origins are California. It could indeed have more in common with CPK than anywhere else. Pity I can't stand CPK pizzas, that includes the ones right in LA itself.

Hopefully someone on the forum has done the proper rounds of the pizza restaurants that Honolulu pizza has to offer.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 10:54:30 PM by OzPizza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:12:41 AM »
Andrew,

You might want to do a Google search on "Antonio's New York Pizzeria, Honolulu" and check out some of the articles and reviews. An example of such an article and review is at http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Mar/19/en/en12a.html. If you click on the photo you will be able to get a better view of their pizza.

Peter

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 12:34:29 AM »
Pizza Paradiso is quite popular and has opened several locations in Maui. We ate at the Kahana one and enjoyed it. Expect Hawaii prices. Nothing fancy but you're in Hawaii and can you really pass up an Hawaiian pizza.

Hang loose

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 12:39:09 AM »
Andrew,

You might want to do a Google search on "Antonio's New York Pizzeria, Honolulu" and check out some of the articles and reviews. An example of such an article and review is at http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2004/Mar/19/en/en12a.html. If you click on the photo you will be able to get a better view of their pizza.

Peter

Hey Peter thanks! Once again you are the man with the knowledge! Read the article. Straight to the top of the list Antonio's goes. I was originally a sceptical that I'd be able to enjoy a decent pie there but now I'm really looking forward to it ;D.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:44:33 AM by OzPizza »

Offline OzPizza

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 12:50:27 AM »
Pizza Paradiso is quite popular and has opened several locations in Maui. We ate at the Kahana one and enjoyed it. Expect Hawaii prices. Nothing fancy but you're in Hawaii and can you really pass up an Hawaiian pizza.

Hang loose

Sounds interesting, they may get a run from me too. Might as well get my fill of US pizza, as there's nothing but my own(that I'll eat at least!) when I get back.

If your talking about a Hawaiian like we have here i.e. ham and pineapple, no thanks. It the one pizza that has the capability to make me nauseous, can't stomach them at all. Plus, the sweet/sour pineapple taste does nothing for the rest of the pizza to me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:08:35 AM by OzPizza »

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
Ok, so I couldn't be going to state further from NY, but as an overseas based NY fanatic I have to ask the question. I'm going to be in Honolulu after Maui from the 29th Dec. Is there anywhere on Oahu besides the ubiquitous and mediocre Sbarro chain that I've experienced on dozens of trips to the West Coast and even in Melbourne airport? My good friend and recent NY pizza convert, spoke very highly of the pizza available the the Cheesecake Factory franchise restaurant in Honolulu. Mind you this was 6 months before his life altering NY pizza experience at John's in NY (now I know most don't rate it, but he had only one other NY to compare it to while there), so I'm a tad sceptical of his Cheescake Factory pizza experience to say the least.

Try Bostons Pizza when there, on the windward side...Kailua or Kaneohe, can't remember which.  When I was there, jeez 10 years ago, there motto was "Come find me Pirate" if you wanted to eat there, since they refused to advertise in the yellow book.  Awesome pizza!  Huge 3#, it used to stick out of the box it was so big.  One downside, they use alot of cornmeal on the bottom of their crust, kinda detracts, but still great pie.
Adam

pizzapan